IGNORED

Norwich City (Away) Wednesday June 24

markjazzbassist

strong defensive showing against the shite, meanwhile they lost 3-0 to soton, they are not a good side, they are bottom table.  i'm expecting a win here.  i don't care about the break and fitness, we can beat them.  i'd do the same lineup as the derby minus iwobi and put bernard on from the start.

Pickford

Coleman Keane Holgate Digne

Gordon  Davies Gomes  Bernard

DCL Richarlison

I'd be seriously pissed off if we don't take anything less than three points here, they're absolutely shite. Out of their depth in the Premier League and not good enough to be causing us problems (you'd hope). 

I agree with @markjazzbassist, same team as it was tonight against Liverpool. Keep it nice and tight as they're bound to leave gaps at the back, they're desperate for wins (draws won't do anything for them) so they'll be getting forward in numbers. DCL and Charlie on the counter attack should be the key to winning this. 

Kean getting some game time (hopefully around 60 minutes) would be nice too. Let's get him back on the scoresheet. 

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

I wouldn’t change the front two at all. They’re developing a good partnership, you never tinker with that. 

You’ve got to try and rotate the squad when you are playing so many games in a short space of time, and when players aren’t completely up to speed if you beast them you risk injuries. 

38 minutes ago, barryj said:

48 hrs less rest than Norwich and the least time between games out of whole league. If I remember rightly this was the same over Christmas with the worst or second worse schedule. Anyone get the feeling someone somewhere has it in for us? 

we need to rise above, they will always screw us, Carlo has the right mindset, just need the right players and it's us against the world.  'F em all!

14 hours ago, Matt said:

But he’s not rotating them, he’s changing the formation

I wasn’t referring to his formation I agree if a system is working don’t change it, I was more referring to rotating the players with in the formation, especially when there are so many games in a short space of time, for me it would be unwise to expect the same 2 to play every game upfront in such a tight schedule. 

Norwich started well against Soton but it then went downhill pretty quickly after that. They still caused Soton plenty of problems despite the scoreline saying otherwise.

The problem for them is that they are terrible at the back. 

You could argue that playing the same way as we did against Liverpool, drawing them onto us and then hitting the quick and hard against their dodgy back line could work quite well. We will need to pass to a blue shirt for that to work though! 

On 23/06/2020 at 05:21, pete0 said:

I'd like to see Ancelotti move away from the 442 for this one. 

Pickford 

Coleman Keane Holgate Digne 

Gomes

Richarlison Davies Iwobi Gordon 

DCL

I like it - Id just prefer to see the wingers up with DCL and the 3 in the middle compact, working together.

On 22/06/2020 at 15:59, Palfy said:

You’ve got to try and rotate the squad when you are playing so many games in a short space of time, and when players aren’t completely up to speed if you beast them you risk injuries. 

Generally I agree with this position, but I’m inclined to prefer just a couple of changes to the starters for the Norwich match.  Change only the wings.  Bernard on left and ..... who knows on right, but not Iwobi.  Sidibé not available.  Kean, maybe?  I’d prefer Sigurdsson to Iwobi.

I do worry that the quick turnaround may mean Gomes will run out of gas, so I can only hope we’re leading by 2 at 60-70 minutes so he can come off the pitch by then.  If Bernard either tires or isn’t effective, I’d like to see Digne move up to LW from LB, with Baines on.

I agree with Palfy’s general point, in that July will see too many matches too quickly — 5 matches in 13 days from July 6-18 — so some judicious rotation will be in order.  

20 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Generally I agree with this position, but I’m inclined to prefer just a couple of changes to the starters for the Norwich match.  Change only the wings.  Bernard on left and ..... who knows on right, but not Iwobi.  Sidibé not available.  Kean, maybe?  I’d prefer Sigurdsson to Iwobi.

I do worry that the quick turnaround may mean Gomes will run out of gas, so I can only hope we’re leading by 2 at 60-70 minutes so he can come off the pitch by then.  If Bernard either tires or isn’t effective, I’d like to see Digne move up to LW from LB, with Baines on.

I agree with Palfy’s general point, in that July will see too many matches too quickly — 5 matches in 13 days from July 6-18 — so some judicious rotation will be in order.  

Bernard and Gordon for me. Give the kid an actual run of games - even if it’s the 60 or first half but keep him involved and he will get better and better.

1 hour ago, Elston Gunnn said:

I think the only change we might see is Bernard for Gordon, but I am of the same opinion as Btay in that it would be good for his confidence and development that he starts the this game, even if only for the  first half, that way he won’t have doubts about his own ability. 
Carlo definitely thinks a European spot is still on so we may see no changes in personnel, but he may free up the wide men allowing them to get forward more, knowing they are far less a threat than Liverpool in front of goal. 
I can see a change in tactics of more attacking play as we go out for a must win. 

9 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I think the only change we might see is Bernard for Gordon, but I am of the same opinion as Btay in that it would be good for his confidence and development that he starts the this game, even if only for the  first half, that way he won’t have doubts about his own ability. 
Carlo definitely thinks a European spot is still on so we may see no changes in personnel, but he may free up the wide men allowing them to get forward more, knowing they are far less a threat than Liverpool in front of goal. 
I can see a change in tactics of more attacking play as we go out for a must win. 

Nail on the head here mate. 

High intensity and really get at them for that early goal.

10 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

I can see both Gomes and Davies looking like they are running in mud by the end of the game. They get asked to cover a lot of ground, which they aren't good at anyway and the quick turnaround will cause them even more problems that usual!

I don’t know what the temperature is like in Norwich but here it’s 31 degrees, this could turn into a very slow and ponderous game, with the subs playing a key role. 
And if the game is slow will probably benefit Norwich more than us. 

2 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I don’t know what the temperature is like in Norwich but here it’s 31 degrees, this could turn into a very slow and ponderous game, with the subs playing a key role. 
And if the game is slow will probably benefit Norwich more than us. 

why?  they are a klopp copy geggen press high tempo action and press team, it would benefit us if we decide to defend and counter.

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

why?  they are a klopp copy geggen press high tempo action and press team, it would benefit us if we decide to defend and counter.

Exactly that type of pressing game takes more out of you, so it could force them to stay back and defend deeper. Mate we are more closely related to Eskimos in Britain we melt when it exceeds 24 degrees 😄, there won’t be much high pressing in these temperatures trust me. 

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

Exactly that type of pressing game takes more out of you, so it could force them to stay back and defend deeper. Mate we are more closely related to Eskimos in Britain we melt when it exceeds 24 degrees 😄, there won’t be much high pressing in these temperatures trust me. 

which would benefit us because we don't play that way.  if they have to play a way that doesn't suit them it will put them off kilter.  i fancy us big time.  31 degrees is freezing temp here in the states, talk about 95 or 100 and then we're talking hot ;)

14 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

which would benefit us because we don't play that way.  if they have to play a way that doesn't suit them it will put them off kilter.  i fancy us big time.  31 degrees is freezing temp here in the states, talk about 95 or 100 and then we're talking hot ;)

😂 We will of that I’m fairly sure, but I don’t see being a breeze I have it very tight. 

19 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Tony Hibbert in the FA cup final was hard to watch. Could see his poor ginger soul leave his body. 

Would like some rotation as you've said before - we can't keep playing same XI with the limited training / conditioning they have had...

Pickford

Coleman   Holgate  Keane   Baines

Banignme

Gomes      Siggy

Richarlison                          Gordon

DCL

Unlikely to happen though.

Siggy or Bernard could swap here maybe. Norwich should be open for periods of this game as they are no in the position where draws are not enough. I know they did us at Goodison but these are different times. We need to see if Banignme is any good or not and keep giving time to Gordon.