IGNORED

Arsenal (Away) Sunday February 23rd

markjazzbassist

They are in a transitional stage with Arteta but he's not doing well and their squad is disjointed.  Their backline is weak and should be exploited.  I'd like to see us go for it.  A draw would be acceptable but honestly i believe 3 points is there for the taking.  HIt them early and get them to lose confidence.  I'm hoping Walcott (never thought i'd say that) and Bernard are fit after the break and time off.

Pickford

Coleman Mina Holgate Digne

Walcott Morgan Davies Bernard

DCL Richarlison

I don’t mean to be a knob but I can’t stand watching davies most of the time. He’s so slow and easily knocked off the ball. Arsenal are piss poor at the back and nearly as bad as us in the middle of the park. Not sure Carlo fancies Bernie away from home either. 
                          Pickford 

coleman       Holgate.   Mina.     Digne 

walcott         Gomes   Morgan.    Bernie

DCl.       Charly 

9 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

They are in a transitional stage with Arteta but he's not doing well and their squad is disjointed.  Their backline is weak and should be exploited.  I'd like to see us go for it.  A draw would be acceptable but honestly i believe 3 points is there for the taking.  HIt them early and get them to lose confidence.  I'm hoping Walcott (never thought i'd say that) and Bernard are fit after the break and time off.

Pickford

Coleman Mina Holgate Digne

Walcott Morgan Davies Bernard

DCL Richarlison

I like this line up, and I want to see Davies play as I think next to Morgan (when he is in the mood) he is the best fit midfielder we have. Gomes should be on the bench so bye bye Gylfi!!

Don't get me wrong, I don't think we have anything to fear against Arsenal but anyone thinking that this will be an easy win need to have a look at themselves (not specifically anyone on here, Twitter mostly). They are still a good side capable of hurting anyone on their day and they've got home advantage - not to mention that they've now got a very good manager in Arteta. They're in a transitional stage at the moment but will be a different beast once he's had time to mould them and has had a summer window to get rid of the deadwood and bring in his own players, I just hope that they continue to be hot and cold and have one of their off days against us. 

Coleman, Holgate, Mina and Digne as the back line for me (JP in goal). Schneiderlin in the middle with Andre Gomes (if fit) alongside to play box to box, if not then I'd give Sigurdsson the nod again although I thought he was a bit anonymous against Palace. 

Arsenal have a real Achilles heel in their centre back pairing for me, David Luiz I've never understood the fascination with and Mustafi has been stealing a living for a while now. Both DCL and Kean up front bullying them would work well IMO with Richarlison and Bernard operating as inside forwards, basically giving us four options in the final third to attack with.

1 hour ago, Finn balor said:

Delph is back ................... just saying 

I'd have him as the last option to be honest, I don't think he has done anything of note to justify walking straight back into the XI. Long term I'd be happy with calling it a day with him in summer too, just don't think he's the kind of player that we need going forward.

49 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Don't get me wrong, I don't think we have anything to fear against Arsenal but anyone thinking that this will be an easy win need to have a look at themselves (not specifically anyone on here, Twitter mostly). They are still a good side capable of hurting anyone on their day and they've got home advantage - not to mention that they've now got a very good manager in Arteta. They're in a transitional stage at the moment but will be a different beast once he's had time to mould them and has had a summer window to get rid of the deadwood and bring in his own players, I just hope that they continue to be hot and cold and have one of their off days against us. 

Coleman, Holgate, Mina and Digne as the back line for me (JP in goal). Schneiderlin in the middle with Andre Gomes (if fit) alongside to play box to box, if not then I'd give Sigurdsson the nod again although I thought he was a bit anonymous against Palace. 

Arsenal have a real Achilles heel in their centre back pairing for me, David Luiz I've never understood the fascination with and Mustafi has been stealing a living for a while now. Both DCL and Kean up front bullying them would work well IMO with Richarlison and Bernard operating as inside forwards, basically giving us four options in the final third to attack with.

I'd have him as the last option to be honest, I don't think he has done anything of note to justify walking straight back into the XI. Long term I'd be happy with calling it a day with him in summer too, just don't think he's the kind of player that we need going forward.

Aubameyang and Lacazette always have a goal in them, that is the only threat that worries me.  If we can shut them down we can get points.

Arsenal are a very weird team right now. They are much more together now but they still seem to make a howler. I saw them away at Burnley and they started bright and then ran out of ideas and got bullied. A lot of teams are like that at Turf Moor so its not a surprise. They should have had the game as good as won in the opening half hour but when they didn't their heads dropped at bit and so did their intensity. If we aren't at it those first 20-30 minutes will be tough. 

Having said that there probably isn't a better time to play Arsenal. They can still be bullied, they still make mistakes because of their shocking centre backs, and their main two attackers look short of confidence. Lacazette in particular is really struggling. 

I wouldn't change a lot in terms of the starting line-up. I'd want Coleman against Lacazette, I'd want Bernard starting. I wouldn't want Davies or Delph starting for the U23s let alone the first team. The question is what happens to Walcott. Move Richarlison right and lose him up front, bring in Iwobi and lose the directness and pace that Walcott is in the team for, or test Gordon in that position. It's a tough one but as far as I'm concerned as long as it's anyone but Sidibe.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Arsenal are a very weird team right now. They are much more together now but they still seem to make a howler. I saw them away at Burnley and they started bright and then ran out of ideas and got bullied. A lot of teams are like that at Turf Moor so its not a surprise. They should have had the game as good as won in the opening half hour but when they didn't their heads dropped at bit and so did their intensity. If we aren't at it those first 20-30 minutes will be tough. 

Having said that there probably isn't a better time to play Arsenal. They can still be bullied, they still make mistakes because of their shocking centre backs, and their main two attackers look short of confidence. Lacazette in particular is really struggling. 

I wouldn't change a lot in terms of the starting line-up. I'd want Coleman against Lacazette, I'd want Bernard starting. I wouldn't want Davies or Delph starting for the U23s let alone the first team. The question is what happens to Walcott. Move Richarlison right and lose him up front, bring in Iwobi and lose the directness and pace that Walcott is in the team for, or test Gordon in that position. It's a tough one but as far as I'm concerned as long as it's anyone but Sidibe.

If Walcott wasn’t available you could also put Richarlison on the right and start Kean with DCL. 
Arsenal aren’t bad if you stand off them and just try to defend, but press them in their own half and rough their MF and strikers up they struggle. 
Their defenders are poor their MF are poor without time and space to work in and their forwards have become lazy because they don’t see much of the ball. 
The Wenger day’s are well and truly over for this set of players and Arteta isn’t having much of an impact on them since going there. 
If we didn’t win this I would disappointed, we are very much the better team. 

On 09/02/2020 at 00:38, London Blue said:

I like this line up, and I want to see Davies play as I think next to Morgan (when he is in the mood) he is the best fit midfielder we have. Gomes should be on the bench so bye bye Gylfi!!

I thought Siggy had a good second half against Palace and was fairly solid throughout. He wouldn’t be in my long term plans but then neither would Morgan or Davies. Can’t believe I’m saying this but I’d probably stick with Siggy and Morgan in the middle and replace either when Gomes is back fully fit. 

16 hours ago, barryj said:

I thought Siggy had a good second half against Palace and was fairly solid throughout. He wouldn’t be in my long term plans but then neither would Morgan or Davies. Can’t believe I’m saying this but I’d probably stick with Siggy and Morgan in the middle and replace either when Gomes is back fully fit. 

I thought Siggy was awful myself, anonymous for the most part, hesitant in where he should be, which is understandable as he is not a natural midfielder, and slow in moving the ball on. He leaves gaps in midfield and it just feels our midfield is weak with him in it. He did well in his attempt on goal, but that was about it. He has not delivered many assists or goals, and as you say he is not part of the long term plan and will probably go in the summer.

Then again maybe I am being too critical?

On 09/02/2020 at 19:17, Palfy said:

If Walcott wasn’t available you could also put Richarlison on the right and start Kean with DCL. 
Arsenal aren’t bad if you stand off them and just try to defend, but press them in their own half and rough their MF and strikers up they struggle. 
Their defenders are poor their MF are poor without time and space to work in and their forwards have become lazy because they don’t see much of the ball. 
The Wenger day’s are well and truly over for this set of players and Arteta isn’t having much of an impact on them since going there. 
If we didn’t win this I would disappointed, we are very much the better team. 

Basically everything you have said there is applicable to us as well. The slight difference is that DCL and Richarlison are a threat up front. Change that to Kean and DCL and it's much less of a threat IMO. 

On 11/02/2020 at 16:38, London Blue said:

I thought Siggy was awful myself, anonymous for the most part, hesitant in where he should be, which is understandable as he is not a natural midfielder, and slow in moving the ball on. He leaves gaps in midfield and it just feels our midfield is weak with him in it. He did well in his attempt on goal, but that was about it. He has not delivered many assists or goals, and as you say he is not part of the long term plan and will probably go in the summer.

Awful is too far IMO, but he just didn't impact the game enough for the first 60 odd minutes. We were dominant in midfield for that first half so he must have been doing something right even if he didn't stand out for it.

He got more involved once we went to a 5 man midfield as you'd expect.

On 11/02/2020 at 16:38, London Blue said:

Not all all and I agree for the most part this season. I just thought he put his foot in in the second half, was controlled and was one of his better performances this season. I guess everything is relative! 

I actually thought Arsenal did a good job of winning the ball back and controlling the game. 

They were shocking against the counter attack at times though and in the first half they were really poor when it came to putting a few passes together in the final third. They all seemed to want to run with the ball. When they moved the ball quicker, which they did at the end of the first and then into the second half they created chances. 

8 minutes ago, Heath said:

The wait is almost over... COYB!

Pickford

Sidibé  Mina  Holgate  Digne

Walcott  Gomes  Delph  Bernard

DC-L  Richarlison

Don't think Gomes will start will he? Carlo knows best but I'd be happy just to have him on the bench.