IGNORED

Newcastle (Home) Tuesday January 21st

markjazzbassist

21 hours ago, Aidan said:

Haven't been to the old lady in a couple of months now but my work schedule has allowed me to get to this one. Been even longer since I've been able to see us play under the lights, can't wait. 

Not been able to see a single game this season so far and I really don't see any chance of making one; health issues (family, not mine) being the prime reason. Missing her, hope she's missing me:(.

6 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

There is something special about night games, the park end from outside looks fantastic 

I'm usually Gwladys but do enjoy top balcony every now and then for the view, which is where I'm sat for this game as I'm going alone (Mrs is away for the week, so my week can't get much better really!) 

39 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Not been able to see a single game this season so far and I really don't see any chance of making one; health issues (family, not mine) being the prime reason. Missing her, hope she's missing me:(.

Best wishes mate fingers crossed for you. The best thing about her is she is always waiting for you and will fill you with magic once again. 

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

Hope you get to go soon and the team make it special! I may get 1 more game in if we do a family visit before May.🤞

as bad as delph was i'm hoping gylfi is able to come back and at least offer something a little more in tandem with davies.  i'd put gordon on to start, walcott is atrocious and surely anything is better than that.  let's hope our best player richarlison is fit.

Pickford

Sidibe Mina Holgate Digne

Gordon Davies Gylfi Bernard

DCL Richarlison

Haven’t we got anyone we can promote from the U23s to replace Delph in central MF, Newcastle are physically strong maybe even consider sticking Holgate in the middle and give Keane a game, not a great idea I confess, but it’s got to be better than Davies and Delph part 2

7 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Haven’t we got anyone we can promote from the U23s to replace Delph in central MF, Newcastle are physically strong maybe even consider sticking Holgate in the middle and give Keane a game, not a great idea I confess, but it’s got to be better than Davies and Delph part 2

I'd not be against that.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

They won't connect until we have a central midfield capable of giving them something to work with, feeding off scraps otherwise.

Agreed I am scared now.  A draw would be acceptable at this point that’s how bad the team is.  I think a win is possible, but I’m not very confident.  

man brands really needs to get a Centre mid here and fast, after this we have the international break.  It would be great if they could be integrated then so they could start that first match after.  

52 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Keane might not be fit according to Ancelotti. He’s named in the squad but we’ll leave the decision until tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

Never new that, our squad is so fragile at the moment. 

As bad as we are, their squad is still poor and they have more injuries than us. 

Newcastle aren't an easy nut to crack with the unpredictability they have up front but they aren't a good side, just a well drilled one. 

Ancelotti will need to make a decision on how he wants to play this. Out from the back or more prepared to go long and direct quickly. 

If it's the former then Holgate needs to stay at the back, Bernard needs to start and we will probably have no other option but to play Kean and DCL. 

If we want to go longer, Holgate could come into midfield, Walcott is almost nailed on to play down the right and Niasse is probably a better option to play with DCL (urgh did I just say that). 

If I remember rightly Gordon has played central for the U23s. It's a bit of a step up but he looked at his liveliest when he was central. I think he has a strike on him too. Holgate's pace will be important at the back too so I would go with this:

Pickford 

Sidibe (or Coleman) Holgate Mina Digne

Walcott (pick 2 CMs) Bernard

Gordon DCL

Play out if it's on but otherwise play it forward, squeeze up the pitch and win those 2nd balls. DCL stretching the game with Gordon buzzing around him. Bernard linking the defence to the attack and Walcott threatening to get in behind (but wasting the final ball). Just leave the midfield two to do the very basics because that's about all they can do!

The midfield is our week point, however to put a different view, while I accept that Delph is not a good midfielder and Davies is inconsistent there are some straws to cling to:

1) Delph is just back from injury (again and not up to speed, not that he has much).

2) Davies and Delph have not really played together so more time to train together should show more understanding.

3) Carlo has had more time to drill them and get the positive forward passing ideas across.

4) At home the players will have a more positive mindset and should take more chances.

I am looking forward to the game and hope the crowd give the players a lift and some vocal support, and that the players step it up.

I also think Kean will score a goal for us if he starts, which I hope he does.

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

No way Kean doesn't play. He might as well give up if Gordon and Niasse are ahead of him. 

Plus it might help him starting 2 games on the bounce, especially with this one at home. He needs to grow into it. 

Yeah let’s hope he starts and pops one in.  Goodson will go nuts and the lad will be hooked

5 hours ago, Bailey said:

As bad as we are, their squad is still poor and they have more injuries than us. 

Newcastle aren't an easy nut to crack with the unpredictability they have up front but they aren't a good side, just a well drilled one. 

I believe they have Shelvey back with the way our MF is he will have all the time in the world, and give him time and space and he will unpick you. 

10 hours ago, Palfy said:

I believe they have Shelvey back with the way our MF is he will have all the time in the world, and give him time and space and he will unpick you. 

I think your giving him too much credit. I see him being as much of a liability as he is a positive. He can play but he is also a bit of a shirker.

21 hours ago, Palfy said:

Both Adeniran and Onyango have done some training with the first team this year.  Possibly one of them?  Beni is just back from injury as well but unsure if he is ahead of or behind the previously mentioned players.