IGNORED

Ben Godfrey

54 minutes ago, Bailey said:

All I will say is that I can't wait for him to prove me wrong as it would be great to have someone who can start in a league winning side at CB and DM. 

I don’t get all this focus on whether he can play DM. We don’t need a defensive midfielder, particularly once Gbamin comes back. He’s clearly being brought in as a CB. If he is versatile enough to play elsewhere then that’s great but that would be a bonus.

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Don’t think anyone is focusing on that. It was just mentioned that he is good at both positions that’s all. 
Then it went into some weird argument where people were trying f to prove that it’s not possible, or is haha.

Shut up Shukes!! What do you know?! 😂

Just hope this lad is good, that’s all. Leave the rest to Carlo. 

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

Don’t think anyone is focusing on that. It was just mentioned that he is good at both positions that’s all. 
Then it went into some weird argument where people were trying f to prove that it’s not possible, or is haha.

I thought it was an important point 😆

BREAKING NEWS

Ben Godfrey has signed for Everton from Norwich City for £20m, penning a five-year deal until the end of June 2025.

The 22-year-old central defender, broadly regarded as one of England’s brightest prospects, captained England Under-21s on his full debut in September 2019 and was an integral part of Norwich’s Championship title-winning campaign in 2018/19.

"Ben Godfrey's £25m move to Everton from Norwich is money well spent, according to data analysts Carteret.

The London-based company advises some Premier League clubs on investment and transfer targets, and uses data from players' performances to work out how much a player is worth to an iindividual club.

They say Godfrey, 22, has an Intrinsic Value of £41.29m to Everton, so a big hike on their investment."

28 minutes ago, Btay said:

That’s a potential gap in our squad filled nicely. Looking forward to seeing him in action!

Me too. Nice to have some proper competition. Keane and Mina have played really well lately. Now Holgate and Godfrey will be pushing to take their places. 

Get Branthwaite out on loan somewhere? 

36 minutes ago, StevO said:

Get Branthwaite out on loan somewhere? 

With the loan market open beyond tonight for lowerleague clubs it wouldn't surprise me at all if he goes out once his injury has cleared up - with the four players we now have at centre-back he's going to get the last few minutes at best now, which isn't ideal for his development. 

A season in the Championship, or even the Bundesliga like Kenny did would be a really good option. 

I can't believe that nowhere in these articles does it say he is equally good in midfield... I am very disappointed :)

Joking aside, I look forward to him giving the other two something to think about. The only two places we don't have really healthy competition at the moment is in goal and up front. Who would have thought that when the only competition we had was having a dozen number 10's on the books.

24 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I can't believe that nowhere in these articles does it say he is equally good in midfield... I am very disappointed :)

Joking aside, I look forward to him giving the other two something to think about. The only two places we don't have really healthy competition at the moment is in goal and up front. Who would have thought that when the only competition we had was having a dozen number 10's on the books.

"Look at many world-class centre backs, they nearly all started in central midfield," he said. "Gerard Piqué in Spain, Mats Hummels and Jerome Boateng in Germany, even in England with Rio Ferdinand at the very start.

"I have the feeling when he gets used to this position and can have more games to learn the decision-making in the last row because it is different, he has all the ingredients to be an outstanding centre-back, world-class.

"He can have a great, great career. Maybe in the holding midfielder he can be a good Championship player, maybe higher, but I see him in training and in the cup games and pre-season and I see his mid to long term future in that position [centre-back]."

4 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

He’s just 6 foot I believe  but looks very physically fit and strong. Can be classed as an “athlete”. 

Didn’t mean height-wise, meant more that he’s a unit. Jumping against him will be hard work when there’s that much bulk pushing into you whilst going for the arial ball

6 hours ago, Hafnia said:

"Look at many world-class centre backs, they nearly all started in central midfield," he said. "Gerard Piqué in Spain, Mats Hummels and Jerome Boateng in Germany, even in England with Rio Ferdinand at the very start.

"I have the feeling when he gets used to this position and can have more games to learn the decision-making in the last row because it is different, he has all the ingredients to be an outstanding centre-back, world-class.

"He can have a great, great career. Maybe in the holding midfielder he can be a good Championship player, maybe higher, but I see him in training and in the cup games and pre-season and I see his mid to long term future in that position [centre-back]."

At least that's sorted then. He could be a world class centre back but only a Championship midfielder. Who would have thought.

42 minutes ago, Bailey said:

At least that's sorted then. He could be a world class centre back but only a Championship midfielder. Who would have thought.

Baseball is similar where a player might be a good defensive second baseman but below average at shortstop which is a more demanding position.