Jump to content

Corona Virus


Palfy
 Share

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

yeah i think you guys have a good unemployment system there though in swiss right?  ours is awful here.  

We do. Its 80% of your previous salary for 2 years. Problem is that 18 months ago I took a 20% cut for my last job, so in effect we’re 40% down from that 2 year mark, and now my wife, who had taken extra work on to try and cover some of it, has had all her work cut off because she teaches. I’ve basically  been making “stock food” that we can make in bulk and freeze for the past 4 days so that we’ve got enough in/pay rent/etc for the next few weeks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Matt said:

We do. Its 80% of your previous salary for 2 years. Problem is that 18 months ago I took a 20% cut for my last job, so in effect we’re 40% down from that 2 year mark, and now my wife, who had taken extra work on to try and cover some of it, has had all her work cut off because she teaches. I’ve basically  been making “stock food” that we can make in bulk and freeze for the past 4 days so that we’ve got enough in/pay rent/etc for the next few weeks. 

Tough times for so many Matt, really wish you the best. I actually feel quite numb to all of this at the mo and quite "fortunate". My mum's death a couple of years back has left us financially quite comfortable (rather be poor and still have my mum but it is what it is); my life hasn't really changed....yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Matt said:

We do. Its 80% of your previous salary for 2 years. Problem is that 18 months ago I took a 20% cut for my last job, so in effect we’re 40% down from that 2 year mark, and now my wife, who had taken extra work on to try and cover some of it, has had all her work cut off because she teaches. I’ve basically  been making “stock food” that we can make in bulk and freeze for the past 4 days so that we’ve got enough in/pay rent/etc for the next few weeks. 

if things get tight shoot me a PM man.  i'm serious.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Some people on my "other" forum, the Macmillan cancer one, having to make really difficult decisions. The main curative treatment for the type of cancer I had (umbrella title head & neck though there are many variants under it) is radiotherapy. For many, me included, chemo is given because it increases the curative effect of the RT by 5/6%; problem is that the chemo drug used completely destroys your immune system for one week in each of the three three week cycles. Even when I had it six years ago I was told to pretty much to isolate as much as possible during those weeks as even a cold could be a killer. Now anyone in that position would be told to self isolate due to covid but how do you do that when you have to go to hospital five days a week for RT?

Lovely guy on the site started his treatment today and decided against having the chemo, accepting the small (but not insignificant), increased risk of dying from cancer against the potential threat of covid doing the same. Did not envy him having to make that decision but lots of people supporting him online and in the flesh, and there will doubtless be many more faced with the same/similar choices; the World's gone crazy.

My sister in law is going through a course of chemotherapy she had a double mastectomy about 8 weeks ago, now she’s got the added worry of catching Coronavirus with her immune system at its lowest. We are not visiting her just in case we infect her. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Palfy said:

My sister in law is going through a course of chemotherapy she had a double mastectomy about 8 weeks ago, now she’s got the added worry of catching Coronavirus with her immune system at its lowest. We are not visiting her just in case we infect her. 

Wise move I think, was my mother-in-law's 89th birthday yesterday but didn't visit. She has daily care but hopefully those that visit are taking the right precautions, sure they are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

Tough times for so many Matt, really wish you the best. I actually feel quite numb to all of this at the mo and quite "fortunate". My mum's death a couple of years back has left us financially quite comfortable (rather be poor and still have my mum but it is what it is); my life hasn't really changed....yet.

Neither has ours yet. Maybe I’m just being paranoid but basics have become my concern. Weird considering we’re quite isolated anyway and have been fortunate enough to have a reasonable income (relatively speaking) for so long. We’re both seeing this as an opportunity though; both time together for the first time in years and a chance to appreciate everything around us (provided we can shop and actually go out!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cancelled my two hospital appointments this week (fitting a heart monitor and ECG).  Have decided to self isolate (84 tomorrow) will only leave the house for really urgent issues. We are fortunate in that we are fairly well stocked up and have two daughters who are brilliant.  All the neighbours are retired and we have been exchanging phone numbers,  email addresses.  We are lucky to have very good neighbours.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, johnh said:

Cancelled my two hospital appointments this week (fitting a heart monitor and ECG).  Have decided to self isolate (84 tomorrow) will only leave the house for really urgent issues. We are fortunate in that we are fairly well stocked up and have two daughters who are brilliant.  All the neighbours are retired and we have been exchanging phone numbers,  email addresses.  We are lucky to have very good neighbours.

Sounds good John, hope you can have a good birthday tomorrow given the circumstances; maybe just for once in your life try a second glass!👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, johnh said:

Have already been told to expect a delivery tomorrow -  bottle of single malt!  Good chance of a second glass.

Love a single malt (can't stand the blended stuff) and was introduced to Tamnavulin last year in Glencoe; absolute nectar. As long as there are no travel restrictions we'll be on Skye next month for a fortnight so will visit the Talisker distillery, that's another wondrous brand. Wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't the cure for Covid-19!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Love a single malt (can't stand the blended stuff) and was introduced to Tamnavulin last year in Glencoe; absolute nectar. As long as there are no travel restrictions we'll be on Skye next month for a fortnight so will visit the Talisker distillery, that's another wondrous brand. Wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't the cure for Covid-19!

Talisker is my “I feel a bit iffy, better cleanse the body” choice. I think I may well choose to be a bit iffy more often than I should be, because it’s a bloody good excuse for a glass of that. One of the best “mottos” too, along with Patek Philipe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would love to be able to drink whiskey. Or any drink for that matter but old habits/age/ responsibilities mean I made the decision to put alcohol out my life.  Just a few drinks brings out the black dog - as Winston Churchill called it.  Awful anxiety and depression for 2 to 3 days after. Happened when I hit 40.  To be fair i had spent the previous 18 years drinking too much and I think my body told me to piss off. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Haiku said:

Guys, you better prepare to stay at home for the rest of the year at least. This thing is not going to disappear in a few weeks.

How are things in Bulgaria @Haiku? When I was there empty shelves were the norm....but you were still behind the Iron Curtain then so a bit different.:(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, MikeO said:

Love a single malt (can't stand the blended stuff) and was introduced to Tamnavulin last year in Glencoe; absolute nectar. As long as there are no travel restrictions we'll be on Skye next month for a fortnight so will visit the Talisker distillery, that's another wondrous brand. Wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't the cure for Covid-19!

Springbank (Campbelltown)  is one of my favourites, though my last couple of presents have been Bunnahabhain (Isle of Islay) which I have acquired quite a taste for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/03/2020 at 18:41, MikeO said:

Image

Sad to see this.

Here in Dubai, which also has its COVID-19 issues, there is no panic buying, shops remain well stocked and customers remain polite to each other and the shop staff.

My wife and I went out for our weekly fruit and veg shop earlier today and it was ops normal.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, MikeO said:

Love a single malt (can't stand the blended stuff) and was introduced to Tamnavulin last year in Glencoe; absolute nectar. As long as there are no travel restrictions we'll be on Skye next month for a fortnight so will visit the Talisker distillery, that's another wondrous brand. Wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't the cure for Covid-19!

 

1 hour ago, johnh said:

Springbank (Campbelltown)  is one of my favourites, though my last couple of presents have been Bunnahabhain (Isle of Islay) which I have acquired quite a taste for.

Happy birthday John, fair play to you boys and your Whiskey 🥃 I can’t stomach it really have no taste for it what so ever. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

same here then they will re-evaluate which means for another couple of months.

Yep -- depending on how much progress we've made (or lack thereof) will determine what comes next. Thankful I'm able to work from home in times like these. My daughter is getting pretty bored though, since we can't really go out and do anything. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

Yep -- depending on how much progress we've made (or lack thereof) will determine what comes next. Thankful I'm able to work from home in times like these. My daughter is getting pretty bored though, since we can't really go out and do anything. 

yeah.  we've got a little check list for the kids.  one learning activity (read, worksheets, art), one outside time (go for a walk, play on the swingset), one ipad learning activity (there are tons of apps that are fun and educational), and one creative time (play lego, play with toys, etc).  after that they can get the ipad and watch disney plus and the like, but it helps to keep it organized and help them to have "school" type things where their brains are still active.  i told my wife we are not teachers so if the plan goes out the window occasionally thats fine.  thankfully i can work from home too, more to help with the kids than anything.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

yeah.  we've got a little check list for the kids.  one learning activity (read, worksheets, art), one outside time (go for a walk, play on the swingset), one ipad learning activity (there are tons of apps that are fun and educational), and one creative time (play lego, play with toys, etc).  after that they can get the ipad and watch disney plus and the like, but it helps to keep it organized and help them to have "school" type things where their brains are still active.  i told my wife we are not teachers so if the plan goes out the window occasionally thats fine.  thankfully i can work from home too, more to help with the kids than anything.  

Sounds like you got all sorted mate 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm working from home from Thursday till a week Monday later. 

Personally I'm very likely to get it.  The train I get is chocka in the mornings until today. 

My wife is a nurse and she thinks she had this virus at the start of November, awful headaches and fever. Said the headache was like nothing she's had before. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, MikeO said:

How are things in Bulgaria @Haiku? When I was there empty shelves were the norm....but you were still behind the Iron Curtain then so a bit different.:(

These were times I barely have any memory of since I was very young back then. We are currently not much different than most countries in Europe. Of course these are stressful times for everyone, but grocery stores are stocked up and there's plenty of food for everyone. My biggest concern is that our healthcare system, knowing how fragile and underfunded is, will collapse pretty quick when cases rise. Hope that doesn't happen though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wife doesn't want to go to Skye next month because she thinks we're "safer" at home; personally I'd still like to go and she said to go on my own but that's not going to happen. Fortunately the site we booked through is allowing people to change their dates at no extra cost (it's already fully paid for) so I think we're going to put it back a year and go April 2021; shame, was really looking forward to it. As it stands we won't get anything back on our hotel in Lockerbie which was a stopover both going and coming back but that's not a big amount.

So now we wait and see how things develop as to whether we get to Greece in September. I have my doubts.

18 minutes ago, Palfy said:

All schools to shut after Friday, this is bad news for a lot of families who will struggle with child care, as grandparents we will have to pickup the slack if our health allows it. 

But given the virus is more dangerous the older you get that's not a sensible option for most; certainly not for us with pre-existing medical stuff, my lungs were permanently damaged after pneumonia nearly got me in 1994 and even if we were A1 health-wise there are ten of them and we have a two bed semi so nowhere to put them. Tough times ahead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Wife doesn't want to go to Skye next month because she thinks we're "safer" at home; personally I'd still like to go and she said to go on my own but that's not going to happen. Fortunately the site we booked through is allowing people to change their dates at no extra cost (it's already fully paid for) so I think we're going to put it back a year and go April 2021; shame, was really looking forward to it. As it stands we won't get anything back on our hotel in Lockerbie which was a stopover both going and coming back but that's not a big amount.

So now we wait and see how things develop as to whether we get to Greece in September. I have my doubts.

But given the virus is more dangerous the older you get that's not a sensible option for most; certainly not for us with pre-existing medical stuff, my lungs were permanently damaged after pneumonia nearly got me in 1994 and even if we were A1 health-wise there are ten of them and we have a two bed semi so nowhere to put them. Tough times ahead.

Very tough times ahead mate, with out trying to sound to melodramatic about things, it’s going to be like writing this year off when it comes to doing the normal day to day things we take for granted. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, MikeO said:

Zero new cases in China yesterday for the first time, has to be a good sign doesn't it?

It does mate, now the world are waiting to see that if they go clear for a week or so, and if so whether a fresh outbreak will startup if it does that will be bad news for us all, and will probably mean this virus could be with us for a long time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I’m hearing Trump has tested positive is there any truth in this, or am I just dreaming. 

I think it's just speculation because he was in close contact quite recently with a Brazilian who's since tested positive...old news though if that's the case.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/12/trump-coronavirus-photo-brazilian-aide-bolsonaro-contact-latest

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

I'm on day three of total isolation (underlying health condition) and I'm pissed off already :lol: 

Can't even imagine how much weight I'm going to put on by the amount of eating I'm doing just for something to do. I have read two books though, so there's that.

Where you getting all the food from have you been panic buying 😉 hopefully you’re be alright mate after your isolation all be it a couple of stone heavier and no clothes that fit😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RPG said:

Emirates Airline suspending all passenger flights effective 25/3/20 and a sliding scale of pay cuts for 3 months depending on current position/salary. Presidents take a 100% pay cut, middle management 50% and juniors 25%, in an honest attempt to try to avoid a single job loss.

Stay safe out there.

wow that's altruistic and wonderful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is beginning to feel like a disaster movie; I watch the TV and can't get my head around the fact that it's a real thing. The strangest part of it is that I'm quite impressed by Johnson at the press briefings as much as I hate the guy, he's Churchillian in comparison to the absurd Trump, "we have the greatest" nonsense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The nearest I've been to this previously was in 1956 in Singapore. We had a lad in  our barrack room was taken ill and rushed into the military hospital.  The info came back that he had a type of encephalitis. He was so bad that the Army refused to fly his parents out as the flight took 4 days and they didn't think he would live that long.  They found that the infection was caused by a mosquito bite from a mosquito that had been on a rat.  We were all put on lock-down and the Army came in and disinfected the whole area. We were ordered to sleep with mosquito nets, something we didn't usually bother with.  We were only on lock-down for about 4 days but we were mighty relieved when it was over.  Not knowing was the worst thing. Delighted to say that the lad recovered and was shipped back to blighty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, holystove said:

UK health ministers are refusing to attend European health ministers conference calls because it doesn't rhyme with brexit.. ffs.

I haven’t seen anything reported to support that here, but it wouldn’t surprise me that that has happened, this government has been pushing for self isolation before the breakout of the Coronavirus. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My older daughter is a physician assistant (whom you see when you visit a 'doctor' in the US), and my oldest son and his girlfriend are nurses. My son texted us the other night because they are seeing a rush a new patients in the ICU where he works, and they're not just older patients: some are in their 20s, 30s, 40s, or 50s. He's urging us to stay at home for as long as it takes. They're already working longer hours and on their days off. I really hope they don't get sick: If doctors and nurses go down with this, who helps patients then?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Trump may have tested negative, but Rand Paul is the first US senator to test positive. This is the guy who voted against the government offering free testing and financial support to those affected.

I hope he plans to pull himself up by his bootstraps and invent his own vaccine/treatments.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, MikeO said:

This is beginning to feel like a disaster movie; I watch the TV and can't get my head around the fact that it's a real thing. The strangest part of it is that I'm quite impressed by Johnson at the press briefings as much as I hate the guy, he's Churchillian in comparison to the absurd Trump, "we have the greatest" nonsense.

I think you make a good point. I did 12 years in the military and had several 'leaders' who I didn't particularly like. But if we ever went to war, they were the guys I wanted to be in charge.

Leadership isn't a popularity contest. Any fool can be popular. Sometimes we just have to do the right thing, even ensure that others do the right thing too, especially when they can't or won't see the greater need to behave in a certain manner. And I think that is exactly what Johnson is doing now. Love him or hate him personally, he is doing a bloody good job as PM of leading the country through this crisis.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...