IGNORED

Robin Olsen

10 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

After this positive transfer market why would Brands and Co get it wrong with Olsen?

not sure what you mean by this? why is it wrong?

after another Pickford howler at the weekend, Brands and Co are after a loan keeper to put a little more pressure on him and to at least have a plan B if his poor form continues , Man U an Spur wouldn't loan us their 3rd keepers (apparently Man U wanted £10M for Romero!!). Nobody is going to sell there 1st/2nd keeper in the final few days of a transfer window so Olsen probably as good as your going to get as short term cover. I am sure another keeper will be high on the radar over the next 12 months.

Just now, RuffRob said:

after another Pickford howler at the weekend, Brands and Co are after a loan keeper to put a little more pressure on him and to at least have a plan B if his poor form continues , Man U an Spur wouldn't loan us their 3rd keepers (apparently Man U wanted £10M for Romero!!). Nobody is going to sell there 1st/2nd keeper in the final few days of a transfer window so Olsen probably as good as your going to get as short term cover. I am sure another keeper will be high on the radar over the next 12 months.

I'm pretty certain he's saying the opposite of how it's been taken, he just worded it wrong. I reckon he means they haven't got anything wrong so far so there's no reason to think Olsen is the wrong signing.

I could have that completely fucked up though!

9 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

The Roma fans reaction is a bit concerning, seems like we’ve brought in a keeper low on confidence to challenge a keeper also low on confidence !

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/10/06/some-roma-fans-react-as-robin-olsen-joins-everton/

We’ve brought plenty of players low on confidence who have thrived. Don’t care how they did for their previous club, especially as we’ve got Carlo and a positive squad now. 

• Trevor Steven
  •  
  • RuffRob
  • Members
  • 1,247 posts
  14 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

After this positive transfer market why would Brands and Co get it wrong with Olsen?

As Romey said I meant that with all the great signings in the window, it wasn't wrong. Late when i posted could have worded better!!

1 hour ago, MC11 said:

This feels like a direct replacement for Stekelenberg to me. Nothing more and nothing less. 

We've got lossl and Virginia.... I think he's more than a stek replacement.  We were trying to get Romero.... We weren't getting him to replace Stek on £60k + a week. 

Pickford has cost us 4 goals already.  This is drastic Measures. 

There are a few things I will say on this.

1. People's views on keepers can be massively skewed. Some fans expect the world, some see an easy save as a world class one and there is lots of interpretation as to what is or isn't an error so without seeing him in the flesh and making your own opinion, I wouldn't particularly judge him on what other fans say.

2. In the videos I have watched he looks a solid keeper. Nothing special, but one who gets himself in the position to make the save more often than not. I don't expect him to be pulling balls out of the top corner or single-handedly winning us games but he looks to be someone that will make the saves a decent keeper should.

3. Its hard to tell but I do get the impression he is a 6 yard box keeper in that he doesn't like coming too far off his line. Despite his size I therefore suspect he probably isn't going to be coming out and claiming loads of balls, sweeping up behind the back 4 and nor is he going to be that great with his feet. Given how we play, that could be a bit of an issue, especially when we are playing a high line with our slower centre backs.

Without meaning to be a pun, he might just be the safe pair of hands we need at the moment. Solid but not spectacular.

5 minutes ago, Bailey said:

There are a few things I will say on this.

1. People's views on keepers can be massively skewed. Some fans expect the world, some see an easy save as a world class one and there is lots of interpretation as to what is or isn't an error so without seeing him in the flesh and making your own opinion, I wouldn't particularly judge him on what other fans say.

2. In the videos I have watched he looks a solid keeper. Nothing special, but one who gets himself in the position to make the save more often than not. I don't expect him to be pulling balls out of the top corner or single-handedly winning us games but he looks to be someone that will make the saves a decent keeper should.

3. Its hard to tell but I do get the impression he is a 6 yard box keeper in that he doesn't like coming too far off his line. Despite his size I therefore suspect he probably isn't going to be coming out and claiming loads of balls, sweeping up behind the back 4 and nor is he going to be that great with his feet. Given how we play, that could be a bit of an issue, especially when we are playing a high line with our slower centre backs.

Without meaning to be a pun, he might just be the safe pair of hands we need at the moment. Solid but not spectacular.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/royalbluemersey.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2020/10/5/21502812/everton-transfer-rumours-robin-olsen-roma-goalkeeper-loan-pickford-challenger-deadline-day-latest

He was out of favour at Roma and low on confidence when he did this against Spain. (That second save, he sees it so late and still manages to get his entire body down) 

he is not one of the best keepers in the world, im not saying that, but he is a hard worker and a good shot stopper.

6 minutes ago, Peter H said:

A great world cup in a struggling Sweden.  Again, look at his ability to get down quickly. He is comfortable one on one. I might be over estimating him but I know most of you are under estimating him 

I'm looking at the positives, great stature 

2 hours ago, pete0 said:

Don't get the excitement. He's had one season at a decent level and was loaned out after it. If we were bringing in a keeper to replace Pickford it'd be a first choice elsewhere.

We aren’t bringing him in to replace Pickford though, in my opinion. We are bringing him in to offer an upgrade to Lossl and more serious competition for Jordan  while we look for real high quality options that will in fact replace Pickford if he doesn’t improve significantly. This is a stop gap. 

55 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

We aren’t bringing him in to replace Pickford though, in my opinion. We are bringing him in to offer an upgrade to Lossl and more serious competition for Jordan  while we look for real high quality options that will in fact replace Pickford if he doesn’t improve significantly. This is a stop gap. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54429284

Rob Green seems to think along similar lines. Bit of healthy competition can go a long way. 

On 06/10/2020 at 08:06, MC11 said:

This feels like a direct replacement for Stekelenberg to me. Nothing more and nothing less. 

Whether that’s true or not is not really the question for me. Just the act of bringing in a keeper and Pickford knowing it’s a reaction to his form is enough. It’s the last warning. Work hard, focus on your job, improve or this is gonna be your last season as our #1. The carrot is Carlo speaking about him with some level of confidence to the media. The stick is signing a keeper when we hadn’t planned to previously. Jordan’s real competition isn’t Olsen, it’s next summers transfer window and every keeper we might be in for then. 

Surely Pickford is smart enough to have seen how Carlo and Brands have dealt with our under performing midfield. Ruthless and efficient transfers that have made our weakest department our strongest. 

In terms of of starting 11, we are looking strong everywhere but GK. He needs to respond or Carlo and Brands will strengthen.