IGNORED

James Rodríguez

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

but I don't think anybody is putting any sort of focal point specifically on James being a scape goat, people just commenting on both his strength's and his weakness's. Don't tell me you think there are no weakness to James's game? I have said James has been a good signing and brings lots of positives and want him as part of the team.

I actually generally think, on average, we are doing quite well this this season - yes we have lost some game we though we should have won - but pretty much every team will say the same.  Just to put it in perspectives - we where all so pissed off about the Fulham game because losing has dented out change of finishing top 4 and a CL place. In the whole of the Premiership era how many times at this point of a season are we realistically worrying about missing CL qualification - 2? 3?, 4 tops? We are also far from the finished article under Ancelotti - challenging for top 6-7 was our realistic goal for this season - and we are there or there about.

The current discussions are about a rumour (might be true or false) that he might be looking to quit the Premier league because of the bad British weather, physicality of the league, and the general culture of the UK.  Its not about him having any problem with the club, manager or other players - If true, it just sounds like the North West of England isn't floating his boat, compared to his normal home. To be honest, if the rumour is based on him just chatting to friends etc in Madrid - I don't imagine he would be signing the praises of the UK weather this past few months, or saying how much he loves the physicality of the Premiership or that he is not somehow missing living in Madrid, and all friends he has there. Don't forget with most of the world (or at least UK and Europe) in lockdown  since middle of December -  he will not have been able to have friends an family over to stay and visit or visa versa, all this type of thing is fooking with all of our heads at the moment and not in a good way. My 'mood' has definitely dropped considerably since December. 

I just hope it all doesn't get him down to much and he wants away, before at least giving it a crack in more normal times - when Stadiums are full and fans are chanting, restrictions on our lives are removed and our general moods are just lifted.  

Thank you for providing some sanity

45 minutes ago, Bill said:

I wouldn't play him against the shite even if he is a ferrari, they have Mane and Robertson on one wing, and Salah and Trent Arnold on the other wing.  We need proper wide men to help out our FBs.  James is not capable of chasing and tackling, and even if he was shifted inside it would be just as bad. Its in these games that you use your 4 wheel drive landrovers.  Sorry Haf. 😀

I would, I’d just play him centrally. 

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

but I don't think anybody is putting any sort of focal point specifically on James being a scape goat, people just commenting on both his strength's and his weakness's. Don't tell me you think there are no weakness to James's game? I have said James has been a good signing and brings lots of positives and want him as part of the team.

I actually generally think, on average, we are doing quite well this this season - yes we have lost some game we though we should have won - but pretty much every team will say the same.  Just to put it in perspectives - we where all so pissed off about the Fulham game because losing has dented out change of finishing top 4 and a CL place. In the whole of the Premiership era how many times at this point of a season are we realistically worrying about missing CL qualification - 2? 3?, 4 tops? We are also far from the finished article under Ancelotti - challenging for top 6-7 was our realistic goal for this season - and we are there or there about.

The current discussions are about a rumour (might be true or false) that he might be looking to quit the Premier league because of the bad British weather, physicality of the league, and the general culture of the UK.  Its not about him having any problem with the club, manager or other players - If true, it just sounds like the North West of England isn't floating his boat, compared to his normal home. To be honest, if the rumour is based on him just chatting to friends etc in Madrid - I don't imagine he would be signing the praises of the UK weather this past few months, or saying how much he loves the physicality of the Premiership or that he is not somehow missing living in Madrid, and all friends he has there. Don't forget with most of the world (or at least UK and Europe) in lockdown  since middle of December -  he will not have been able to have friends an family over to stay and visit or visa versa, all this type of thing is fooking with all of our heads at the moment and not in a good way. My 'mood' has definitely dropped considerably since December. 

I just hope it all doesn't get him down to much and he wants away, before at least giving it a crack in more normal times - when Stadiums are full and fans are chanting, restrictions on our lives are removed and our general moods are just lifted.  

His strengths are a world class ability to create a goal from nowhere and can receive a ball in tight spaces and relieve pressure for his teammates.

His weakness is that he offers about as much defence as Gylfi and Gomes.

So on that alone.... My suggestion is get two players in midfield who do the defensive/workhorse jobs and play James instead of Gylfi or Gomes.

As for him wanting away? Bollocks. All conjecture and mischief 

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I wouldn't play him against the shite even if he is a ferrari, they have Mane and Robertson on one wing, and Salah and Trent Arnold on the other wing.  We need proper wide men to help out our FBs.  James is not capable of chasing and tackling, and even if he was shifted inside it would be just as bad. Its in these games that you use your 4 wheel drive landrovers.  Sorry Haf. 😀

But neither is Gylfi or Gomes and they have played as much as him recently. That's what my concern is. 

No idea if the rumours are true but I don't blame him, if they are. I don't like the UK weather! More particularly, I don't like the Manchester weather. I would also really, really like to spend some time with friends in Madrid, or Barcelona. However, he is on £140000 per week, which I'm not - so he should pipe down and get on playing. Plenty of other great players / managers come to the North-west and embrace the culture, Ancelotti included by all accounts. Let's see more of that from him.

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

His strengths are a world class ability to create a goal from nowhere and can receive a ball in tight spaces and relieve pressure for his teammates.

So on that alone.... My suggestion is get two players in midfield who do the defensive/workhorse jobs and play James instead of Gylfi or Gomes.

Even if neither are not great, I think  both Gylfi and Gomes have a little more in there locker without the ball than James, but on the flip side James has more vision on the offensive side and like I have said before - he is usual very efficient in his offensive play.  But I agree all things being equal, I would be trying to put James in ahead of both Gylfi and Gomes.  (Gomez and Gylfi's form of late has generally been pretty good so don't want to berate either of these two).

If you look that my own personal line up for the Liverpool game - you will see I am a James fan and I have tried to set it up be accommodate James a little more. Him being the lynch pin for counter attacks on either flank.  Playing, and playing well in the team would also be great tonic if things outside football are not brilliant.  

I have said nothing more that in being a reported rumour to 'James' wanting to go. Given what the rumour is, it wouldn't surprise me if it true,  so not sure it can be dismissed out of hands as 'bollocks'.

1 hour ago, Formby said:

No idea if the rumours are true but I don't blame him, if they are. I don't like the UK weather! More particularly, I don't like the Manchester weather. I would also really, really like to spend some time with friends in Madrid, or Barcelona. However, he is on £140000 per week, which I'm not - so he should pipe down and get on playing. Plenty of other great players / managers come to the North-west and embrace the culture, Ancelotti included by all accounts. Let's see more of that from him.

I don't think its fair to play the 'wages' card against him. In all likelihood he took a sizable wage cut to come to Everton, which gets my respect - and up to now he has been good value - his Everton figures are consistent with what he has historically produced - so up and running straight away.  Being unhappy in a situation doesn't simply boil down to pounds and pence (and wages wise he would get decent enough money where ever he players - big wages are just a norm for quality players). Some people love and embrace new places, people and different cultures and some people just like what they know, not everybody is built the same. 

All I am saying is IF he is unhappy, I hope that he doesn't rush in to another move which out having a proper crack at living in the UK and playing in the Premiership under more normal circumstances. 

Anyone happy, or open to the sale of James is a lunatic. Anyone that believes that it will be a good thing, or something we could deal with is also a lunatic. 

He shouldn't be here tbh, he could play week in and week out for Europe's elite yet came on board because of Carlo. I pinch myself every time he steps over that white line for us. 

We should do absolutely everything in our power to keep him happy and/or here. 

6 hours ago, Hafnia said:

That’s a good point, I have said it before we haven’t got that midfield player who allows the flare players like James to play his game, we need a Peter Reid someone who owns the centre circle, our midfield hasn’t got the right mix of players that bring different strengths to the team. 

We may not see it tomorrow (as we will probably be awful again as in most other derbies - sorry!) but a returning Allan alongside Doucoure and hopefully Davies is going to give James so much more protection and more importantly possession. We’ve been playing on the back foot without Allan - we simply don’t have the depth in midfield to cope with his absence. We’ve covered this by going with the 4 centre backs but that’s come at a cost in an attacking sense. Allan is key (it’s not a pun) to so many aspects of this team - no one more so than James. Central midfield may not seem a priority this summer to many but I bet Carlo knows he needs more ‘fit for purpose’ competition.

16 hours ago, RuffRob said:

I don't think its fair to play the 'wages' card against him. In all likelihood he took a sizable wage cut to come to Everton, which gets my respect - and up to now he has been good value - his Everton figures are consistent with what he has historically produced - so up and running straight away.  Being unhappy in a situation doesn't simply boil down to pounds and pence (and wages wise he would get decent enough money where ever he players - big wages are just a norm for quality players). Some people love and embrace new places, people and different cultures and some people just like what they know, not everybody is built the same. 

All I am saying is IF he is unhappy, I hope that he doesn't rush in to another move which out having a proper crack at living in the UK and playing in the Premiership under more normal circumstances. 

I think, if it had been a player of lesser ability and they had been complaining about the weather and wanted out, then everyone would be bringing their wages up and that they should be bloody lucky to playing for Everton etc. So, James would be getting a pass (which he would probably quite like on the field) merely for being a much better footballer. I'm presuming he was sold the project by Ancelotti beforehand and, at 29, knew what he was coming to. If he took a wage cut, great (I think he wanted to leave Madrid, though), but I don't think we need to be grateful for that. The deal would have benefitted him, too. 

It looks as though the rumours aren't true, anyway. I think he is an exceptional footballer and want him to stay - I just don't like carping from footballers, generally! That's for us fans to do! 

1 hour ago, c1982 said:

Just noticed that he just stands with his hands on his hips after the assist he plays through to Richy as he finishes it off - beautiful!

Looking cool as fuck after a touch and pass that only he could do, like it wasn’t even anything special. Wonderful. 

Just in case I haven't emphasised it enough......  You know that player who scored the best goal of the world cup that made you wish we had a crystal ball and got him before he went to Monaco because he looked so fucking good - he plays for us. 

He's played for real Madrid and Bayern Munich and yeah he only does a few good things in a game..... But no-one else who we have had in the last 30 years can do them.  His ability to kill a defence with a pass is ridiculous. 

32 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Just in case I haven't emphasised it enough......  You know that player who scored the best goal of the world cup that made you wish we had a crystal ball and got him before he went to Monaco because he looked so fucking good - he plays for us. 

He's played for real Madrid and Bayern Munich and yeah he only does a few good things in a game..... But no-one else who we have had in the last 30 years can do them.  His ability to kill a defence with a pass is ridiculous. 

Thing is he does that pass or something similar 2-3 times a game.  It’s unreal his vision

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

Thing is he does that pass or something similar 2-3 times a game.  It’s unreal his vision

I've seen lots of players do those passes - don't get me wrong, even shit players.    The thing is - he does them "consistently", not a one off    The best pass I've seen him do was the one to iwobi vs wolves which was saved. 

I've done passes like that in my time, about 3 or 4 of them over 10 years! and I get a real buzz when I think back to them ..... Probably more enjoyable than scoring a 25 yarder because the variables mean you really have to think fast, calculate and execute.

I really think that a full goodison park is going to witness great things from this lad, he has that special something that great players possess which comes out in front of audiences. 

Was no where near man of the match today but he doesn't need to be.