IGNORED

Ben Godfrey

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

Pace and athleticism is completely undermined if you don’t know what’s going on though. Which would mean getting another CB in their prime. It’s a bit of a conundrum this, because Holgate should get his place back. Maybe a loan is best, with option to buy. But then the question is who?

Yeah agreed mate. A loan with an option to buy would be okay but realistically we need 4 options at CB full time eventually. 

Happy about this. Has a good feel about it. English, good athlete, technically good.  

Good English centre halves are as rare as rocking horse shit, in fact top level centre halves are - period.   

He can play DM and according to Norwich fans they don't know his best position because of his attributes.  One lad who speaks well said they can't reject that sort of money for a player they could replace within the squad, it may be tougher to replace Arron's

1 hour ago, c1982 said:

Read a couple of bits saying they expect him to eventually play as a defensive midfielder. Good age, athletic and versatile - ticks a few boxes for me... biggest tick is that it sounds like Ancelotti is pushing this one.

Personally I don't like that happening. A defender should be known for his defending, not being able to play in midfield. If they think about playing him in midfield its because they think he has a weakness at the back, a bit like some do with Stones. 

No-one looks at Laporte or VVD and thinks, ooh wouldn’t they be great at centre mid. 

According to the Norwich fans they believe him to be a central defender who can play in midfield if needed, much like Holgate. But his best position is as a centre back.

They think he is a real player and are sorry to see him go, but knew he would move on and that the money will help them. As an aside they think he is a good guy, very professional, team player. I think he will be a very good fit. Excited about him signing for us.

2 hours ago, c1982 said:

Read a couple of bits saying they expect him to eventually play as a defensive midfielder. Good age, athletic and versatile - ticks a few boxes for me... biggest tick is that it sounds like Ancelotti is pushing this one.

Was just thinking about this. If Allan is out or needs a rest Holgate or Godfrey could slot in there until Gbamin is injured. Surly better at that role than Delph. 

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

Was just thinking about this. If Allan is out or needs a rest Holgate or Godfrey could slot in there until Gbamin is injured. Surly better at that role than Delph. 

Surprised I’m able to say this but Delph did well in midweek and has the experience that we need in that position to cover for Allen when required. 

5 minutes ago, barryj said:

Surprised I’m able to say this but Delph did well in midweek and has the experience that we need in that position to cover for Allen when required. 

Not so sure how he'd do if he were expected to play that role without Allan in midfield with him. I don't trust him enough. 

2 hours ago, Aidan said:

Holgate looked ok (really nothing more than that) in midfield because our midfield was utter, utter shite. You put him there now and you’d see that he’s not a real option for a midfield slot. 

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

Personally I don't like that happening. A defender should be known for his defending, not being able to play in midfield. If they think about playing him in midfield its because they think he has a weakness at the back, a bit like some do with Stones. 

No-one looks at Laporte or VVD and thinks, ooh wouldn’t they be great at centre mid. 

I think the point is he started as a midfielder and with his attributes he is  able to play there to a high level despite having spent his recent development as a centre half.  Many norwich fans and pundits think he could be a top class DM. He was outstanding for Shrewsbury as a DM and York. 

Mattheus, Desailly, Mascherano ... 3 players who could do either role and it's not an indication that they were lacking in the other area. 

I think having a player who is a centre half but can play as a DM is a huge plus.  Look at us now Allan is injured, it's Delph or Davies.  

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I think the point is he started as a midfielder and with his attributes he is  able to play there to a high level despite having spent his recent development as a centre half.  Many norwich fans and pundits think he could be a top class DM. He was outstanding for Shrewsbury as a DM and York. 

Mattheus, Desailly, Mascherano ... 3 players who could do either role and it's not an indication that they were lacking in the other area. 

I think having a player who is a centre half but can play as a DM is a huge plus.  Look at us now Allan is injured, it's Delph or Davies.  

If Holgate wasn’t injured it could quite easily be him he has played a handful of games for us in that position and shone. At this moment in time with what’s available to us I would play Doucoure there with either 2 from these 3 in front of him Gomes Delph or  Gylfi. 
Some would argue that it would stifle Doucoure’s game I wouldn’t, it’s a team game and for me Allan has proved how vital the role he plays for the team is, and for me Doucoure would be the best person in our squad to fill that pivotal role, if you put Delph there we concede goals and the midfield goes to rats shit as in previous seasons. 

8 hours ago, Bailey said:

Many said it about Rio Ferdinand though - didn’t see too many weaknesses there. Maybe he’s just a very good player who is comfortable in more than one position. I’ll trust Carlo’s judgement on this.

...also, pretty sure van Dijk played a lot of his early football as a centre mid.

Just now, Aidan said:

I think godfrey is though, has played there quite a lot. 

You mentioned Holgate could slot in there, so I was responding to that bit.

I don't have an opinion on Godfrey because I know next to nothing about him as a player now, nevermind what he did coming through. He seems like someone that Brands, and especially Carlo want, so that's enough for me.

Didn't see this coming, not really heard of Godfrey. Its a bit of a worry us paying ~ £30m as a covid price for him. From what I'm seeing across the web there seems to be the general feedback that he can pass and play with the ball but his defending needs some work. I'm not sure this is the type of CB we need or should be spending £30m on as a potential. I'd like to think I'll be wrong but I see him as just a squad filler.

11 minutes ago, Cisk said:

Didn't see this coming, not really heard of Godfrey. Its a bit of a worry us paying ~ £30m as a covid price for him. From what I'm seeing across the web there seems to be the general feedback that he can pass and play with the ball but his defending needs some work. I'm not sure this is the type of CB we need or should be spending £30m on as a potential. I'd like to think I'll be wrong but I see him as just a squad filler.

Liverpool have just sold Rhian Brewster for £20m+ with a buy back option (how is that I don't know?!).

I think this fee is about right for a young English talent with premier league experience.  

If we wanted to sell holgate we could get £30m at least. 

I like the blend of attributes that he's got.  Didn't know a thing about him but do a bit now.  El pivote - Andy on toffee TV reckons it's a very good signing. 

Godfrey was mentioned in couple of the 'players to buy from relegated teams' articles that did the rounds at the end of the season. So obviously has been a standout player.

I didn't take much notice really as I was more worried about our midfield at the time. I can't say I know much about him personally. At 22 he is very young so is by no way the finished article yet, has pace, very good on the ball and can defend - he has very good defending stats. ( although he would have been a busy boy in the Norwich team last year)

Brands/ancelotti combo has been pretty good so far, so pretty happy with this one. 

21 hours ago, Cisk said:

Makes you wonder what happened to Gabriel - we seemed to have the money to get him, perhaps he did not fancy us as much (unless it was wages driven)

Obviously it's because he didn't want to play for us. Carlo pretty much alluded to it when he spoke about the three signings we had made and said they all wanted to sign for us and that was important.

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

You mentioned Holgate could slot in there, so I was responding to that bit.

I don't have an opinion on Godfrey because I know next to nothing about him as a player now, nevermind what he did coming through. He seems like someone that Brands, and especially Carlo want, so that's enough for me.

Holgate looked comfortable there under Dunc. It's not ideal but certainly an option.