IGNORED

James Rodríguez

10 hours ago, MC11 said:

Guy is just class, if we can’t allow for one special player to relax defensive duties there’s something wrong.

Not a chance he should be left out. If he’s fit he plays. 

Completely agree, when we’ve got players who can do the defensive shift. At the moment, we don’t and that’s the problem. 

Unless James is injured he starts every game for me - and the rest of the team HAVE just have to adapt around him to make up for James defensive shortfalls. He is that player who sees (and delivers) to parts others don't see. 

It would be great if James had the ability to put in defensive duties as well, but lets be honest with ourselves if he did have this in his locker he would still most likely be in Real's starting line up and not at Everton on a free transfer!!!

Players that can do both come with a hefty price tag!! 

On 01/12/2020 at 19:40, Shukes said:

Bailey, if James lined up in that same position 100 times, you really think the keeper would save his shot 97 times?.

Trust me, there isn’t a keeper in the world that will save 97 of my shots from that position.

And if they are getting the stats from the resulting shot, the surely you can see just how dumb they are? Otherwise it would simply be 0% haha. 

His shot that was blocked wasn’t against a player on front of him, but a very smart lunging dive from a player to block it.

I’m only playing devils advocate here, hence the cheeky bit with the offside goal haha. But those daft Fifa stats they are using these days are so flawed. The amount of times i have litter at counted shots on target, only to see SSP or some other media report a lower number. Stats are never a reliable form mate, unless it goals scored and conceded.

None of his chances were set pieces were they? Though even there he set up a disallowed goal for Richie.

These aren't stats that someone makes up and attributes a figure. They are stats based on previous history of shots being scored from that position. It isn't someone's opinion.

The difference is you would expect James to score more than the average xG because of the quality he has but if the goal goes in from any of his shots, the keeper makes an error. 

The chances he created were mainly set pieces. The main one was for Holgate. 

You can downplay xG and the similar stats all you like but they are massive in the scouting of every top club. There will be a stats department supporting all the scouting teams in the Premier League, Championship and maybe even further down. You should learn to embrace it! ;)

I’m all for stats and their usefulness, but the expected stats don’t do it for me. 
Concrete stuff like passes completed, tackles won, headers won, I’m all for that because there is a definitive outcome. But expected goals, nah, not having it. The goal goes in or it doesn’t. That stat isn’t making the game better for anyone.  

Someone has created that stat to make their job at Opta a bit more important. 😂 

On 02/12/2020 at 15:17, RuffRob said:

Unless James is injured he starts every game for me - and the rest of the team HAVE just have to adapt around him to make up for James defensive shortfalls. He is that player who sees (and delivers) to parts others don't see. 

It would be great if James had the ability to put in defensive duties as well, but lets be honest with ourselves if he did have this in his locker he would still most likely be in Real's starting line up and not at Everton on a free transfer!!!

Players that can do both come with a hefty price tag!! 

I agree in theory but changing a team to adapt to 1 person is a lot harder and more dangerous than adapting the player to the team. 

I think the best way to remedy this is put him central and have someone on his right to do the defensive part. But, since we’re missing both fullbacks we can’t do that so for this period he either needs to do more defensive work or come on as a sub.

I know that’s not going to be popular but I’d like to at least know if people understand where I’m coming from!

2 hours ago, Matt said:

I agree in theory but changing a team to adapt to 1 person is a lot harder and more dangerous than adapting the player to the team. 

I think the best way to remedy this is put him central and have someone on his right to do the defensive part. But, since we’re missing both fullbacks we can’t do that so for this period he either needs to do more defensive work or come on as a sub.

I know that’s not going to be popular but I’d like to at least know if people understand where I’m coming from!

I do we’ve lost 4 of the last 5 games we need everyone to do there bit when it comes to defending and stopping the rot, the we will score more goals than you style of football is great when you’re winning 4-3 or 3-2, teams have worked us out that if they attack us on a our right they stand a good chance of over running us and creating chances.

So I agree with you Matt I’d rather give him the last 25 minutes as a sub in a game we are drawing 0-0, and let him have the stage to try and win us the game, because for me it’s frustrating watching us being pulled apart and someone is doing very little to stop it because his play is considered to important that it absolves him from tracking back and defending yet we are losing games and being run ragged on his side, no one is that good at what he does to be given a free reign when it comes to defending, and if there is someone somewhere it certainly isn’t him from what I’ve witnessed lately. 
Everyone needs to pull there weight at times like these no exemptions . 

Just finished reading an article on Ancelotti speaking about James, which said he won’t run for 90 minutes his strengths are when in possession creating for others and scoring, I couldn’t agree more my problem is when he’s not playing to his strengths which he hasn’t for a few games, then shouldn’t he make up for that by trying to help out in other area’s, otherwise there’s no point being on the pitch, I’ve always had a problem with players that don’t contribute when they maybe having an off period, maybe just maybe that’s why he was out of favour for so long at Madrid, because when you’re not being creative and scoring goals you have no other right to be on the pitch. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Just finished reading an article on Ancelotti speaking about James, which said he won’t run for 90 minutes his strengths are when in possession creating for others and scoring, I couldn’t agree more my problem is when he’s not playing to his strengths which he hasn’t for a few games, then shouldn’t he make up for that by trying to help out in other area’s, otherwise there’s no point being on the pitch, I’ve always had a problem with players that don’t contribute when they maybe having an off period, maybe just maybe that’s why he was out of favour for so long at Madrid, because when you’re not being creative and scoring goals you have no other right to be on the pitch. 

It could be worse....  He could do a Gylfi or Gomes where he pretends he's defending and when he's supposed to be doing the things his ability should.... He's passing backwards and sideways 

Not excusing his but it has to be said, when he's on the ball it makes us a far better team. 

33 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

It could be worse....  He could do a Gylfi or Gomes where he pretends he's defending and when he's supposed to be doing the things his ability should.... He's passing backwards and sideways 

Not excusing his but it has to be said, when he's on the ball it makes us a far better team. 

When he’s on his game there aren’t many better for me his first 3-4 games he was head and shoulders above anyone on the pitch he was mesmerising to watch, as a team going forward he changed the dynamics we were a force to be reckoned with, now he’s gone very quite for equally the same amount of games we need consistency from our better players, we started the season with the front 3 winning motm now it’s Allan  and Pickford that speaks volumes for me and a direction we don't want to heading in.

I thought you would agree that no player should be gifted the right not to have to take his responsibility for defending as a team and putting a full shift in for 90 minutes, that's always been your issue with most players their work rate, when you're doing what you're there to do and the team are winning you get excused, but when you're not and the team are being out played and out fought you don't. 

He created a good few chances last match, but other players made the wrong decisions. An example was DCLs first touch when being put clean through. 
But because stats don’t count it as a chance, does it mean he didn’t create the chance?

A corner and a Richie scores. Puts the ball in the net, but just offside, good shot on target, powerful shot blocked. Was it really that bad of a game from him?

4 minutes ago, Shukes said:

He created a good few chances last match, but other players made the wrong decisions. An example was DCLs first touch when being put clean through. 
But because stats don’t count it as a chance, does it mean he didn’t create the chance?

A corner and a Richie scores. Puts the ball in the net, but just offside, good shot on target, powerful shot blocked. Was it really that bad of a game from him?

Don’t think anyone has said it was a bad game have they?

5 minutes ago, Shukes said:

For him damn right it was.

I know it’s a bit of a cop out stat but I think he’s leading Europe for “second assists”. He finds the right pass often. Defensively though, I don’t need to see him snapping into challenges, an extra 10% on cutting down passing lanes and that would make a massive difference.

Expect a big game from him against Burnley though.

On 03/12/2020 at 16:56, Matt said:

I think that always depends on the player, and also the quality of the player you have available to replace said player in the starting line up. Who start ahead of a fit James? 

I do keep making the same point - this group of midfield players have only been together for a few months - so they will all be adapting - but only 10 games in to a season which as been disrupted twice by two lengthy international breaks.

Both training and playing time together is what is needed - you just can't short cut this. Arsenal are going through the very same sort a period as us at the moment. 

In Ancelotti’s pre match press conference he was asked out right about James and Richarlison’s lack of assists and goals, which he accepted was a problem but gave the reason for James performance’s being the travelling and playing for the national team, I’m not going to dispute that that is the reason for his below par performances, what I was pleased to hear was that he was not in denial of his performance’s lately and believes that because he’s not got anymore international’s until March we should see him back at his best, let’s hope so we need James firing on all cylinders. 

5 hours ago, Palfy said:

When he’s on his game there aren’t many better for me his first 3-4 games he was head and shoulders above anyone on the pitch he was mesmerising to watch, as a team going forward he changed the dynamics we were a force to be reckoned with, now he’s gone very quite for equally the same amount of games we need consistency from our better players, we started the season with the front 3 winning motm now it’s Allan  and Pickford that speaks volumes for me and a direction we don't want to heading in.

I thought you would agree that no player should be gifted the right not to have to take his responsibility for defending as a team and putting a full shift in for 90 minutes, that's always been your issue with most players their work rate, when you're doing what you're there to do and the team are winning you get excused, but when you're not and the team are being out played and out fought you don't. 

No not excusing him at all.  I'm just pointing out that he probably doesn't do any less than Gylfi or Gomes but just doesn't try and kid people into thinking he's having a go.

But he is one player who despite not working hard can still make things very easy for the team with his quality on the ball. 

11 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

No not excusing him at all.  I'm just pointing out that he probably doesn't do any less than Gylfi or Gomes but just doesn't try and kid people into thinking he's having a go.

But he is one player who despite not working hard can still make things very easy for the team with his quality on the ball. 

Yes he can I know that I’ve witnessed it, but we haven’t seen him on his game lately I’m not going to be in denial and say he’s played well when he hasn’t, so for me if he isn’t producing and still not working on his defensive duties he shouldn’t be starting, put him on the bench and bring him on for the last 20 minutes or so that might give him the rest and impetus he needs. 

If Everton is going to make champions league, it’s with James. Back this man 100% through the good games and bad.

“James Rodriguez is in good condition. He had a problem as everyone knows, this week he trained well and properly. 

“We have to consider that for this player to travel around the world to play international games, and the fact that he - and all the other internationals - to be here until March will be good for him.

Still find it funny that if Richie gets his goal, James gets an assist,

Or he is a few inches back, he gets a goal.

If DCL takes a better first touch when through and scores, he gets another assist.

Could have easily finished the game with a goal and two assists. Shit.... I hope every player plays below par next game 😉

On 03/12/2020 at 16:51, StevO said:

I’m all for stats and their usefulness, but the expected stats don’t do it for me. 
Concrete stuff like passes completed, tackles won, headers won, I’m all for that because there is a definitive outcome. But expected goals, nah, not having it. The goal goes in or it doesn’t. That stat isn’t making the game better for anyone.  

Someone has created that stat to make their job at Opta a bit more important. 😂 

😂

Those "concrete" stats also don't tell you the whole story though. A bad pass that gets to his man is still a completed pass. A shot from 50 yards out that dribbles to the keeper is still a shot on target. 

I like XG because it gives you a predicted output and therefore gives more insight behind the basic stats. 

As with all stats though they require you to watch the game and make up your own conclusions. Any stat is just there to support or contradict a view and IMO should never be used on its own. 

I would also say that using stats is also a good way to see if what you thought you saw was correct. We are all guilty of our subconscious biases!

4 hours ago, Shukes said:

Still find it funny that if Richie gets his goal, James gets an assist,

Or he is a few inches back, he gets a goal.

If DCL takes a better first touch when through and scores, he gets another assist.

Could have easily finished the game with a goal and two assists. Shit.... I hope every player plays below par next game 😉

Ifs ifs and more ifs are for dreamers not realists, if I picked the 6 numbers that were picked for last week’s lottery we wouldn’t be having this conversation I’d be on some beach somewhere enjoying my millions, even a realist like me can dream 😴 😉

Just now, Palfy said:

Ifs ifs and more ifs are for dreamers not realists, if I picked the 6 numbers that were picked for last week’s lottery we wouldn’t be having this conversation I’d be on some beach somewhere enjoying my millions, even a realist like me can dream 😴 😉

Point is, if other players score those chances suddenly let James is a candidate for MoM. Shows how fickle is fans can be.... or just how much we lack football knowledge haha 

If people still find it acceptable that certain players are to good to work for the defence of the team, you need to be watching the City game Kevin Debruyne the best midfielder in the world going forward, still runs his socks off chasing back to defend, now that’s what I call class. 

27 minutes ago, Palfy said:

If people still find it acceptable that certain players are to good to work for the defence of the team, you need to be watching the City game Kevin Debruyne the best midfielder in the world going forward, still runs his socks off chasing back to defend, now that’s what I call class. 

Grand delusions aside.... do you think we could afford, let alone they would come to us, players of that level?

Maybe your right and we should just sell Rodriguez.

Personally I think he is the type of player that we need on the pitch. Today is a great example of what I mean. 
Was it a shit assist by Rodriguez, or a bad miss from Sigurdson?

25 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I thought James got stuck in a lot more today in fairness to him. His contribution going forward was significant too. 

He is another that suits playing in the 433 formation more than with the 5 at the back.

The whole team suits playing 433 rather than 5 at the back. Thank god Delph contributed by getting injured today.