IGNORED

Philippe Coutinho

• 9 months later...

Not as crazy as it sounds this one, Coutinho has been exiled at Barcelona in a similar vein to how Niasse was at Everton (just without the binbags and the lockers). At the annual squad photo Phillipe wasn't invited, instead just being photoshopped onto the end of one of the rows to much delight on Twitter as the photo went viral. Koeman hasn't used him much and is apparently happy to sell, in order to raise funds for both Barcelona's crippling debt and the pursuit of Erling Haaland (the fact I can put both of those facts in the same sentence shows how bonkers the Spanish elite are).

Coutinho was and still is an outstanding player, he just struggled to live up to the insane transfer fee that Barcelona paid and being the heir to Xavi and Iniesta's throne. After being booed and jeered at Camp Nou, there's really been no way back for him and I'm just surprised he's stayed at the club for this long, had he jumped ship early enough he could have been still playing within Europe's elite and rebuilt what has been a downward dip in his career.

Despite me saying that I wouldn't sign Rafa in the other thread (one reason being his age). I'd jump at the chance to have Coutinho as he's just an outstanding player, if he can capture even half of what he had at Liverpool he'd be in the XI for us every week.

He's very much in the ilk of Sigurdsson although with a little extra Brazilian magic. Doesn't do enough in the 90 and doesn't suit Ancelotti's tactics unless he sees him as a back up for James but I don't see Coutinho being able to fill those boots. Rather a proper wide player for a different option. For that price and lower wages you'd get a higher energy and overall more quality from the likes of Sarr and Buendia.

3 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Not as crazy as it sounds this one, Coutinho has been exiled at Barcelona in a similar vein to how Niasse was at Everton (just without the binbags and the lockers). At the annual squad photo Phillipe wasn't invited, instead just being photoshopped onto the end of one of the rows to much delight on Twitter as the photo went viral. Koeman hasn't used him much and is apparently happy to sell, in order to raise funds for both Barcelona's crippling debt and the pursuit of Erling Haaland (the fact I can put both of those facts in the same sentence shows how bonkers the Spanish elite are).

Coutinho was and still is an outstanding player, he just struggled to live up to the insane transfer fee that Barcelona paid and being the heir to Xavi and Iniesta's throne. After being booed and jeered at Camp Nou, there's really been no way back for him and I'm just surprised he's stayed at the club for this long, had he jumped ship early enough he could have been still playing within Europe's elite and rebuilt what has been a downward dip in his career.

Despite me saying that I wouldn't sign Rafa in the other thread (one reason being his age). I'd jump at the chance to have Coutinho as he's just an outstanding player, if he can capture even half of what he had at Liverpool he'd be in the XI for us every week.

Great post, difference between him and Rafa Silva is Phillipe has proven himself in the premier league already.  Also the asking price is less.  

1 minute ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

It's gathering pace, but as you say it all stems from the source that should not be named. 

The fact that some outlets are saying that it's a done deal because we're house hunting doesn't really mean much to me either - we'd do that during any negotiations, and probably have a whole department that deals with that kind of thing. Doesn't necessarily mean that anything is close or confirmed IMO.

That said, would be really excited if this one did come off. 

8 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

It's gathering pace, but as you say it all stems from the source that should not be named. 

The fact that some outlets are saying that it's a done deal because we're house hunting doesn't really mean much to me either - we'd do that during any negotiations, and probably have a whole department that deals with that kind of thing. Doesn't necessarily mean that anything is close or confirmed IMO.

That said, would be really excited if this one did come off. 

We do indeed have a team of people who’s job is to integrate new players into not only the team but integrate their families into the area. I’d be surprised if they don’t have strong ties to estate agents and pretty much offer up a bunch of possible houses during any negotiations, with them ready to go as soon as needed. 
Still, I’d be very excited if we got Coutinho. 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Haiku said:

I would not be happy at all. James Rodrigues written all over it. Luxury "Has Been" hampered by injuries. We are going nowhere with such signings. Did we really learn from our mistakes?

Mistakes? We got James on a free and when he was on the pitch he was our best player most of the time and consistently our most creative. 
If we can get a player in of Coutinho’s quality I’ll be very happy. 

7 minutes ago, StevO said:

Mistakes? We got James on a free and when he was on the pitch he was our best player most of the time and consistently our most creative. 
If we can get a player in of Coutinho’s quality I’ll be very happy. 

James was injured or unfit most of the time, mate. He's nothing more than expensive bench player and Coutinho is in the same category. We need players who can contribute week in week out.

10 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Maybe he will be looking to rotate him with James....

For me that would be the ideal scenario if we can have both. I know you can’t time injuries, but you could manage workload a whole lot more with two of them. Week on week off, keep them fresh. 
Ideal world though. 

Just now, StevO said:

For me that would be the ideal scenario if we can have both. I know you can’t time injuries, but you could manage workload a whole lot more with two of them. Week on week off, keep them fresh. 
Ideal world though. 

This is Everton. It would never work like that!