IGNORED

Gabriel Magalhães

There has been a few more soundbites about this guy again today so thought I would have a look at him and to be fair, he looks like a bit of a player.

I rarely fancy a player off of a video because most of the time if you look hard enough you can see plenty of faults. The problem with this guy is that he is very left footed. I don't think I saw him make a tackle or a pass with his right plus he also likes diving in a hell of a lot. It's not a trait I am a fan of as it generally suggests poor positioning but this guy was a bit strange because he was in the right position but then decided to jump in anyway!

Other than that, I couldn't see any other obvious flaws. He is very balanced and agile for a big man. He seemed aerially dominant and aggressive. His dribbling, passing ability and vision make him look more like a midfielder than a Defender. He would easily be our best ball player at the back... by a street.

I could see him having a huge future if he settles into the league.

Not so sure about this tackling means bad positioning trend, did PeteO make this true somehow haha?

Reading when to dive in is one of the most difficult skills to learn in football. You can’t play in your garden training it, you can only learn in game. 
One of my favourite Everton defenders was a master at this, Dave Watson. 

Diving in and mistiming is a different thing altogether. But knowing when to put your foot in is a great skill. 

Not replying in particular to you Bailey, I haven’t saw this guy play. Just this growing trend that tackling is bad. It’s one of the most heart pumping moments in a football match, and I hope we don’t work it out of the game.

49 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Diving in and mistiming is a different thing altogether. But knowing when to put your foot in is a great skill. 

Exactly. Don't think even the most earnest Gana fan could say he had that skill locked down. He was more of a dog chasing a ball. Compared to the likes of Carsley, Barry and McCarthy who all liked a tackle but had much better positional sense.

7 hours ago, Shukes said:

Not so sure about this tackling means bad positioning trend, did PeteO make this true somehow haha?

I think it was Maldini. I’m sure he said if he has to make a tackle it’s because he’s already made a mistake. 

4 hours ago, StevO said:

I think it was Maldini. I’m sure he said if he has to make a tackle it’s because he’s already made a mistake. 

Yes a famous quote from Maldini, he was talking about sliding tackles though. He was also a master at timing his step in. 
He also spoke about the fake tackle, shaping up to dive in to a slide, which temped the player into evasive action, thus losing control of the ball. Where he would step in and make the tackle.

20 hours ago, Shukes said:

Reading when to dive in is one of the most difficult skills to learn in football. You can’t play in your garden training it, you can only learn in game. 
One of my favourite Everton defenders was a master at this, Dave Watson. 

Not replying in particular to you Bailey, I haven’t saw this guy play. Just this growing trend that tackling is bad. It’s one of the most heart pumping moments in a football match, and I hope we don’t work it out of the game.

Its obviously not always the case but if you have to dive in, I would estimate that more often than not it is because the attacker has the drop on you and as a centre half you are struggling to get back at them. You shouldn't really need to slide in that often if your positioning is good. if you are going off your feet, especially in the modern game, you are taking a risk. If you time it wrong you are at worst booked or you have just taken yourself completely out of the game.

If the guy isn't your man and you are on the cover then its a different story. Most of the times I have had to dive in is because I am frantically trying to get across to cover someone else's fuck up. I always thought it was a particular quality of Jagielka's.

Going back to Gabriel, this fella gets into a position to clear it easily on his feet but just dives in to make sure. Its a weird one, I haven't seen anything like it!

I meant more the timing to dive in (jump in) not sliding to be fair. Bad terminology from me. 

I agree staying on your feet when possible is the best way, it’s how I teach the kids.

Watson used to have an article in shoot magazine teaching how to make it look like your going to slide, but then nip in and take the ball. I was a big fan of shoot haha.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

just move on he ain't coming here go to target number 2 and get it on, i'd rather that than wait till deadline day and be denied.  move quickly, City got torres for a STEAL and right when the window opened, surely we can negotiate something?

City don’t have to sell to buy, maybe we have already negotiated something but need to clear some more deadwood before we can finalise any deals ? 

17 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

City don’t have to sell to buy, maybe we have already negotiated something but need to clear some more deadwood before we can finalise any deals ? 

Plus if City come in for you then you arent really going to wait and see if anyone bigger makes a bid. 

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

just move on he ain't coming here go to target number 2 and get it on, i'd rather that than wait till deadline day and be denied.  move quickly, City got torres for a STEAL and right when the window opened, surely we can negotiate something?

Alan tweeted a few days ago saying we have a fair chance. 

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Thought it was United?

United are rumoured to have had contact with his agent awhile ago, but arsenal seem to be more heavily linked and are said to have started talks with Lille. Not sure how much is true it child well be united. Chelsea have also had their name thrown in the mix. The majority of the top 6 this window will look to strengthen at CB which will be a problem for us. 

I know people want us to move on from him because he seems to want to bide his time to see what clubs come in for him, but the sad reality is 90% of the players we try to sign this window will likely do the same. There's plenty interest in players like him for a reason. 

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

i don't know who is going to buy our deadwood, its all marked for loan deals in my mind.  maybe iwobi can be sold cause he's young.

57 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Not to mention Valencia needed to bring money in and quickly. Hence the relatively low fee. 

good point, why can't everton think of things like this?  trigger sell clauses from poorer teams in foreign leagues, instead it's battle with 2 larger clubs and hope they fall through and the player wants to sign for the scraps everton.  i get wanting to try and get the best players but can't we beat someone to the punch for once? 

sorry for the rant romey, not pointed at you, just frustrated every year with our shambolic "transfer department".

I think we have done pretty well with some fees. Kean was expected to be a lot more expensive, Digne and Richarlison have both turned out to be deals. Gomes looked a good deal at the time and the small glimpse of Branthwaite looks a bargain too. Even the possible deal for Sidibe was theoretically a good one even if it didn't work out. 

No doubt there are some poor ones. Even though zi still hold out some hope for Iwobi, the fee was still very high. too but its not like Brands hasnt done some good work it just hasn't quite clicked yet.

I'm sceptical of that article. In the middle of an economic crisis, a French club have struck up a "gentleman's agreement" with an Italian club and are therefore not open to offers from vastly richer Premier League clubs? I seriously doubt that's how this stuff works.