IGNORED

Brighton (Home) Saturday October 3rd

markjazzbassist

48 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Delph has just realised that actually Everton FC are worth playing for.

Exactly, not guaranteed to be in the matchday squad, let alone the the team due to the great signings we have made, added to the lack of anyone asking about his availability has lit a fire under him. 

Fair play to him he has responded in the right way on the pitch.

No Allan, Gomes, Kean, or Kenny.  Richarlison, uncertain.  Is Mina healthy enough?

Pickford

Coleman       Keane       Mina       Digne

Delph

James   Doucouré   Sigurdsson   Bernard

DCL

This 4-1-4-1 morphs into 4-2-3-1 sometimes, with either Doucouré or Sigurdsson moving back at times.  Hope we’re leading comfortably on 60-70 minutes, so James, Delph, and DCL can be replaced by Gordon, Davies, and Walcott or Iwobi.

Bench — Richarlison, Iwobi, Gordon, Davies, Walcott, Nkounkou

IMO, Brighton are on a par with Palace in terms of ability this season, but the styles are completely different. Whereas Palace are strong defensively and rely on the break, Brighton are more free flowing. This could be a high-scoring game. I'm nervous when I see some line-ups with a single striker: There need to be two. If Kean is leaving and not an option, even for the bench, then bring in our best young player (Simms?). Bernard would be a good option against Brighton, I think, but I'm concerned about losing Allan in midfield. Let's not suddenly get starry-eyed about Delph or Sigurdsson, even though one will have to play. My suggested lineup is rather radical, I confess, but I think it would work against Brighton. If there's any doubt at all about his fitness, rest Richarlison.

Pickford

Coleman Keane Digne Nkounkou

James Doucoure Delph Bernard

DC-L Simms

Bench: Mina, Gordon, Iwobi, Sigurdsson, Davies, Lossl

Personally I wouldn't change a system that has suited almost all of the players that have played in it. Especially given 442 worked terribly last season. 

I haven't seen anything to say Mina is out so I assume it will be the same back 4 (and Pickford). 

Delph will replace Allan and its a toss up between Siggy or Bernard for the Gomes spot. 

If Richarlison can't play then it will be Iwobi to stake a claim.

Easy.

Pickford

Coleman Keane Mina Digne

Doucoure Delph Siggy 

James DCL Richy

Thought Neils did well last time out and I'd prefer Digne at CB to Mina especially against a team that pose such little threat in the air, however Brightons biggest threat will be Trossard down the right wing, so I'd prefer Digne to operate at LB as i believe he has a better chance at nullifying that threat. It wouldn't surprise me if Carlo put James into the centre where he might be more effective this game and more of a pacey winger on the right.

Having Allan out for this game worries me so hopefully Delph can rise to the occasion. 

Not sure about leaving gomes out of this one after not playing against west ham. Id be going with a 4-3-3.

Pickford

Coleman      Keane          Mina      Digne

Gomes        Delph      Doucoure

James                  DCL           Richarlison

41 minutes ago, Btay said:

Not sure about leaving gomes out of this one after not playing against west ham. Id be going with a 4-3-3.

Pickford

Coleman      Keane          Mina      Digne

Gomes        Delph      Doucoure

James                  DCL           Richarlison

Gomes has been ruled out by Carlo. 

53 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Do we play a 433 or 4231 I get that basically they are the same thing, but interested to hear what people think

We’ve been playing a 433 but on the pitch with Allan playing a deeper holding role, it’s more like a 4123.

But I think you can get caught up in the semantics of the formation to much, for me you firstly focus on your defence and the introduction of Allan as an organiser and protector has made our defence look quite solid. 
Then you have your central striker and mids with the 2 wide men, but for me when you’re defence is sound the rest is interchangeable the 5 in front of Allan can play with more freedom move positions and formations it becomes more free flowing, and keeps your opponent’s guessing, well that’s how I see it. 

I’m nervous also about this one having also watched the Brighton Man U game last week. They’re a much better side than the credit they get in the media. They lack composure in front of goal but they’re stats are impressive. I think there will be goals.