Corona Virus

Palfy

Daughter has been negative for 5 days now but she's now developed a nasty dry cough. Not stopping her going about her business, although it is disrupting her sleep a bit. Asked for an appointment with our GP but that's next week to have a telephone consultation then will be another week before she gets a face to face...

37 minutes ago, Matt said:

Daughter has been negative for 5 days now but she's now developed a nasty dry cough. Not stopping her going about her business, although it is disrupting her sleep a bit. Asked for an appointment with our GP but that's next week to have a telephone consultation then will be another week before she gets a face to face...

They aren’t making it easy to see a GP right now. I hope she’s ok mate, if they want you to take her in to see them will she have to have a PCR test first?

The last time my daughter was sick we spend about ten hours in A&E before being told there was still another seven hours to go. I ended up taking her to a private GP and paying them to check her out, she still ended up back in hospital but this GP called ahead and the hospital (a different one) looked at her as soon as we arrived. Cost me about £150 all together, which is annoying given we have the NHS, but can’t put a price on what any of us would pay to have our kids looked after. 

3 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Yes, Omicron is much milder than previous strains. We had 488,000 confirmed new cases yesterday here in the states. And of course that number is likely more, as there are plenty that go undiagnosed.

One thing I've been noticing is a fair amount of false positives. I've had a few people in my life test positive and then after two or three PCR's, they all come back negative.

Im heading to the states in about seven weeks on a stag do, keeping a keen eye on what’s happening over there. I hope it’s a little more under control and they don’t close the boarders to the UK. 

I’ve not bothered with the PCR, I’ve been positive on three lateral flow tests, I don’t feel great but not too bad, but I know I’m not 100%. Going for a PCR isn’t going to change anything for me. I’ll still be isolating until I’m better and won’t be using up an appointment that someone else might use. Getting bored in the house though. 

2 minutes ago, StevO said:

They aren’t making it easy to see a GP right now. I hope she’s ok mate, if they want you to take her in to see them will she have to have a PCR test first?

The last time my daughter was sick we spend about ten hours in A&E before being told there was still another seven hours to go. I ended up taking her to a private GP and paying them to check her out, she still ended up back in hospital but this GP called ahead and the hospital (a different one) looked at her as soon as we arrived. Cost me about £150 all together, which is annoying given we have the NHS, but can’t put a price on what any of us would pay to have our kids looked after. 

NHS is a bit of a mess at the mo (though cancer services seem to be holding up pretty well as far as I can tell). My niece (who's at uni) was having hearing problems so she saw her GP who said it was wax and they needed syringing; all simple enough until he said they weren't funded to do it anymore, brother paid for her to go private. Madness.

2 minutes ago, MikeO said:

NHS is a bit of a mess at the mo (though cancer services seem to be holding up pretty well as far as I can tell). My niece (who's at uni) was having hearing problems so she saw her GP who said it was wax and they needed syringing; all simple enough until he said they weren't funded to do it anymore, brother paid for her to go private. Madness.

The NHS has been on of the reasons me and my wife resisted moving to the states, her being an NHS employee too. But over the next ten years or so I don’t see the NHS surviving as we once knew it. 

31 minutes ago, StevO said:

I pay for private, monthly discount through work but I call the GP out of habit. Need to get used to going through AXA and relieve some of the pressure on the NHS. 

Well my NYE plans have gone out the window. Was going to spend the day with my two best friends and their 8-month old son, but she just tested positive. He's currently in a show here in Minneapolis, so he's out of the show tonight, and could have exposed other cast members as well. 

Time will tell if it was able to spread or not. Fingers crossed it hasn't, otherwise it could shut down a fair number of shows here.

Hospitalisation’s have exceeded 11,000 the highest since March, with so many NHS staff off with Covid and others physically and emotionally done, has Boris again thrown our nurses and doctors under the bus to save his own skin and appease his back benchers? For me it’s a yes. 

35 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Hospitalisation’s have exceeded 11,000 the highest since March, with so many NHS staff off with Covid and others physically and emotionally done, has Boris again thrown our nurses and doctors under the bus to save his own skin and appease his back benchers? For me it’s a yes. 

Without question.

25 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

My mate who I visited last night has just tested positive.  Likely to pick up my second variant.....

Yeesh, that's not a fun superlative to have.

Was just saying to a friend that I'm truly shocked I've never had it. Was living in NYC for the first 2 1/2 months of lockdown, have had friends contract it, but I've been lucky enough to have avoided it so far.

Hope you feel alright Haf and it's nothing more than a cold

1 hour ago, dunlopp9987 said:

New York Times reporting that early signs of tests done on mice and hamsters, as well as human tissues, show that Omicron does much less harm to the lungs than previous variants. 

Let's hope so, because my younger daughter is still recovering from lung damage from her first infection (18 months ago) and I've probably just passed along to her the latest variant.

18 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

The Atlanta area. Fewer than 50% of people in this area are vaccinated, and many refuse to wear a mask. I tried hard to avoid another infection, but it's not easy.

Love Atlanta, me and the wife had a great night there on the way to Alabama. We stayed in the hotel overlooking the Olympic Park. Tried Ruth Chris Steakhouse for the first time, blew my mind!

Hope you get better soon Steve.
I’m feeling 100% again now, but still testing positive. 

20 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Let's hope so, because my younger daughter is still recovering from lung damage from her first infection (18 months ago) and I've probably just passed along to her the latest variant.

Not the best way to start the new year Steve, everything crossed for your daughter mate must be very tough for you all as a family. 

On 30/12/2021 at 19:53, Palfy said:

Its a bit of a difficult one. 

This variant is going to go nuts. Most people aren't that ill (unvaccinated aside). I have it at the moment and I am lucky enough to be well but I dont know many people that have had it recently that have been more ill than say a bad cold. 

Despite that, loads of people arent able to work because of it. My missus works for an NHS trust and they have their own practice for returning to work which is stricter than the Gov guidance. Understandably for some, however it is applied across the board. 

I am not sure there is a great deal more that can be done. We can't keep locking down for this type of illness that comes around every 3 or 4 months. However, the anecdotal evidence I have seen is that the less vaccinated have suffered from the worst effects of the illness, so can we also realistically keep boosting every few months as well? 

At some point a decision will need to be made as to how we move forward again.

On 31/12/2021 at 18:37, Cornish Steve said:

Steve,  hope the New Year sees all your family back to full health. 

1 million cases reported in the US yesterday, far and away the highest single day total of the pandemic. Some of that is likely skewed because of the backlog of cases reported over the holiday weekend, but still...

On December 29th we broke our previous record of 250,000 cases in a day. 

All I can say is, thank fuck for science.

18 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

1 million cases reported in the US yesterday, far and away the highest single day total of the pandemic. Some of that is likely skewed because of the backlog of cases reported over the holiday weekend, but still...

On December 29th we broke our previous record of 250,000 cases in a day. 

All I can say is, thank fuck for science.

The million cases is a bit inaccurate, was always going to have a few days numbers in after the long weekend. 
That said, those mad cunts in Florida saying they are just not bothering to test anymore and their numbers will go down (from the surgeon general, I think that was his title). Sounds like a great plan. Also put your covid deaths down as natural causes that will help, just be careful not to suffocate with your head buried in all that sand. 

52 minutes ago, StevO said:

The million cases is a bit inaccurate, was always going to have a few days numbers in after the long weekend. 
That said, those mad cunts in Florida saying they are just not bothering to test anymore and their numbers will go down (from the surgeon general, I think that was his title). Sounds like a great plan. Also put your covid deaths down as natural causes that will help, just be careful not to suffocate with your head buried in all that sand. 

Yesterday we had our highest daily tested positive figure of 218,000 and instead of increasing restrictions, our governments response to was to ease restrictions instead. Ever get the feeling that the government don’t really give a fuck anymore. 

14 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Yesterday we had our highest daily tested positive figure of 218,000 and instead of increasing restrictions, our governments response to was to ease restrictions instead. Ever get the feeling that the government don’t really give a fuck anymore. 

Again, first working day after a bank holiday so it’s going to have a few days numbers in there. Not defending the government though, bunch of useless pricks, but throughout the last two years we have low numbers on Saturday and Sunday then high on Monday, Mondays figures are including the extra from the previous two days. After a bank holiday it could be three or four days figures. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

isn't that basically what Boris has said?

Just now, StevO said:

Which bit? Stop testing? I hope not but I struggle to know what he’s saying half the time anyway. 

No more testing for travellers, let's ride it out was the latest message from what I saw

Just now, Matt said:

No more testing for travellers, let's ride it out was the latest message from what I saw

Oh yeah I saw that for travellers, madness! But Florida are just stopping it for everyone it seems. More madness. 

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

They do still test, just only PCR once they test positive in lateral flows.

Im not sure how that will help with detecting new variants quickly but the PCR testing system seems an expensive farce when it is already rife in the country.

Just now, Matt said:

Also stopping PCR in case of positive LFT :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59878823

Again, not defending them, but I didn’t bother with PCR. Tested positive, people I was with tested positive, I knew I had it so didn’t feel the need to get a PCR. My employer didn’t want one so I didn’t bother. 
But I don’t agree with stopping them, if there is a need for them. But can’t say I know enough of the difference. Is the LFT not good enough anyway?

Just now, Bailey said:

They do still test, just only PCR once they test positive in lateral flows.

Im not sure how that will help with detecting new variants quickly but the PCR testing system seems an expensive farce when it is already rife in the country.

Nope, only if they have symptoms.

"Covid testing rules are to be eased for people without symptoms, who will no longer need to confirm a positive lateral flow test with a PCR"

So that's trusting the public to self diagnose rather than a basic procedure to be consistent. So now everyone will just say "I feel fine" because a PCR confirmation requires self isolation. 

5 minutes ago, StevO said:

Again, not defending them, but I didn’t bother with PCR. Tested positive, people I was with tested positive, I knew I had it so didn’t feel the need to get a PCR. My employer didn’t want one so I didn’t bother. 
But I don’t agree with stopping them, if there is a need for them. But can’t say I know enough of the difference. Is the LFT not good enough anyway?

It's to be certain, to provide data and samples that can be analysed in labs. All that data goes to building data plans, potetially samples can be used to test vaccines against? Dunno about that last one to be honest but the idea of PCR is essential for accurate mapping. Leaving people to say "I've not got a temperature, I've just had the heating on" to then not isolate and pass it around further is stupid. Yes, LFT is mostly accurate but PCR is a centralised, clinical confirmation.  

Edit: also would allow traceability and evolution of variants too I would assume. 

12 minutes ago, Matt said:

Nope, only if they have symptoms.

"Covid testing rules are to be eased for people without symptoms, who will no longer need to confirm a positive lateral flow test with a PCR"

So that's trusting the public to self diagnose rather than a basic procedure to be consistent. So now everyone will just say "I feel fine" because a PCR confirmation requires self isolation. 

Sorry my response was in respect of travellers into the country.

On the general topic of PCR / Lat flows. Lat flow results require self-isolation too. I did 3 lat flows and all came back positive. What is the point of me doing a PCR as well? 

51 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Sorry my response was in respect of travellers into the country.

On the general topic of PCR / Lat flows. Lat flow results require self-isolation too. I did 3 lat flows and all came back positive. What is the point of me doing a PCR as well? 

But isolation rules are different. At least 2 weeks ago. I don't know anymore about what random changes have been made to prevent the economy taking another downturn, and I've not had more than 5hrs sleep a night for 2 weeks now so I may be going crazy. All my points about the centralised testing, plotting data maps, deferentiating between variants, potentially using those samples for vaccines can only come from PCR. These tests are for the individual, but they're so important everyone too.

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, StevO said:

I would love the Queen to actually make a comment on what a shambles they are. 

Got Denise welch ridiculing the queen on twitter for needlessly sitting alone by attending g7 summit.

that woman has absolutely no idea of class and leadership. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

I would love the Queen to actually make a comment on what a shambles they are. 

Well she's kinda got her hands full with a sex pest...

That might not be the best phrasing ever but you know what I mean :lol:

Another test tomorrow ahead of a (hopefully) routine hosptal check on Thursday. Strangely I'm having to travel to a different hospital around forty miles away rather than the place I've been at for seven and a half years:dontknow:

14 hours ago, MikeO said:

Another test tomorrow ahead of a (hopefully) routine hosptal check on Thursday. Strangely I'm having to travel to a different hospital around forty miles away rather than the place I've been at for seven and a half years:dontknow:

Good luck 🤞 mate. 

31 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Good luck 🤞 mate. 

Nightmare trip to the test just now, lorry overturned closing the main Exeter/Exmouth road; not a route I had to take but the knock-on effect was chaos/gridlock all over the place.

3 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Nightmare trip to the test just now, lorry overturned closing the main Exeter/Exmouth road; not a route I had to take but the knock-on effect was chaos/gridlock all over the place.

When a main road gets blocked in that area it doesn’t take long for other decent routes to fill up because there are so few. But you’ve arrived safely mate and that’s the most important thing, but I feel your pain this type of thing always happens when you least want it to. 

4 minutes ago, Palfy said:

When a main road gets blocked in that area it doesn’t take long for other decent routes to fill up because there are so few. But you’ve arrived safely mate and that’s the most important thing, but I feel your pain this type of thing always happens when you least want it to. 

Thanks mate, lorry actually hadn't overturned, looks like a low loader dropped some heavy tracked vehicle; taking the roundabout too fast presumably.

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/a376-exeter-shut-into-late-6503922

All Covid restrictions, apart from needing to isolate for 5 days if you test positive and the need to take lateral flow tests for international travel, to be lifted on the 26th of January apparently.

No more lateral flow tests to go the game for me. Get in.

38 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

All Covid restrictions, apart from needing to isolate for 5 days if you test positive and the need to take lateral flow tests for international travel, to be lifted on the 26th of January apparently.

No more lateral flow tests to go the game for me. Get in.

That’s is a forgive Boris gesture. 

21 minutes ago, Palfy said:

How did the examination go today mate. 

Not 'til Thursday Palf, they have to do the test 2/3 days ahead. Not really concerned, I'm still on two monthly checks but I'll know first if/when something goes wrong again without them telling me I think. I knew 99.9% it had come back in 2020 well before they confirmed it, today I feel 99.9% sure there's no problem.

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

Not 'til Thursday Palf, they have to do the test 2/3 days ahead. Not really concerned, I'm still on two monthly checks but I'll know first if/when something goes wrong again without them telling me I think. I knew 99.9% it had come back in 2020 well before they confirmed it, today I feel 99.9% sure there's no problem.

Good 👍 get your name on the next manager list then mate, you’d be a much better option than most on it 😉

The number of people sick right now (colleagues, friends, acquaintances) is off the scale. Some have tested positive; plenty of others aren't even bothering to get tested because it will make no difference anyway - which means the horrendous caseload in the US is probably an underestimate. Sadly, I'm hearing of more deaths, probably because of the comparatively low vaccination rate in this country.