IGNORED

Niels Nkounkou

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So what is the future for Niels? I think we can all see the ability he has going forward. However, right now his defending doesn’t look up to Premier League standard and that makes him tough to play at the back. When he’s on the ball he looks like he could be a winger but I don’t know that his finishing is on that level either. Obviously he’s young and hopefully will continue to develop but it’s not easy for me to see where he fits in as a Premier League starter down the road.

Just now, SpartyBlue said:

So what is the future for Niels? I think we can all see the ability he has going forward. However, right now his defending doesn’t look up to Premier League standard and that makes him tough to play at the back. When he’s on the ball he looks like he could be a winger but I don’t know that his finishing is on that level either. Obviously he’s young and hopefully will continue to develop but it’s not easy for me to see where he fits in as a Premier League starter down the road.

A loan move where he can iron out his defensive play is needed.

20 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

A loan move where he can iron out his defensive play is needed.

Seems reasonable though who is our backup for Digne in that case? I also wonder if he’s at the stage where he’s better served by our coaches honing his defensive skills in training. If he goes somewhere he will likely play more but will he learn more? 

6 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

Seems reasonable though who is our backup for Digne in that case? I also wonder if he’s at the stage where he’s better served by our coaches honing his defensive skills in training. If he goes somewhere he will likely play more but will he learn more? 

I guess it'd have to be Godfrey, even though I'm not entirely happy with that scenario.

Just now, Romey 1878 said:

I guess it'd have to be Godfrey, even though I'm not entirely happy with that scenario.

Yeah I mean with our somewhat struggling CB’s I’d rather just play him in his best position. In an ideal world we bring in some solid veteran LB to spell Digne and Niels goes and plays 30 games on loan somewhere. 

14 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

I don't think it helped that Brathwaite and Niels played on that side together and they looked to be up against the two liveliest Huddersfield players. 

Having said that, he defends like an attacker and bar his crossing, he attacks like a defender. 

I see him as a full back but he needs to learn how to defend. 

12 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I don't think it helped that Brathwaite and Niels played on that side together and they looked to be up against the two liveliest Huddersfield players. 

Having said that, he defends like an attacker and bar his crossing, he attacks like a defender. 

I see him as a full back but he needs to learn how to defend. 

For me I’d amend this and say he attacks well but he finishes like a defender 

1 hour ago, Btay said:

He hasn’t had a real run of senior football over here. I think the positives far out weigh the negatives. His crossing is excellent though. If we had himself and Gray on either side I would like to think even I would knock one in…

The problem I have with him in that "winger" position is that he doesn't get himself in the same positions to cross. 

IMO he is more of an attacking threat as a full back than as a winger.

(PS this assumes you were thinking of him as a winger, if not, ignore me 😂)

52 minutes ago, Bailey said:

The problem I have with him in that "winger" position is that he doesn't get himself in the same positions to cross. 

IMO he is more of an attacking threat as a full back than as a winger.

(PS this assumes you were thinking of him as a winger, if not, ignore me 😂)

I mean if he had to play winger I think he will be okay. Right now he is probably best suited in a 3 at the back ( which would affect Gray playing out wide ).

Hopefully he can iron out his defensive game and keep improving

Personally I don’t think he will make it with us he’s neither a good winger or defender, he lacks the ability to get to the goal line and put a decent cross in always seems to want to come infield which doesn’t suit what we are trying to achieve with the focus on Dom. As a defender he’s not a natural tackler he is constantly caught out of position against an average team in this league his weaknesses would be highlighted, has he got any pace? to be honest I haven’t noticed any. Some of his jinking runs coming in side with the ball do look pleasing on the eye but that’s more on a individual level and don’t really add anything to the dynamics of the team. 

9 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Not sure we should be wanting anyone to get to the goal line and then cross. It'd be much better for us if they just scored... :lol:.

Can’t argue with that, on a serious note to you think we will lack goals again this season from other area’s other than Dom and to a degree Richarlison. 

10 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Can’t argue with that, on a serious note to you think we will lack goals again this season from other area’s other than Dom and to a degree Richarlison. 

I do. We seem to be relying on Gray and Townsend to all of a sudden become consistent goal scorers to add to what we've got up top, which is very optimistic if you ask me.

Really hope we can bring in a couple of attacking options before the window closes, regardless of outgoings.