IGNORED

Corona Virus

Palfy

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

That’s the most common interpretation, but one as I said that has been questioned more and more by modern theologians.  Agree to disagree.

I read Bart Ehrman's Heaven and Hell, which posited the idea. Are there others I should look at? Would be interested to read!

4 hours ago, Formby said:

I read Bart Ehrman's Heaven and Hell, which posited the idea. Are there others I should look at? Would be interested to read!

rob bell is an interesting author and has a very interesting story.  i recommend "Velvet Elvis", he's written a lot of other books (i haven't read them yet), but both his writing style and open questioning and searching of his faith in his books was really refreshing to me.  that is where i first read of the "gehenna" interpretation.  the rest of the book is really fantastic. 

i haven't read it yet but just got "universal christ" from richard rohr.  it's about how the christian faith essentially used to have 2 fields of thought, the western tradition (essentially the faith now), and the eastern tradition.  in the early years of the church both existed and were accepted, slowly over time the western sort of won out and eastern was more or less forgotten.  it's supposed to be about what that eastern tradition was.  my wife read it and enjoyed it.

8 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

rob bell is an interesting author and has a very interesting story.  i recommend "Velvet Elvis", he's written a lot of other books (i haven't read them yet), but both his writing style and open questioning and searching of his faith in his books was really refreshing to me.  that is where i first read of the "gehenna" interpretation.  the rest of the book is really fantastic. 

i haven't read it yet but just got "universal christ" from richard rohr.  it's about how the christian faith essentially used to have 2 fields of thought, the western tradition (essentially the faith now), and the eastern tradition.  in the early years of the church both existed and were accepted, slowly over time the western sort of won out and eastern was more or less forgotten.  it's supposed to be about what that eastern tradition was.  my wife read it and enjoyed it.

Thanks, Mark - will take a look.

6 hours ago, MikeO said:

Horribly sexist and non PC of me I know but today in Tesco's I joined the lengthy queue for the check-outs and the woman in front of me had the most perfect behind in very tight jeans, oh to be young again! #Old perv.

We all think like 20 year olds trapped in 60 year old bodies, that’s the reality of getting old, the head remembers but the body can’t, still I wouldn’t call you an old perv just a dreamer, I’m  making excuses for myself here as well 😀

9 hours ago, MikeO said:

Horribly sexist and non PC of me I know but today in Tesco's I joined the lengthy queue for the check-outs and the woman in front of me had the most perfect behind in very tight jeans, oh to be young again! #Old perv.

How is it sexist and non PC to admire beauty? What you’re attracted to is driven by chemistry in your brain, you don’t get a choice!

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

We all think like 20 year olds trapped in 60 year old bodies, that’s the reality of getting old, the head remembers but the body can’t, still I wouldn’t call you an old perv just a dreamer, I’m  making excuses for myself here as well 😀

2 hours ago, Matt said:

How is it sexist and non PC to admire beauty? What you’re attracted to is driven by chemistry in your brain, you don’t get a choice!

Feel better now👍

8 minutes ago, pete0 said:

I want to know how long the Virus can live on raw meat 🥩 hours or days, and can staff and shoppers catch it at Asda stores from touching the packaging. 

6 hours ago, pete0 said:

This country is fucked politically, the blind tribal influences that lead people to follow like lambs to the slaughter, certain factions no matter what their failings or crimes to the populace is staggering.