IGNORED

Philippe Coutinho

1 hour ago, StevO said:

For me that would be the ideal scenario if we can have both. I know you can’t time injuries, but you could manage workload a whole lot more with two of them. Week on week off, keep them fresh. 
Ideal world though. 

I’ve already accepted James will be playing elsewhere next season.

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

21 million for Coutinho? 
Really? If that’s true, surely we should be all over that? 
He’s 29! Not 35 haha. 

Quality player. What else can you get for 21 million? A decent championship player perhaps?

He’s reportedly said he’s not interested in coming here, if true what can you do. 

22 minutes ago, Shukes said:

That’s different. If he doesnt want to come, there’s nothing we can do about it.

I do think now we’ve lost the pull of Ancelotti we will struggle to get big names to come here. So let’s hope Rafa can deliver some good honest management and create a winning team with above average players, instead of some of the big time Charlie’s that are out there. 

4 hours ago, London Blue said:

we are supposed to be signing young talented players

Are we? Nothing is set in stone. Yeah, we would all like to see young talented players come in, but we also can’t afford to wait for these players to realise their talent. We need players who are ready now just as much, if not more so. 

2 minutes ago, StevO said:

Are we? Nothing is set in stone. Yeah, we would all like to see young talented players come in, but we also can’t afford to wait for these players to realise their talent. We need players who are ready now just as much, if not more so. 

I thought that was the philosophy we had adopted under Brands?

Just now, London Blue said:

I thought that was the philosophy we had adopted under Brands?

Well I’ve seen fans say this, but not so much more. 
Ive seen Brands say we need to invest in young talent and equally invest in players for the team now. 
As all transfers are agreed by Brands, Moshiri and whoever the manager is at the time having any sort of set in stone philosophy is difficult.  

I think we’ve got lots of fans out there who are expecting Brands to find the next big thing. Realistically it just isn’t going to happen.

Even if he did go out and buy lots of exciting young talent would us fans be happy to watch the teams performances drop while the players develop? I don’t think the masses would accept it.  

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Well I’ve seen fans say this, but not so much more. 
Ive seen Brands say we need to invest in young talent and equally invest in players for the team now. 
As all transfers are agreed by Brands, Moshiri and whoever the manager is at the time having any sort of set in stone philosophy is difficult.  

I think we’ve got lots of fans out there who are expecting Brands to find the next big thing. Realistically it just isn’t going to happen.

Even if he did go out and buy lots of exciting young talent would us fans be happy to watch the teams performances drop while the players develop? I don’t think the masses would accept it.  

I have heard it reported many times that this was our strategy. I know we have to balance performance now with future success, but we signed 3 older players last summer. 

We need pace and that tends to come from younger players.

6 hours ago, London Blue said:

I have heard it reported many times that this was our strategy. I know we have to balance performance now with future success, but we signed 3 older players last summer. 

We need pace and that tends to come from younger players.

It’s might be what’s spoken about as part of a strategy, but it’ll never be THE strategy. It’s just not possible. Go and buy four 20 year olds, put them in the team, lose three on the bounce, it all falls apart. 
When it’s such a short term results business they have to buy players for the future and players for now. Marcel has said the same himself. 

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Not the type of player who wants to defend for 90 minutes, why would he come here?

Are you subscribing to the narrative that Rafa just defends? 

He starts at his clubs by working on defensive solidity..... All players are part of it in terms of shape.  But he also has all players involved in attack.  

3 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Are you subscribing to the narrative that Rafa just defends? 

He starts at his clubs by working on defensive solidity..... All players are part of it in terms of shape.  But he also has all players involved in attack.  

I doubt he gets to the free flowing football stage,  he’s gonna be sacked before then

6 hours ago, StevO said:

It’s might be what’s spoken about as part of a strategy, but it’ll never be THE strategy. It’s just not possible. Go and buy four 20 year olds, put them in the team, lose three on the bounce, it all falls apart. 
When it’s such a short term results business they have to buy players for the future and players for now. Marcel has said the same himself. 

Exactly this, you need a mix of all of all different ages in a squad and then when the older ones drop off, the new ones should be coming through to pick up the mantle.

I think a lot of the problems we have faced since Moyes left is that he build a really strong core group of senior players but by the time he left, the younger lads weren't up to speed and older players were at the age when they needed to be replaced. Stones and Barkley came through in the limelight, Lukaku and Geri were also brought in but along then our inconsistencies started to show, the players lost their confidence and it went tits up.

Since then, how many reliable senior pros do we have? Probably not enough. How many young lads do we have coming through the ranks, stepping forward season after season? Godfrey, Dom?

14 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

The manager we’ve just hired tells you all you need to know - we’re not thinking long-term at all but are concerned with our immediate future, so it’s not a surprise if we don’t think long-term with player recruitment either. 

I think they've shit the bed and gone with a manager they know won't walk away from us like Ancelotti did. 

I'm thinking we've got him for at least two years until Brands has got the squad built.

3 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

D'ya know, I can't see that happening and I'm the glass half empty type.

Why do we act like the cupboard is bare? We had our best record vs. the traditional top 6 in our Premier League history. I think we’d all agree we have quality at the back. We have DCL and Richarlison at last check. We have Allan and Doucoure in the middle. Yes, we have holes to fill but so do most squads. Why is there any reason to believe a relegation type season is even a remote possibility? Is our confidence really that low as supporters?