IGNORED

Ben Godfrey

He’s been very impressive on the left, which confuses the life out of me because he was awful at RB. Seems further away from Mina’s antics the better. 

Can’t wait for him and Holgate to get a run of games together. That’s not a reflection on Keane by the way, he’s been mostly excellent, but Godfrey and Holgate could be a long term excellent CB pairing 

3 hours ago, Matt said:

He’s been very impressive on the left, which confuses the life out of me because he was awful at RB. Seems further away from Mina’s antics the better. 

Can’t wait for him and Holgate to get a run of games together. That’s not a reflection on Keane by the way, he’s been mostly excellent, but Godfrey and Holgate could be a long term excellent CB pairing 

I don't think it has anything to do with Mina.

I just think it was more about him settling in and him not having as much responsibility going forward. He is enjoying not having to really become too involved in our attacking play and as a result he is in a good position to defend rather than recovering from an attack.

He has all the physical attributes to become a really good centre half but it is all about what goes on between his ears. Even against decent sides he has had a relatively easy time of it in the last two games. Lets hope he can continue this form when he is asked to take on more responsibility by playing at centre back or when he is expected to contribute more to attacks from the full back position.

2 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I don't think it has anything to do with Mina.

I just think it was more about him settling in and him not having as much responsibility going forward. He is enjoying not having to really become too involved in our attacking play and as a result he is in a good position to defend rather than recovering from an attack.

He has all the physical attributes to become a really good centre half but it is all about what goes on between his ears. Even against decent sides he has had a relatively easy time of it in the last two games. Lets hope he can continue this form when he is asked to take on more responsibility by playing at centre back or when he is expected to contribute more to attacks from the full back position.

You don’t think being partnered with a native English speaker who isn’t massively unpredictable is helping?

1 minute ago, Matt said:

You don’t think being partnered with a native English speaker who isn’t massively unpredictable is helping?

I think that his poor performances before have nothing to do with whether he was playing alongside Mina. It's not Mina's fault he has got himself out of position and either going into challenges he shouldn't or not closing down when he should.

It isn't like it helped him in the Leeds game when Mina didn't play.

I just think the lad is a top top quality player in the making.  Very much a David Moyes type signing from when he really had it nailed.  Has a lescott/jags feel about him, seems to be ultra tuned in and a fast learner. 

Great athlete, strength and pace.  Let's be honest - there are 3 players who have massively improved under carlo, DCL, Iwobi and this lad looks like he is week on week. 

Another strong performance yesterday. With Keane having started every match this season and looking more like the player we spent £30 million on, Holgate continuing to improve and looking more and more like future captain, and Godfrey's development, I'd say it's time to move on from Big Mina. He's turned in the odd great performance, and occasional goals like yesterday, but like Pickford he has at least one gaffe per game in him. 

Anyways, back to Godfrey. Do we think Carlo trusts him enough to give him starts at CB over Keane, Mina, Holgate once Digne returns?

5 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Another strong performance yesterday. With Keane having started every match this season and looking more like the player we spent £30 million on, Holgate continuing to improve and looking more and more like future captain, and Godfrey's development, I'd say it's time to move on from Big Mina. He's turned in the odd great performance, and occasional goals like yesterday, but like Pickford he has at least one gaffe per game in him. 

Anyways, back to Godfrey. Do we think Carlo trusts him enough to give him starts at CB over Keane, Mina, Holgate once Digne returns?

I’m not sure I think Carlo is a manager who takes a lot of stock in experience, and may question that against Keane and Mina at this point in time. 

Keane has been one our most consistent player this season, so he is not going to be easy for either Holgate or Godfey this season to oust him, he is only 28 in January, so easily 4-5 years at his peak. James like assist earlier this season, regular gets a goal, nice shot at the weekend - I would like to see Keane break in to midfield a little more often. 

Assuming Keane will be keeping his spot and Mina may be drop - who gets the call to play alongside Keane? Holgate or Godfrey?  

Great future for us at CB whichever way you look at it. 

4 hours ago, RuffRob said:

Keane has been one our most consistent player this season, so he is not going to be easy for either Holgate or Godfey this season to oust him, he is only 28 in January, so easily 4-5 years at his peak. James like assist earlier this season, regular gets a goal, nice shot at the weekend - I would like to see Keane break in to midfield a little more often. 

Assuming Keane will be keeping his spot and Mina may be drop - who gets the call to play alongside Keane? Holgate or Godfrey?  

Simple.

3 at the back

@Romey 1878

On 21/12/2020 at 00:41, RuffRob said:

Based on the last few games Godfrey has leapfrogged Holgate, and I would say it was by a bit of a distance. Holgate has been poor since he has come back from injury and could probably do with a run of games, however Godfrey has so far been at his best as a left back as opposed to a 3rd centre back or right back.

Lets not forget Keane had a dodgy spell as well earlier in the season so I would say both spots are up for grabs for any one of the CB's that can find some consistency.

3 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Looks like a Gareth Barry type player doesn't he....  Centre mid centre half and full back with a shed load of pace. 

Don’t want to see him anywhere near the midfield. The money we’ve spent on midfielders the last few years, we shouldn’t have to. 

Hope to see him and Holgate at centre back against Rotherham in the cup. 

5 minutes ago, StevO said:

Don’t want to see him anywhere near the midfield. The money we’ve spent on midfielders the last few years, we shouldn’t have to. 

Hope to see him and Holgate at centre back against Rotherham in the cup. 

Shouldn't have to doesn't mean it won't be necessary... Especially when you are limited by injuries to key players and your back up is Delph, Gomes and Davies.

I actually think he'd make a tremendous DM, he has proven he can move with the ball.  Better to have options. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Shouldn't have to doesn't mean it won't be necessary... Especially when you are limited by injuries to key players and your back up is Delph, Gomes and Davies.

I actually think he'd make a tremendous DM, he has proven he can move with the ball.  Better to have options. 

I’d still pick Gomes and Davies before Godfrey, would be absolutely ridiculous to have them fit and available and play Godfrey in midfield. Delph is never fit and available so he doesn’t matter. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

I’d still pick Gomes and Davies before Godfrey, would be absolutely ridiculous to have them fit and available and play Godfrey in midfield. Delph is never fit and available so he doesn’t matter. 

It would not surprise me if Godfrey would be needed in midfield, it also would not surprise me to see him excel in there.

1 hour ago, StevO said:

If Godfrey is needed in midfield Marcel Brands hasn’t done his job. 

Allan and Doucoure are our only two feature midfielders.... The 3rd spot is a toss up between Siggy or Gomes, with Davies as stand in..... All of which have not be consistent in any stretch of the imagination.  

That's 5 viable midfielders for 3 spots.  

So unless you think Delph is an option then Godfrey and Holgate will be likely stand ins.  It's not outrageous to suggest at all.

I don’t really think Godfrey is silky on the ball in the same way Holgate or stones are/were. He can carry it out nicely, his pace will get him out of trouble or through into space.

Playing as a fullback myself it was a nightmare to switch sides which is why I’m even more impressed with him as CB playing on his wrong foot. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Allan and Doucoure are our only two feature midfielders.... The 3rd spot is a toss up between Siggy or Gomes, with Davies as stand in..... All of which have not be consistent in any stretch of the imagination.  

That's 5 viable midfielders for 3 spots.  

So unless you think Delph is an option then Godfrey and Holgate will be likely stand ins.  It's not outrageous to suggest at all.

I don’t think it would be either we witnessed Holgate playing and shining in the MF a few seasons ago, and Godfrey has proved to be very versatile playing in 3 positions so far and excelling as a LB which would not have been expected so why not in MF if the occasion arose. 

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Not sure why you’d think that. If Godfrey has to play in midfield, it’ll be because a lot of players are injured or suspended so nothing to do with Brands at all

Because the only way I see that situation happening is if we don’t have enough midfielders in the squad. As it’s his job to build the squad I’d be asking questions. But I think we have enough of a squad to not be in that position I don’t think we’ll need to worry about it.