IGNORED

James Rodríguez

18 hours ago, barryj said:

If you’re excited by this transfer like me don’t listen to the short ‘All Together Now’ podcast with a German football magazine chief editor from Madrid.

I just had a listen to that... Will be interesting to see how some on here react to him if he does that over here given the grief others have had. 

From what was said this has an Ozil to Arsenal feel. Could go really well, and I definitely think he will make an instant impact but if he loses interest we could be stuck with a player on a big wage.

43 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I just had a listen to that... Will be interesting to see how some on here react to him if he does that over here given the grief others have had. 

From what was said this has an Ozil to Arsenal feel. Could go really well, and I definitely think he will make an instant impact but if he loses interest we could be stuck with a player on a big wage.

As others have said I think his price will not be an issue at all in the grand scheme. Aside from if he if improves us in the table (which has financial rewards), the social media exposure, the kit sales, the influence he has on future transfers coming here brings a lot. He makes us a more valuable club. Whatever his wages are won’t mean much in comparison to that. This is true in all sports to varying degrees. When LeBron James left his last team (not saying Rodríguez is on that level) that franchise lost 200-300m in value overnight which dwarfed his yearly salary. A player like Iwobi is far more costly potentially because his price tag does not come with that built in rebate.

* For comparison, Richarlison has 334k followers on twitter. James has 18.7 million. Richarlison has 2.7 million on Instagram. James has 46.7 million. He’s somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-10x the rest of our squad combined. Hard to overstate that impact. 

** He’s currently the 8th most followed athlete in the world on Instagram. Not football player, mind you...athlete.

1 hour ago, SpartyBlue said:

As others have said I think his price will not be an issue at all in the grand scheme. Aside from if he if improves us in the table (which has financial rewards), the social media exposure, the kit sales, the influence he has on future transfers coming here brings a lot. He makes us a more valuable club. Whatever his wages are won’t mean much in comparison to that. This is true in all sports to varying degrees. When LeBron James left his last team (not saying Rodríguez is on that level) that franchise lost 200-300m in value overnight which dwarfed his yearly salary. A player like Iwobi is far more costly potentially because his price tag does not come with that built in rebate.

* For comparison, Richarlison has 334k followers on twitter. James has 18.7 million. Richarlison has 2.7 million on Instagram. James has 46.7 million. He’s somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-10x the rest of our squad combined. Hard to overstate that impact. 

** He’s currently the 8th most followed athlete in the world on Instagram. Not football player, mind you...athlete.

I think the exposure and revenue created by this transfer will be amazing. However, the most important thing for me is him delivering on the pitch. 

2 minutes ago, barryj said:

I think the exposure and revenue created by this transfer will be amazing. However, the most important thing for me is him delivering on the pitch. 

Of course. The end goal is always better performances on the pitch. Increased exposure should ultimately help further that cause. As a brand this is an unbelievable deal for us. How much would a car company or a clothing brand pay for James to promote their brand to his 46m+ followers over the next 3 years. For those familiar at all with how much some of these social media influencers get paid the answer is in the 10’s of millions. 

50 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

You are right, great to get our club out there and being taken seriously through James' tweets but I don't want flaky glory supporters following us.

Plastic fans are part of football and like it or not they pump a lot of money into the club's that they follow. How much money do Barcelona make from Messi shirts, or Juventus from Ronaldo? I'd happily take the same (on a smaller scale) with James. If we can get a footprint in South America it'll only be a good thing commercially. 

15 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Plastic fans are part of football and like it or not they pump a lot of money into the club's that they follow. How much money do Barcelona make from Messi shirts, or Juventus from Ronaldo? I'd happily take the same (on a smaller scale) with James. If we can get a footprint in South America it'll only be a good thing commercially. 

I don't know how big of a factor this was but being in English football has to be a huge win for the brand of James Rodriguez. He's South American so obviously has interest there and in the wider Spanish speaking world through Real Madrid. Next he played for the biggest club in Germany and surely gained fans that way. Now hes going to really break into the English speaking market. Shows you how a guy can be one of the top 10 most followed athletes in the world despite having accomplishes that don't quite live up to that level.

15 minutes ago, Tonsta said:

I have been out all day, and notice 1 of the three has signed, where are the other 2?

what can take so long, other clubs fee, medical, sign no problem

Sorry i forgot its EFC nothing straight forward

Seriously what is happening.

Allan was always going to be the first announcement as I said a few days ago. As this afternoon we had the last friendly before the season I wasn’t expecting any announcements until that had concluded. Hopefully later today🤞but with the England game on now it may have to wait to get full exposure! 🤔

I'm not convinced Colombians are waiting with baited breath to see if James Rodriguez has secured his move from Real Madrid to Everton. My guess is the hold up is contractual stuff. From a marketing perspective, Rodriguez is a different level to (for example) Allan, and there'll be tonnes of tiny details in his contract to thrash out. 

30 minutes ago, Isaiah said:

I'm not convinced Colombians are waiting with baited breath to see if James Rodriguez has secured his move from Real Madrid to Everton. My guess is the hold up is contractual stuff. From a marketing perspective, Rodriguez is a different level to (for example) Allan, and there'll be tonnes of tiny details in his contract to thrash out. 

Rodríguez is a different animal to anyone Everton have ever had in terms of marketing, given the social media age and by a long ways. 

9 hours ago, Bailey said:

I’m going to do what I usually do, and see how he performs for Everton with my own eyes. Past matters not.

If he is shit I’ll criticise.

If he’s good I’ll praise.

4 hours ago, pete0 said:

Remember the name... Wayne Rooney! 

Wayne Rooney was certainly a star and then a superstar after he left Everton but social media wasn’t really a thing when that began and he never had close to the following Rodríguez does . If James tweets something or posts on Instagram 10’s of millions of people are going to see it. There are only a handful of athletes in the world that have his reach.  Ultimately it’s about what we do on the pitch but we would be foolish not to see him for the asset he can be on the business side. 

8 hours ago, Shukes said:

I’m going to do what I usually do, and see how he performs for Everton with my own eyes. Past matters not.

If he is shit I’ll criticise.

If he’s good I’ll praise.

Well make sure you take those rose tinted classes off you watched Gana with first, otherwise he’s just going to be good no matter how bad he’s played😂

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

So we should buy young players with potential who do not think we are a stepping stone? And who exactly would these be? Of course any 22-year old promising player hopes to move to an even bigger club at some point.

59 minutes ago, Makis said:

So we should buy young players with potential who do not think we are a stepping stone? And who exactly would these be? Of course any 22-year old promising player hopes to move to an even bigger club at some point.

Appalling piece of journalism, don’t they know we have DCL, Holgate, Branthwaite, Kean etc. 

56 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

Appalling piece of journalism, don’t they know we have DCL, Holgate, Branthwaite, Kean etc. 

And to add to how shoddily researched it is, he includes Gylfi Sigurdsson in the list of players we bought off "elite clubs". We bought him off Swansea, where he'd been for 3 years already.