IGNORED

Josh King

2 minutes ago, c1982 said:

First choice left mid. That’s where he’s been playing in a Bournemouth 4-4-2. Constant threat to us on the final day but that’s not saying much.

If we’re talking about a massive upgrade on our midfield, I’d want better than him. 

2 minutes ago, BedfordBlue said:

Very average 

I actually think he’s decent - bit of a late developer. I think he’s come on a lot over the past few seasons. More suited to the left mid role that anyone we currently have. He wouldn’t be my first choice but is better than many of the wingers we currently have.

17 minutes ago, c1982 said:

This deal actually makes a lot of sense to me. DCL, Richarlison, Kean and King as 4 striking options but Richarlison and King would have the versatility to play as wingers. It would give us very good options and at a reasonable price so we can focus on more pressing issues e.g. central midfield and right back.

In that sense I agree, but that’s why I made my first post; would he come to play backup? 

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

In that sense I agree, but that’s why I made my first post; would he come to play backup? 

His versatility would probably mean that he’d start most games (with this current squad) - just not necessarily as a striker. Say we had signed him In January - he’d have started every game from left mid as he’s better suited to that position than Bernard and Iwobi in a 4-4-2.

Put in simple terms - we don’t really NEED a striker currently as we have 3 potentially top, top young strikers in Dom, Richarlison and Kean but if a more experienced striker who already knows the league and is better than what we have currently in other positions (left mid) at a relatively low fee then it’s a no brainier to me.

6 minutes ago, c1982 said:

His versatility would probably mean that he’d start most games (with this current squad) - just not necessarily as a striker. Say we had signed him In January - he’d have started every game from left mid as he’s better suited to that position than Bernard and Iwobi in a 4-4-2.

For £15m I think he’d be a good signing but I’m not convinced he’d come without being a guaranteed starter. Maybe he would’ve been had he joined in January but that’s more a reflection of poor form and not justification 

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

Always liked him, I'm just not sure he really fits into our system. Its another rumour where I think this isn't the position we need to strengthen right now.

He’s played in a 4-4-2 under Howe as a left mid or centre forward for the past however many years.

45 minutes ago, c1982 said:

He’s played in a 4-4-2 under Howe as a left mid or centre forward for the past however many years.

He has prodimantly played as the second striker, linking the midfield to attack whilst Wilson has been leading the line or at least he has when I have watched.

He has played some games from the left, like he did against us but against us he played more like a winger than a between the lines player. He must have been one of the most advanced players on the pitch. 

If I was going to bring him to Everton I would want him in the advanced positions. He defends like an attacker (ie crap) so you aren't going to get the best out of him if you stick him in one the wide roles we use where they are expected to do more than their fair share of defending. There is a big difference in that position between Howe and Ancelotti IMO.

I do think he would fit the second striker, advanced midfielder role or whatever you want to call it, but that is essentially Richarlison's position or if we play with an attacking midfielder it will be Siggurdson's position. Its also likely to be Gordon's best position and Iwobi's. Now we can all have our view on who we would prefer there but its a role that should be well down the priority list for me.

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

This for me too.  King would be a nice player to play across the front 3 and backup what we have.  He has goals in him.

King hasn't scored a single goal this season, bar a brace against Oldham in the FA Cup. 

I'll be honest I don't know know why everyone is so crazy about signing Josh - he's 28, so much older than I would like and was OK, if a bit forgettable at a Bournemouth side that was fighting relegation. 

Signing average players just creates more averageness, and is exactly what we don't want if we want to get into the Champions League and beyond - why waste the time on King when we could sign someone for half the price, who's half the age on the continent? Malik for example is two years younger?

@Formby is bang on IMO.

51 minutes ago, Bill said:

Moise would also be better than Tosun but for some reason he got shut and kept hold of Tosun.

The situation with Moise is fantastic for the club - if he stayed on our bench this season his value would plummet and we would get naff all for him when selling, now he's playing well at PSG his value is preserved if not increased and we have the high ground to decide his future on our terms.

Hes no loss to us this season as he didn't do anything for us last season. Honestly not fussed if he stays or gets sold - we get stronger either way

4 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

King hasn't scored a single goal this season, bar a brace against Oldham in the FA Cup. 

I'll be honest I don't know know why everyone is so crazy about signing Josh - he's 28, so much older than I would like and was OK, if a bit forgettable at a Bournemouth side that was fighting relegation. 

Signing average players just creates more averageness, and is exactly what we don't want if we want to get into the Champions League and beyond - why waste the time on King when we could sign someone for half the price, who's half the age on the continent? Malik for example is two years younger?

@Formby is bang on IMO.

Honestly can't see Milik coming here to play second fiddle to DCL. This is our problem now - we've become Spurs of the past 2-3 seasons with Kane. DCL is first choice and we have no real backup of quality if he's out for any reason and ayers will know they will only play in this situation. Its a player on the come down who is happy to get some game time or a player who has bee  relegated for any crack/chance to play in Prem still. I think King is a good bet for this back up role and prob knows he's not going to be 1st choice in  top 10 Prem team anymore

As I have said before, King is a very solid player. He is quick, strong, he can pass and create as well as find the back of the net. He might not have fared well this season (only 8 games) but he scored 6 and assisted 4 last season in 26 appearances, mainly playing wide in a side that got relegated. 

The concern I have with him now is whether he is on the way down rather than the way up.

I would rather have King over Cenk every day of the week though and he would fit right into the way we play. 

2 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

@Formby is bang on IMO.

Because he’s a backup.  No quality player will sign to sit behind DCL.  We aren’t Real Madrid.  Milik ain’t signing to sit on the bench.  You need role players and king has already played in the league and scored goals in this league.  He won’t need to adjust (milik could be a bust).  Sure king won’t be a worldie but we don’t need him to be.  We need a solid option off the bench and to spell injuries and cup matches. He can play across the front 3 which also increases his worth IMO