IGNORED

James Rodríguez

Rodriguez is 40/1 shot to be PFA Player of the year.

When was the last time we had a player in the squad that genuinely has enough quality to potential be one of the best players Premiership. He's already won a fair few 'best player' awards so there is not doubt he's a bono fida baller, and if we build the team and our play around him this season .......  he might really shine, the early signs of him taking to the Premiership are good. 

Might be worth a £25 punt :) 

2 hours ago, London Blue said:

I wonder how many in the states watched?

Do we have some large Colombian population I didn’t know about?  Why would he increase our profile over here?  Getting an American (like Tim Howard) is the way to increase the profile.  We had Wayne Rooney and it wasn’t even a blip over here.

2 hours ago, Aidan said:

Think they have to pay extra for EPL games now, or i may have misread a tweet. 

It’s the same as sky, we are at the mercy of the broadcaster as to whether we see the toffees or not.  

1 hour ago, London Blue said:

Just wondered if Jame's signing has given us a higher profile in the USA?

See above.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

Coke cans are also available there in blue with the Everton badge on!

Now that is awesome!  

4 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

It was a floating billboard. Not exactly breaking the bank. 

But if they didn’t think the Latin population of Miami would be interested then why would they do it?

Any why look at opening an office in Miami or south Cali all of a sudden? Now we have lots of South American players?

18 minutes ago, StevO said:

But if they didn’t think the Latin population of Miami would be interested then why would they do it?

Any why look at opening an office in Miami or south Cali all of a sudden? Now we have lots of South American players?

My point was that it was not a major expense at all. I would be surprised if there is a major city in the United States that has more Colombians than Miami but even if there is it remains one of the best places you could advertise in that market to spanish speakers. The club estimates that with the signing of Rodríguez and the marketing push they reached 400 million people. Let’s halve that to be safe and call it 200 million. I would guess that amount of exposure is worth far more than whatever they spent. 

19 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

My point was that it was not a major expense at all. I would be surprised if there is a major city in the United States that has more Colombians than Miami but even if there is it remains one of the best places you could advertise in that market to spanish speakers. The club estimates that with the signing of Rodríguez and the marketing push they reached 400 million people. Let’s halve that to be safe and call it 200 million. I would guess that amount of exposure is worth far more than whatever they spent. 

I don’t think Steve meant financial waste. 

14 hours ago, StevO said:

Mark don’t you think the Latin American football fans would have an interest in James? Or are they strictly only interested in their own country of heritage? 
The money spent in Miami might have been a waste. 

They are very tribal.  They root for their own countries.  My Mexican friends don’t care about James, they loved Chicarito and now Jimenez and Lozano and the like.  I had Argentinian friends, Costa Rican, etc.. think of central and South America like you do Africa.  Do Ghanaians care about Pienaar?  No.  Do Moroccans care about mahrez?  No.  South America is a continent not a country.  

also the US definitely has Colombians living here but nothing like the Central Americans (Mexico Guatemala Costa Rica El Salvador panama etc) population.  

4 hours ago, Aidan said:

Why would they put his face up in Times Square?

Probably trying to make a statement that’s all.  Times Square has a million billboards, it’s not as big a deal as one would think.

7 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

They are very tribal.  They root for their own countries.  My Mexican friends don’t care about James, they loved Chicarito and now Jimenez and Lozano and the like.  I had Argentinian friends, Costa Rican, etc.. think of central and South America like you do Africa.  Do Ghanaians care about Pienaar?  No.  Do Moroccans care about mahrez?  No.  South America is a continent not a country.  

also the US definitely has Colombians living here but nothing like the Central Americans (Mexico Guatemala Costa Rica El Salvador panama etc) population.  

Probably trying to make a statement that’s all.  Times Square has a million billboards, it’s not as big a deal as one would think.

Just maybe they looked at his 95 million social media followers and found that the densest area’s of followers were in the east and west coasts of the USA 🤷‍♂️

11 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

Free transfer and 77k a week apparently. Money absolutely well spent. 

19 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

Just watched his touches video on the Everton YouTube account. His awareness is simply amazing. 

It was his confidence and the fear he inspired that I liked most. I thought he’d get a kicking and back down, but he didn’t. He’s not 100% match fit but he didn’t need to be with Doucoure, Allan and especially Coleman covering for him. Apart from fitness, you’d never know he’d been a sideline player for a long period. 

all that said, I do remember saying and thinking the same about Gomes (that’s not a dig at the player). Difference is that this time, James has an actual team around him

Just now, Matt said:

It was his confidence and the fear he inspired that I liked most. I thought he’d get a kicking and back down, but he didn’t. He’s not 100% match fit but he didn’t need to be with Doucoure, Allan and especially Coleman covering for him. Apart from fitness, you’d never know he’d been a sideline player for a long period. 

all that said, I do remember saying and thinking the same about Gomes (that’s not a dig at the player). Difference is that this time, James has an actual team around him

100%. You can tell he knows he's a good player. 

16 minutes ago, Matt said:

You are definitely right about Coleman covering for him, there was even a moment on the pitch where Rodriguez acknowledges Coleman for his work rate, great to see that proves he’s not a big time Charlie but a team player.