Jump to content

James Rodríguez


Recommended Posts

I would love James here for another season, just to see him proper in front of a rocking Goodison.

He is definitely a 'luxury' player and I can understand why he might not be a lot of managers cup of tea, especially in a league like the Premiership. Maybe Benitez just wants to start as he means to go on, and we have to respect him a bit if James isn't in his plans or he has to compromise his playing style to much, or if getting him off the wage bill allows the signing he wants to come in. I think bringing in an another creative player would be key. 

However, James IS at the club, so it is kind of a shame not to have a good go at getting the best out of him. We don't have players like James on the books very often so it would be a shame not to see him next season.

Like others have said we may not see Gyfi player for a while, if again in a blue shirt. So this area of the pitch would need serious attention if James is not around either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Palfy said:

Possibly none but we have seen teams concentrate more men and attacks on his side of the field and take advantage of the the fact he won’t track back to help his RB out, and goals have been conceded in those scenarios, it doesn’t take long for other managers to work out a team’s weakness and exploit it, he did do some decent stuff but he has had no consistency to his game bar not helping out with any form of defence he was very consistent in that approach, I honestly don’t think there’s a team in this league who would take him, I could be wrong and Villa or Wolves may give him a go. I remember many years ago when I was a regular at home games the supporters would turn on players that didn’t work for every ball available, now some seem to be advocating it, strange how times change.  

So don’t play him out wide. Play him in the middle. 
Completely disagree about no consistency. He consistently made chances, the only change was the other players started missing them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

I would love James here for another season, just to see him proper in front of a rocking Goodison.

He is definitely a 'luxury' player and I can understand why he might not be a lot of managers cup of tea, especially in a league like the Premiership. Maybe Benitez just wants to start as he means to go on, and we have to respect him a bit if James isn't in his plans or he has to compromise his playing style to much, or if getting him off the wage bill allows the signing he wants to come in. I think bringing in an another creative player would be key. 

However, James IS at the club, so it is kind of a shame not to have a good go at getting the best out of him. We don't have players like James on the books very often so it would be a shame not to see him next season.

Like others have said we may not see Gyfi player for a while, if again in a blue shirt. So this area of the pitch would need serious attention if James is not around either.

There shouldn’t be a manager in any league who would condone picking someone who doesn’t work off the ball. So at points in his career he must have had a good work ethic in his game to rise to level he did, why that seems to have changed only he knows   Frustrating but only he can change it because Benitez won’t accept it, his International manager isn’t happy Ancelotti was visible embarrassed by some of the questions he had to address over his lack of work, I remember when wearing the badge Nil Satis Nisi Optimum actually meant something and if players didn’t live up to the badge they were wearing they were rounded on by tens of thousands in unison.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bill said:

Good morning everybody,  see this thread is still the busiest,  never seen Steve so busy in such a short spell ......  5 posts one after the other quoting 5 different posts.  😀

I'm leaving this thread now because we all have our different views about James and I don't think anybody will change them.  I just hope that if he plays this season he has a good season and doesn't disappoint us.

Got to keep the forum alive Bill 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Palfy said:

There shouldn’t be a manager in any league who would condone picking someone who doesn’t work off the ball. So at points in his career he must have had a good work ethic in his game to rise to level he did, why that seems to have changed only he knows   Frustrating but only he can change it because Benitez won’t accept it, his International manager isn’t happy Ancelotti was visible embarrassed by some of the questions he had to address over his lack of work, I remember when wearing the badge Nil Satis Nisi Optimum actually meant something and if players didn’t live up to the badge they were wearing they were rounded on by tens of thousands in unison.  

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum doesn’t translate to run your arse off and track back. 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, StevO said:

So don’t play him out wide. Play him in the middle. 
Completely disagree about no consistency. He consistently made chances, the only change was the other players started missing them. 

I agree his best position is playing in the middle let’s call it a false 10, but he would still need to work off the ball. For some unknown reason working off the ball has been labelled as just defending, let’s turn the tables here why do you consider it acceptable for a player not to work when they haven’t got the ball, because that is what 100% of his critics aren’t happy about on this forum. I played semi professional for a few years and if I got in the dressing room at half time or full time and we were losing or lost, and one of the lads had not been giving it ago, I’d grab him buy throat and smash him into the wall whilst whispering in his ear that I wasn’t very impressed with him, it is usually accepted and gets the desired results, Roy Keane was doing that for years at United and they probably had the best team in the world and they all worked hard. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

I agree his best position is playing in the middle let’s call it a false 10, but he would still need to work off the ball. For some unknown reason working off the ball has been labelled as just defending, let’s turn the tables here why do you consider it acceptable for a player not to work when they haven’t got the ball, because that is what 100% of his critics aren’t happy about on this forum. I played semi professional for a few years and if I got in the dressing room at half time or full time and we were losing or lost, and one of the lads had not been giving it ago, I’d grab him buy throat and smash him into the wall whilst whispering in his ear that I wasn’t very impressed with him, it is usually accepted and gets the desired results, Roy Keane was doing that for years at United and they probably had the best team in the world and they all worked hard. 

Firstly, that just sounds like you were a bit of a dickhead with your team mates. If that gets the desired results why doesn’t that kind of thing happen as much as it used to? Roy Keane doing it to his team mates is probably why he quickly became irrelevant in the modern game and failed as a manager. 

Secondly, if you have one player who can do something to win you the game I believe that’s more valuable than 11 men running their arses of. Henry didn’t have to work his arse off defending at Arsenal, Le Tissier at Southampton, neither did Zola at Chelsea, special players can make the difference. Give them what they need to win you the game. 
 

We had all this with Lukaku, doesn’t work hard enough but puts the ball in the net. As Mark said, we’ve had it with DCL. 
Some might want a team full of work horses, I want to see us score goals. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, StevO said:

Firstly, that just sounds like you were a bit of a dickhead with your team mates. If that gets the desired results why doesn’t that kind of thing happen as much as it used to? Roy Keane doing it to his team mates is probably why he quickly became irrelevant in the modern game and failed as a manager. 

Secondly, if you have one player who can do something to win you the game I believe that’s more valuable than 11 men running their arses of. Henry didn’t have to work his arse off defending at Arsenal, Le Tissier at Southampton, neither did Zola at Chelsea, special players can make the difference. Give them what they need to win you the game. 
 

We had all this with Lukaku, doesn’t work hard enough but puts the ball in the net. As Mark said, we’ve had it with DCL. 
Some might want a team full of work horses, I want to see us score goals. 

It’s not defending within or around our 18 yard box it’s closing down trying to but a genuine tackle in when the balls broke down in their half or tracking a man who’s moving into space or doubling up on one of his teammates, he waits around for the ball and when he gets it either one or two things happen he uses it or loses it, sometimes with great ability and awareness that you just have to look and say fuck me, but it doesn’t happen near enough to allow for the fact that when he loses it he adds nothing until someone finds him again. 
You may say that makes you a dickhead but in the early 80s mate that’s how the passion in the game came out we were even allowed to make tackles then as well, it still goes off in dressing rooms and training grounds now and so it should it sets boundaries of what’s acceptable and what’s expected, we’ve needed a Keane type for years to get rid of our soft centre, because we just let people walk through us in midfield and no one seems to give a fuck. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Btay said:

I think it’s as much poor managerial tactics as much as it’s his perceived lack of effort. Remember McGeady when he said he couldn’t believe how every team’s fullbacks were rapid.. the game has evolved that your wide players have to be athletic unless you are going to dominate the ball. 

James does enough for me to play 10 and to contribute to a defensive shape. He doesn’t have to make a single tackle, intercept or anything all game but if he pushes the play to where we tactically want it or closes down the space, passing lane or man he’s been told to then that’s enough.

I don't think he does. Well actually that isnt true, he can contribute in the 10 role to the team shape but more often than not he doesnt. If he plays 10 he will leave us 3 v 2 in centre midfield. Ancellotti played him as more of a second striker, whereas I expect Benitez will want more energy and defensive responsibility from his 10, which is more of an advanced midfielder. 

We saw it the other day, albeit wide. He lost the ball in the centre of the pitch, they countered but it was slowed down by our other players and then they moved it to Kenny's side, created a 2 v 1 down the right and James was walking back. I don't think that is acceptable at this level of football. I don't think it is acceptable in 5 a side either FWIW.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but it doesn't sound like he feels as though he is wanted here and I don't get the impression he is too bothered about staying either. 

I did mention it and also said if he’s as good as some say there will be a few who come in for him we shouldn’t have to much of a problem getting 30-40 million for him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Palfy said:

It’s not defending within or around our 18 yard box it’s closing down trying to but a genuine tackle in when the balls broke down in their half or tracking a man who’s moving into space or doubling up on one of his teammates, he waits around for the ball and when he gets it either one or two things happen he uses it or loses it, sometimes with great ability and awareness that you just have to look and say fuck me, but it doesn’t happen near enough to allow for the fact that when he loses it he adds nothing until someone finds him again. 
You may say that makes you a dickhead but in the early 80s mate that’s how the passion in the game came out we were even allowed to make tackles then as well, it still goes off in dressing rooms and training grounds now and so it should it sets boundaries of what’s acceptable and what’s expected, we’ve needed a Keane type for years to get rid of our soft centre, because we just let people walk through us in midfield and no one seems to give a fuck. 

Great. Let’s try to be like the early 80’s, 30 years later. The game has moved on. You should too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope Benitez has some guaranteed in comings because with him not wanting James or Delph and Gomes being allowed to leave if the offers right, and Gylfi’s problems, we could find ourselves struggling to put a decent midfield out, only takes a injury to Allan Doucoure or Davies and we could be struggling even to put shit out on the pitch.  But I’m sure we’ve got it covered one out one in already lined up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I hope Benitez has some guaranteed in comings because with him not wanting James or Delph and Gomes being allowed to leave if the offers right, and Gylfi’s problems, we could find ourselves struggling to put a decent midfield out, only takes a injury to Allan Doucoure or Davies and we could be struggling even to put shit out on the pitch.  But I’m sure we’ve got it covered one out one in already lined up. 

I believe we are waiting on James to leave before we pull the trigger on deals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Palfy said:

He needs a slower pace and less physical league in a warmer climate. I don’t think he relishes the north of England on a freezing night near the end of November being kicked by Burnley.  

Bit like Her Grace Meghan Markle not wanting to glad hand in Newcastle in the winter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Bailey said:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/james-rodriguez-lionel-messi-everton-21243669

 

More comments from James that seem a bit like he isn't too bothered about being here and in the same way that the club don't seem to be doing all they can to keep him either.

I think of you wanted to you could take those comments as positive or negative. He’s not saying anything we don’t know really. 
 

Right now he’s an Everton player, I hope he starts next Saturday. After that I’ll have seen him in the flesh, I’ll be a bit less upset if he went after that but I’d be much happier watching him at Goodison Park all season (when he’s fit, before the haters start hating).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thing is it’s probably been a pretty humbling summer for James. First with Columbia snubbing him and now he may have thought the interest in him would be higher and could be a bit disappointed. 

So either he comes out firing to prove a point or he packs it in really. His comments seem to suggest the first which hopefully is only a good thing for us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Btay said:

Thing is it’s probably been a pretty humbling summer for James. First with Columbia snubbing him and now he may have thought the interest in him would be higher and could be a bit disappointed. 

So either he comes out firing to prove a point or he packs it in really. His comments seem to suggest the first which hopefully is only a good thing for us.

This, he is here, none of the big teams have come in for him, he has a point to prove, to everyone, maybe even himself. This could motivate him to have a blinder for us.

If he does then maybe he can earn a move to a Champs League club next year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, StevO said:

I think of you wanted to you could take those comments as positive or negative. He’s not saying anything we don’t know really. 
 

Right now he’s an Everton player, I hope he starts next Saturday. After that I’ll have seen him in the flesh, I’ll be a bit less upset if he went after that but I’d be much happier watching him at Goodison Park all season (when he’s fit, before the haters start hating).

I think you would have to be overly optimistic look at them positively. He is basically saying, I don't know what is happening and he doesn't rule out either staying or going. That isn't me saying James wants to leave, he doesn't give a shit etc, it is more of a case that the club don't appear to have made him feel as though he is wanted for whatever reason and that is probably as much as anything to do with his "we will see" comments. 

Contrast that to the comments more recently made by Allan for example. He knows he is wanted and he clearly wants to be a part of our future. He isn't sitting on the fence. 

@Btay is right though, he has a point to prove to everyone at the moment. There doesn't appear to be that much interest, at least at the prices, so hopefully he comes out firing to show everyone how good he is just like he did at the start of last season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Next year is a World Cup year and if he wants to play his way back into Colombia's team then half-arsing it through this season simply isn't an option. It's reason #287 to keep him. Being snubbed by his national team clearly upset him. Having a barn-stormer of a season for Everton will see him back in his national team. Said it before and I'll say it again, we'll be mad if we let him leave. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Bailey said:

I think you would have to be overly optimistic look at them positively. He is basically saying, I don't know what is happening and he doesn't rule out either staying or going. That isn't me saying James wants to leave, he doesn't give a shit etc, it is more of a case that the club don't appear to have made him feel as though he is wanted for whatever reason and that is probably as much as anything to do with his "we will see" comments. 

Contrast that to the comments more recently made by Allan for example. He knows he is wanted and he clearly wants to be a part of our future. He isn't sitting on the fence. 

@Btay is right though, he has a point to prove to everyone at the moment. There doesn't appear to be that much interest, at least at the prices, so hopefully he comes out firing to show everyone how good he is just like he did at the start of last season.

Well you would think that, you’ve chosen to look at them negatively 😂miserable bastard. 
 

I agree with you though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quoted as saying he wants to go to Porto it’s his dream to go back there, for that to happen he would have to be prepared to take a considerable cut in wages, let’s see how much he’s prepared to give for his dream to come true.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Isaiah said:

He said he would like to play there again "one day". A handful of media outlets have spun this as him wanting away. 

Reason #298 for us to keep him is to continue the media's collective outrage that James Rodriguez plays for Everton. I lap up their tears like Eric Cartman. 

How many times do we see a journo ask a loaded question to our players…. And our fans buy it time and time again. 
 

Ask me if I would like to get paid millions one day to play for a CL team. If I say no I would t want to play CL football….. my manager would probably bench me for not being ambitious and believing in myself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A bit more on it here:

 

If you click on the tweet it should give you the option to translate, but it says James doesn't think he will play Saturday and that he has trained away from the group for 3 days. 

I have no idea how reliable it is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Bailey said:

A bit more on it here:

 

If you click on the tweet it should give you the option to translate, but it says James doesn't think he will play Saturday and that he has trained away from the group for 3 days. 

I have no idea how reliable it is.

That face is exactly how I feel reading anything Everton squad related. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Problem with football these days is that footballing talent is not the top requirement and it doesn't guarantee a place in the team.  Managers are looking for more than that, fight, guts, determination and the will to run yourself into the ground. That's why there's more players without the talent of James who will get in the team ahead of him.

I,m certain that Rafa knew all there was to know about James before he took the job and had him marked down as one to go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...