IGNORED

Ben Godfrey

38 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

was he playing regularly for them?  because they were getting blitzed week in and out, how can he be so good?

Because he’s only one of 11 players on the field of that side?

Also, it’s not like we haven’t found a bit of quality from relegated teams recently either. McCarthy, Gana and (hopefully) Doucoure all spring to mind. 

interesting one this.

I see Holgate and Keane as our first choice pairing when fit and happy with Mina as backup, clearly we need a 4th centre back but would have expected a loan or a backup type player to come in.

Would be interesting to see who Carlo would see as his first choice after signing Godfrey.

I felt Holgate really came on well last season and is also very good on the ball so would like to see him continue, Keane has improved a lot and has looked a lot more dependable.  Mina has been ok though I still wouldn't be happy if he was long term first choice.

With 30 premiership games last season he's not majorly inexperienced but I'd image would have to fight to get a start initially.

On 28/09/2020 at 14:16, Vranny said:

Because he’s only one of 11 players on the field of that side?

Also, it’s not like we haven’t found a bit of quality from relegated teams recently either. McCarthy, Gana and (hopefully) Doucoure all spring to mind. 

Maybe not from a relegated team but - TINY TIM THE BLUE KANGAROO. As if anyone could have ever predicted how good he would be coming from Millwall. If Godfrey was half Tims quality (but in defence) we'd be onto a winner

23 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

if this is gonna happen i hope it's for 15m with add ons getting to 25m.  i don't want to pay 25m for this guy.  

I would rather pay less than more but if he's a £25m player I'm happy to pay £25m - we need quality centre halves in. 

From my research he's a strong, quick centre half who can play from the back.  6ft 0 so he's not tall.

My mate is a big york fan, he said he was in midfield for them at 18 but looks the business as a converted centre half. Norwich stand out player last year.v

Just now, Matt said:

£20m for a young defender with PL experience isn’t that bad. Maybe we can send Besic or someone the other way too. 

SSN saying the bid was rejected in any case

Rejected bid.... Hmmm.  Clearly value him higher, not in a position to play hardball I don't think unless they are expecting other clubs to get involved 

Around the top half only spurs or United need centre halves and not sure they would go young. 

7 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Rejected bid.... Hmmm.  Clearly value him higher, not in a position to play hardball I don't think unless they are expecting other clubs to get involved 

Around the top half only spurs or United need centre halves and not sure they would go young. 

I think it’ll be a last minute deal unless Keane or Mina get injured at the weekend or international duty, and we then have to pay over the odds (depending on the injury). I imagine we’ll just wait it out until TDD, they’re not in a position to push us unless he’s not interested in moving at the moment. 

Just now, Matt said:

I think it’ll be a last minute deal unless Keane or Mina get injured at the weekend or international duty, and we then have to pay over the odds (depending on the injury). I imagine we’ll just wait it out until TDD, they’re not in a position to push us unless he’s not interested in moving at the moment. 

He's pushing for the move by all accounts... Carlos revolution

Just reading through a Norwich forum about him. They like him but they class him as the most replaceable player of the ones that you would expect to leave. The talk is he is rapid (and looks it in the video), with good feet and technique. He is talked about as having poor concentration. The video certainly makes him look competent, which in this league and for that team is a compliment.

7 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Just reading through a Norwich forum about him. They like him but they class him as the most replaceable player of the ones that you would expect to leave. The talk is he is rapid (and looks it in the video), with good feet and technique. He is talked about as having poor concentration. The video certainly makes him look competent, which in this league and for that team is a compliment.

Without sounding disrespectful, it's probably easy to come across as lacking concentration when you're part of a Norwich defence that was stream-rollered most weekends last season. I'd expect him to be much different in a more stable defence, with the likes of Michael Keane alongside who can guide him (with experienced heads in Seamus and Lucas on the wings too). 

If that's his only weak point, I wouldn't be too worried. Concentration can be taught, speed/understanding cannot. 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Rather we bring in an older player. Our the centre backs are young and would benefit from an experienced head next to them even if only in training.

I agree and I’m not bothered at the same time. 26 and 27 is prime/coming to prime ages for Mina and Keane. Plus we’ve got two talented younger players. But I can’t think of an older CB that would come in knowing they’d end up being backup quite quickly. But I agree that experience would be very valuable in the back line. 

When it comes to our defense I'd rather pace and athleticism than experience. Keane seems to be the mature head this season he's really stepped up his game. Paired with someone who is capable of covering him with blistering pace means we can push higher up the pitch. The last thing we need right now is another Williams. As for Godfrey I'm not so sure about him, I can't recall seeing him play much or standing out when we have played against him. There seems to be a shortage of decent centre halves at the minute so if he turns good this could be a real shrewd signing. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I agree and I’m not bothered at the same time. 26 and 27 is prime/coming to prime ages for Mina and Keane. Plus we’ve got two talented younger players. But I can’t think of an older CB that would come in knowing they’d end up being backup quite quickly. But I agree that experience would be very valuable in the back line. 

gibson is being loaned out,  so we only have 3CB.  we need another.

2 hours ago, Aidan said:

When it comes to our defense I'd rather pace and athleticism than experience. Keane seems to be the mature head this season he's really stepped up his game. Paired with someone who is capable of covering him with blistering pace means we can push higher up the pitch. The last thing we need right now is another Williams. As for Godfrey I'm not so sure about him, I can't recall seeing him play much or standing out when we have played against him. There seems to be a shortage of decent centre halves at the minute so if he turns good this could be a real shrewd signing. 

This 👆🏻👆🏻👆🏻

I'd also much prefer someone young, like Holgate will benefit from the likes of Keane & even Holgates recent experience, who's fast as fcuk. Speed in our league is priority, T.Silva doesn't look all that IMO, he's 36. I defo fancy Richys chances against him that's for sure. Gimme a young, talented CB, not sure its Godfrey, but I like the idea of him. But we can't trust those bloody YouTube clips they made Ranirez look good 4FS, I'd probably be able to compile a decent 30 seconds of myself. Eeeerm maybe not lol. 

3 hours ago, Aidan said:

Pace and athleticism is completely undermined if you don’t know what’s going on though. Which would mean getting another CB in their prime. It’s a bit of a conundrum this, because Holgate should get his place back. Maybe a loan is best, with option to buy. But then the question is who?