IGNORED

January Transfer Window

On 08/01/2022 at 15:19, Palfy said:

I wasn’t just particularly referring to this one comment in general you have become boring with your comments about Benitez, constantly trying to dismiss anything that anyone says that may show Benitez in a favourable light not based on anything but dislike 👎. I’m beginning to think you have morphed into Cornish Steve and lost complete sense of balance when it comes to Benitez, fuck me just realised what a scary thought that is 😂

Ah I see. Its ok to bash Digne with every other post but not Benitez? 🤣

As and when Benitez does something I agree with, I will give him the relevant praise (as I have done in the past might I add).

I am not even saying Benitez hasn't done anything wrong, in fact he may have done exactly the right thing. I don't know and you don't know. Whereas you are quick to rush to judgement, I will reserve mine until I have heard both sides of the story.

IN: Mykolenko, Patterson
OUT: Digne (Fabrizio says its happening)
LOAN IN: El Ghazi (Fabrizio says its happening)

LOAN OUT: 
CONTRACT ENDS AFTER SEASON: Lonergan, Kenny, Coleman, Delph, Siggy, Tosun

Squad for rest of season:
GK: Pickford, Begovic, Lonergan
DEF: Keane, Mina, Holgate, Godfrey, Mykolenko, Coleman, Patterson, Branthwaite, Kenny
MID: Allan, Doucoure, Gomes, Davies, Gbamin, Delph
FWD: DCL, Richarlison, Gray, Townsend, Gordon, Iwobi, Rondon, Tosun, El Ghazi

We need a modern-day Vincent Kompany to take charge of the defence, someone who's tough and will stand up to the manager's nonsense. We did/do not need El Ghazi. Move out Gomes, Delph, and Iwobi, and bring in a Gallagher type to sit alongside Doucoure and Allan. Rely more on our talented youngsters. I have no problem with Mykolenko or Patterson.

If we don't remove Benitez now, we're going to lose Pickford, Richarlison, and DC-L in the summer.

13 hours ago, StevO said:

Just hope the new manager has a bit of the window left and a few quid to spend. 
Id rather he still had a left back that went a few days ago though. 

No one who comes in now should be given money to spend that’s been our downfall, bar Benitez giving them money to spend straight away before we can see what they can do has been a fucking nightmare, our squad is akin to the French foreign legion full of misfits, no more please until we feel secure in the knowledge that next manager is actually doing a decent job. 

It would be a massive mistake to not get a midfield re-inforcement before the close of the window. 

There is also no point getting a manager in if they arent going to be backed. I dont think they should have an open cheque book but if a player they want is available and at a reasonable price then why shouldn't they be brought in? 

45 minutes ago, Palfy said:

No one who comes in now should be given money to spend that’s been our downfall, bar Benitez giving them money to spend straight away before we can see what they can do has been a fucking nightmare, our squad is akin to the French foreign legion full of misfits, no more please until we feel secure in the knowledge that next manager is actually doing a decent job. 

I just think if we have a manager come in who has a player in mind who can make a real difference I’d like them to be able to.  If that was to be a central midfielder or defender it could be huge for us. Wishful thinking though. 

Been thinking a lot about this and wanted to get something down on paper. Transfer success is subjective so I'm sure (and rightly so) folks will debate the lists below but hopefully it's good enough for context. The point I've been thinking about is who we should be recruiting and I've always always always felt buying up (player who has not yet played a club the size/prestige as Everton) is better than buying down (player who's coming down from a bigger club).

Worst transfers in the last decade:

• Eto'o-Chelsea
  • Tarashaj-Grasshoppers
  • Niasse-LokomotivMoscow
  • Williams-Swansea
  • Schneiderlin-ManU
  • Bolasie-Palace
  • Cenk-Besiktas
  • Walcott-Arsenal
  • Klaassen-Ajax
  • Siggy-Swansea/Spurs
  • Gbamin-Mainz
  • Iwobi-Arsenal 

Best transfers in the last decade:

• Jelavic-Rangers
  • Mirallas-Olympiakos
  • Stones-Barnsley
  • Rom-Chelsea
  • Barry-City
  • DCL-SheffU
  • Gana-Villa
  • Pickford-Sunderland
  • Richarlison-Watford
  • Digne-Barca
  • Doucoure-Watford
  • Gray-Leverkusen

There are exceptions to the rule on both sides but I still think this shows who we should and shouldn't be buying. Cast-offs from the big boys aren't good enough for our level either and poaching 'smaller' clubs top young talent has served us well. Watford arguably the only reason we haven't been relegated yet, while Arsenal and Swansea have done their best to get us sent down. We've also had very little success with players from abroad relative to what we've invested.

P.S. Don't get me wrong I was mesmerized by the idea James would sign/play for us and I'll always remember his impact but I wasn't supporting it from a strategic perspective. 

It is a goddamn miracle we're still standing after these two windows:

ARRIVALS 17/18

Players Club Transfer sum
Gylfi Sigurdsson Swansea City Swansea $54.34m
Michael Keane Burnley FC Burnley $31.35m
Jordan Pickford Sunderland AFC Sunderland $31.35m
Davy Klaassen Ajax Amsterdam Ajax $29.70m
Theo Walcott Arsenal FC Arsenal $24.75m
Cenk Tosun Besiktas JK Besiktas $24.75m
Nikola Vlasic HNK Hajduk Split Hajduk Split $11.88m
Henry Onyekuru KAS Eupen KAS Eupen $8.80m
Sandro Ramírez Málaga CF Málaga CF $6.60m
Cuco Martina Southampton FC Southampton free transfer
Wayne Rooney Manchester United Man Utd free transfer
Eliaquim Mangala Manchester City Man City loan transfer

ARRIVALS 19/20

Alex Iwobi Arsenal FC Arsenal $33.44m
Moise Kean Juventus FC Juventus $30.25m
André Gomes FC Barcelona Barcelona $27.50m
Jean-Philippe Gbamin 1.FSV Mainz 05 1.FSV Mainz 05 $27.50m
Fabian Delph Manchester City Man City $10.45m
Djibril Sidibé AS Monaco Monaco Loan fee:
$2.75m
Jarrad Branthwaite Carlisle United Carlisle United $1.21m
Jonas Lössl Huddersfield Town Huddersfield

free transfer

54 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

It is a goddamn miracle we're still standing after these two windows:

ARRIVALS 17/18

Gylfi Sigurdsson Swansea City Swansea $54.34m
Michael Keane Burnley FC Burnley $31.35m
Jordan Pickford Sunderland AFC Sunderland $31.35m
Davy Klaassen Ajax Amsterdam Ajax $29.70m
Theo Walcott Arsenal FC Arsenal $24.75m
Cenk Tosun Besiktas JK Besiktas $24.75m
Nikola Vlasic HNK Hajduk Split Hajduk Split $11.88m
Henry Onyekuru KAS Eupen KAS Eupen $8.80m
Sandro Ramírez Málaga CF Málaga CF $6.60m
Cuco Martina Southampton FC Southampton free transfer
Wayne Rooney Manchester United Man Utd free transfer
Eliaquim Mangala Manchester City Man City loan transfer

ARRIVALS 19/20

Alex Iwobi Arsenal FC Arsenal $33.44m
Moise Kean Juventus FC Juventus $30.25m
André Gomes FC Barcelona Barcelona $27.50m
Jean-Philippe Gbamin 1.FSV Mainz 05 1.FSV Mainz 05 $27.50m
Fabian Delph Manchester City Man City $10.45m
Djibril Sidibé AS Monaco Monaco Loan fee:
$2.75m
Jarrad Branthwaite Carlisle United Carlisle United $1.21m
Jonas Lössl Huddersfield Town Huddersfield

free transfer

These two windows will haunt me for the rest of my days,

4 hours ago, Hoof_It_Nev said:

So with no manager and no DOF, I guess the squad we have is the one we have for the rest of the season. Would have liked a few more additions but not if it means Moshiri making the decisions! 

How's that different from the last several years?

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Bloody hell, you leave the bar at 9pm too? 
It’s only early mate. 

Just realistic....who's left to pick a player to sign or sell? Rhino?

New manager will not be in place come end of window and no caretaker will be given this power

37 minutes ago, Cisk said:

Just realistic....who's left to pick a player to sign or sell? Rhino?

New manager will not be in place come end of window and no caretaker will be given this power

A new manager could be in place in the next few days, we’ve 12 days left of the window. 
Get back to the bar, last orders isn’t for another few hours yet. 🍺

12 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Been thinking a lot about this and wanted to get something down on paper. Transfer success is subjective so I'm sure (and rightly so) folks will debate the lists below but hopefully it's good enough for context. The point I've been thinking about is who we should be recruiting and I've always always always felt buying up (player who has not yet played a club the size/prestige as Everton) is better than buying down (player who's coming down from a bigger club).

Worst transfers in the last decade:

• Eto'o-Chelsea
  • Tarashaj-Grasshoppers
  • Niasse-LokomotivMoscow
  • Williams-Swansea
  • Schneiderlin-ManU
  • Bolasie-Palace
  • Cenk-Besiktas
  • Walcott-Arsenal
  • Klaassen-Ajax
  • Siggy-Swansea/Spurs
  • Gbamin-Mainz
  • Iwobi-Arsenal 

Best transfers in the last decade:

• Jelavic-Rangers
  • Mirallas-Olympiakos
  • Stones-Barnsley
  • Rom-Chelsea
  • Barry-City
  • DCL-SheffU
  • Gana-Villa
  • Pickford-Sunderland
  • Richarlison-Watford
  • Digne-Barca
  • Doucoure-Watford
  • Gray-Leverkusen

There are exceptions to the rule on both sides but I still think this shows who we should and shouldn't be buying. Cast-offs from the big boys aren't good enough for our level either and poaching 'smaller' clubs top young talent has served us well. Watford arguably the only reason we haven't been relegated yet, while Arsenal and Swansea have done their best to get us sent down. We've also had very little success with players from abroad relative to what we've invested.

P.S. Don't get me wrong I was mesmerized by the idea James would sign/play for us and I'll always remember his impact but I wasn't supporting it from a strategic perspective. 

I think if anything with this post, you have proven that you shouldn't stick to a given policy because there are players out there at different stages of their career who have done a brilliant job for this club. There are as many unknowns coming through as there are big club footballers that have a point to prove. 

I also think you are being a bit generous with some of those best signings. Jelavic wasn't, nor Mirallas and then Dom and Stones were bought for the academy. Allan has been a good signing but he was in the other category. Iwobi for all that he was at Arsenal was still on the way up as a footballer and had his best season for them before joining us. He wasn't a cast off. 

The difference is the price you pay... big club players cost more and are therefore more expensive when they don't work out but then again we put Gylfi, Williams, and Bolasie on stupid money. 

I think one of the best examples I can give is the left hand side of our team under Moyes. Baines, coming through the ranks at Wigan bought for £6.5m. Pienaar, played for Ajax and Borussia Dortmund, bought for £2.48m. Good players come from many different places and I don't think you can just rely on one strategy to build a successful team.

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

We’ll already have a list of targets that the board have discussed. If we still want them, we go try to get them. 
I doubt Rafa made any decisions on his own.

The board can discuss what they like, Moshiri will have his own plans in motion