IGNORED

James Rodríguez

43 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Grand delusions aside.... do you think we could afford, let alone they would come to us, players of that level?

Maybe your right and we should just sell Rodriguez.

Personally I think he is the type of player that we need on the pitch. Today is a great example of what I mean. 
Was it a shit assist by Rodriguez, or a bad miss from Sigurdson?

Where did I ever say sell him? And where did I say we could afford players like that, obviously you completely missed my point which is no one is to good not to put a shift in and defend for the team for 90 minutes as Keown said no team in the PL can afford to carry players. No it was a great pass and an equally good save, for me no player no matter how good he or his manager thinks he is should be allowed not to work hard in all areas for the team, and no matter what you or anyone tells me I will never accept that that should be allowed by anyone in any team, Everton are a team not James and 10 others they all have to pull their weight. 

56 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Where did I ever say sell him? And where did I say we could afford players like that, obviously you completely missed my point which is no one is to good not to put a shift in and defend for the team for 90 minutes as Keown said no team in the PL can afford to carry players. No it was a great pass and an equally good save, for me no player no matter how good he or his manager thinks he is should be allowed not to work hard in all areas for the team, and no matter what you or anyone tells me I will never accept that that should be allowed by anyone in any team, Everton are a team not James and 10 others they all have to pull their weight. 

Where did I ever say you said sell him?

Palf, you gotta start to realise this is a forum with a lot of memebers.... it’s not the Palfy show!

Not all about you mate.

4 hours ago, Shukes said:

Where did I ever say you said sell him?

Palf, you gotta start to realise this is a forum with a lot of memebers.... it’s not the Palfy show!

Not all about you mate.

Just responding to your posts mate after all isn’t that the idea of a forum, I certainly don’t think it’s all about me but if that’s how you feel I’ll keep away from what you say in the future, obviously I’ve upset you somewhere. 

9 hours ago, Palfy said:

Just responding to your posts mate after all isn’t that the idea of a forum, I certainly don’t think it’s all about me but if that’s how you feel I’ll keep away from what you say in the future, obviously I’ve upset you somewhere. 

Haha in no way have you upset me mate, I’m just teasing mate.

He’s SO good going forward that I accept that he’s not the best defensively/tracking someone. It’s not lack of effort/attitude - maybe he knows what his body can/can’t do. Look at Delph yesterday - James is less likely to pull up like that as he rarely sprints! James is a match winner - he will provide moments of magic in every match - when they’re finished off (and we win) he’s hailed a genius... when they’re not, people tend to notice that he failed to track Dwight McNeil’s run in the 85th minute...

18 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Haha in no way have you upset me mate, I’m just teasing mate.

👍 had me going there, I’m going to lay off the James crap for a bit I’m letting what I see as his negatives hide his positives, of which you have righty pointed out he has many. 
That’s more down to us as a team not hitting the heights of a few weeks ago, but I trust Ancelotti and I’m sure we will get back to winning ways very soon Chelsea would be nice. 
And by the way your still a wanker 😂

11 minutes ago, Palfy said:

👍 had me going there, I’m going to lay off the James crap for a bit I’m letting what I see as his negatives hide his positives, of which you have righty pointed out he has many. 
That’s more down to us as a team not hitting the heights of a few weeks ago, but I trust Ancelotti and I’m sure we will get back to winning ways very soon Chelsea would be nice. 
And by the way your still a wanker 😂

I am mate haha. 
But I’m just as guilty as seeing it the opposite way if I’m honest. I see him do those little drag back and quick passes and it blows my mind, so I don’t notice him being lazy as much.

I think I’m willing him to do something special so much, I kinda gloss over the bad parts.

On 05/12/2020 at 14:52, Bailey said:

😂

Those "concrete" stats also don't tell you the whole story though. A bad pass that gets to his man is still a completed pass. A shot from 50 yards out that dribbles to the keeper is still a shot on target. 

I like XG because it gives you a predicted output and therefore gives more insight behind the basic stats. 

As with all stats though they require you to watch the game and make up your own conclusions. Any stat is just there to support or contradict a view and IMO should never be used on its own. 

I would also say that using stats is also a good way to see if what you thought you saw was correct. We are all guilty of our subconscious biases!

The first two paragraphs show the difference. As much as a stat will never show you everything, it still shows a completed pass was a completed pass. 
xG shows a prediction. 
Plenty of people predicted we would beat Burnley, but a prediction is still just a prediction. 

On 05/12/2020 at 16:14, Bailey said:

I thought James got stuck in a lot more today in fairness to him. His contribution going forward was significant too. 

He is another that suits playing in the 433 formation more than with the 5 at the back.

This. Though we were much better when we moved to a three and Gomes came on. James was much more effective with Gomes and Doucoure linking up with him a bit more. If Gylfi scores then James helps win the game with a brilliant pass. 

9 hours ago, c1982 said:

He’s SO good going forward that I accept that he’s not the best defensively/tracking someone. It’s not lack of effort/attitude - maybe he knows what his body can/can’t do. Look at Delph yesterday - James is less likely to pull up like that as he rarely sprints! James is a match winner - he will provide moments of magic in every match - when they’re finished off (and we win) he’s hailed a genius... when they’re not, people tend to notice that he failed to track Dwight McNeil’s run in the 85th minute...

We aren’t used to having a player with such talent 😂

He was much more effective with Doucoure next to him and more importantly Coleman behind him. 
It was clear at the start of the season that Coleman was aware he wasn’t going to have James tracking back, but he was also very aware his job was to protect him and provide him with the ball. Tackles would go in on him and Coleman would be in the, and then you could hear him shouting all the way though most games “give it James”. 

players will accept a player not working so hard defensively if they do the business at the other end. Even when we had Lukaku, didn’t hear the rest of the team complain about him not working hard. They were concerned with his contribution at the other end. Different players can offer a different contribution. James has to create chances, and it seems that even when we play shit he still does that. 

15 hours ago, c1982 said:

Delph was sprinting!? ;)

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Great post in the echo on James and his form. 
Detailing exactly what I have been saying recently. 

Can’t work out how to link it haha. But one stat... in the last three games he has been credited with 14 shot creating passes.

Three short from the 17 he created in the first three games....... that’s how bad he has been recently.

The article explains how short sighted it is to base form on assists, as an assist is relying on the prowess of the finisher. Take Gylfi and his chance as a great example of this.

I do think most our South Americans have struggled since the international breaks. Only highlights how ridiculous it is to have them during this season. Surely there’s another more logical option.

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

Great post in the echo on James and his form. 
Detailing exactly what I have been saying recently. 

Can’t work out how to link it haha. But one stat... in the last three games he has been credited with 14 shot creating passes.

Three short from the 17 he created in the first three games....... that’s how bad he has been recently.

The article explains how short sighted it is to base form on assists, as an assist is relying on the prowess of the finisher. Take Gylfi and his chance as a great example of this.

That is why xG is better than the basic assist stat 😜

• 2 weeks later...

I, for one, am so looking forward to him returning and helping us to be more on the front foot.

Gylfi's done nothing wrong but he's got to play that number 10 role all day long. He's far more creative than Gylfi and that's what required of that role, and it alleviates the problem of not working as hard as some think he needs to.

3 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i think gylfi and james will work well together.  it's all on one of them to be creative, having both in the side will offer an outlet if they decide to go hard at James.

Who would you take out to put James in without it being Gylfi? Iwobi maybe?

For me if James comes back in he needs support around him, and I don’t think we could have that with Gylfi being in there too. 

14 minutes ago, StevO said:

Who would you take out to put James in without it being Gylfi? Iwobi maybe?

For me if James comes back in he needs support around him, and I don’t think we could have that with Gylfi being in there too. 

iwobi, that is the only position he has played with us, clearly that's where carlo wants him.  gylfi stays where he is.  

Just now, markjazzbassist said:

yes, james plays as a forward on the right, he has never been the 10.  not sure why romey "don't change the formation when it's working" wants to all of a sudden change the formation.  bit ironic though

It was the amount of personnel changes that I had an issue with but you crack on with chatting shite. You do it very well. 

We’re lacking creativity further up the pitch and James gives that. He’s a better player than Gylfi and people seem to be concerned about his lack of defensive work. He’s worth changing things for. Ffs, it’s Sheffield United next. If you can’t push a little bit more there then you may as well give up. 

I don’t know to much about Sheffield this season bar there playing shite, I haven’t seen any of there games so don’t no how they try to attack teams,

But if James is to play I would want him in a forward midfield position in the centre of the park for me Iwobi on the right works better than James being there, and James does his best work when he gets in a more central position. 

Along with Allan, made the Whoscored  XI of best new signings in the premier league.

Allan was the signing Everton desperately needed by James Rodriguez's move from Real Madrid to Goodison Park was certainly the most eye-catching. In fact, it's arguably one of the most remarkable transfers in Premier League history. Rodriguez was an instant hit with the Everton fans and has six goal involvements in his first 10 league appearances. Of players to have started more than five league games this season, only Kevin De Bruyne (one every 101.2 minutes) is creating a clear-cut opportunity more frequently than Rodriguez (every 120.7 mins).

https://www.whoscored.com/Articles/xgVnUJlqiEGkUCgIi1KHzg/Show/Chelseas-Thiago-Silva-makes-best-new-signings-Premier-League-XI

14 hours ago, Palfy said:

I don’t know to much about Sheffield this season bar there playing shite, I haven’t seen any of there games so don’t no how they try to attack teams,

But if James is to play I would want him in a forward midfield position in the centre of the park for me Iwobi on the right works better than James being there, and James does his best work when he gets in a more central position. 

As much as I agree with this, James playing on the right creates the extra space in the middle for him to run into and do some damage. If he plays centrally a midfielder can sit on him and reduce his threat. A full back won’t follow him into the middle and gives him more time on the ball before a midfielder picks him up. 
I want him in the middle creating chances, but when his starting position is on the right it gives him a great platform. 

7 minutes ago, StevO said:

As much as I agree with this, James playing on the right creates the extra space in the middle for him to run into and do some damage. If he plays centrally a midfielder can sit on him and reduce his threat. A full back won’t follow him into the middle and gives him more time on the ball before a midfielder picks him up. 
I want him in the middle creating chances, but when his starting position is on the right it gives him a great platform. 

You make some really good points, my reasoning for wanting him to be more central than on the right I didn’t say so in my previous post bar Iwobi is good on the right and his better work is when he’s more central, is that it may release him from the burden of having to defend which way know he doesn’t like doing so much, and Iwobi does really well, just a thought that that may suit his game better we know he hurts teams in a forward position and with his vision from a central position he can spread the play better.

But I’m hearing he still isn’t going to be ready for tomorrow which could be a massive miss if Richarlison doesn’t make it. 

9 hours ago, Palfy said:

You make some really good points, my reasoning for wanting him to be more central than on the right I didn’t say so in my previous post bar Iwobi is good on the right and his better work is when he’s more central, is that it may release him from the burden of having to defend which way know he doesn’t like doing so much, and Iwobi does really well, just a thought that that may suit his game better we know he hurts teams in a forward position and with his vision from a central position he can spread the play better.

But I’m hearing he still isn’t going to be ready for tomorrow which could be a massive miss if Richarlison doesn’t make it. 

I get that Palfy, I’d be worried if we did that with only Doucoure and one other in the middle. 

I think we’ll see him back for West Ham. I hope so anyway as I’ve got a ticket. 

For me having James in the centre in the role Siggy currently plays is the best position for him to be in. 

If he plays there he can dictate play better than he can from the right, even if he drifts inside. He has more passing options, and a better view of the game.

It means we can have a proper winger on the right, like Iwobi who can get forward and whip the ball in and pull defenders out of position. It also means that the right back is not isolated as Iwobi will get back to defend.

Yes we lose Siggys defensive efforts in the centre of midfield, but although he has been better recently in harassing and defending and played really well, Allan he is not. We wont lose that much defensively, and we gain loads offensively. Most teams will also leave a player or two man marking James as they cannot let him get the ball when we break.

I think we have to trust Allan and Doucoure to manage the midfield, and work with the much improved defence of Keane and Mina.

18 minutes ago, London Blue said:

For me having James in the centre in the role Siggy currently plays is the best position for him to be in. 

If he plays there he can dictate play better than he can from the right, even if he drifts inside. He has more passing options, and a better view of the game.

It means we can have a proper winger on the right, like Iwobi who can get forward and whip the ball in and pull defenders out of position. It also means that the right back is not isolated as Iwobi will get back to defend.

Yes we lose Siggys defensive efforts in the centre of midfield, but although he has been better recently in harassing and defending and played really well, Allan he is not. We wont lose that much defensively, and we gain loads offensively. Most teams will also leave a player or two man marking James as they cannot let him get the ball when we break.

I think we have to trust Allan and Doucoure to manage the midfield, and work with the much improved defence of Keane and Mina.

I agree with most of that with the exception of Iwobi being a "proper" winger. I've rarely see somebody with a physique that looks less like a winger, great wingers are slight and nippy....he looks more like a body buider.