IGNORED

Robin Olsen

Well the debate has gone from:- he's good enough cos he's not getting dropped from England, Carlo isn't signing a new keeper of looking to stop him.

To:-  Carlo tries to sign 2 keepers and goes for a Roma back up on loan and Pickford gets dropped from England.

Hopefully Pickford does respond the right way and find done form. This has been a long time coming. Hopefully they make sure he's ok too. 

3 hours ago, Btay said:

Surely Pickford is smart enough to have seen how Carlo and Brands have dealt with our under performing midfield. Ruthless and efficient transfers that have made our weakest department our strongest. 

In terms of of starting 11, we are looking strong everywhere but GK. He needs to respond or Carlo and Brands will strengthen.

this all day long.  Carlo doesn't suffer fools, he will be gone if he doesn't shape up, he's got this season to prove himself.  i wouldn't be surprised if come the new year Olson is the regular starter.  you heard it here first.

“We know that Jordan has made errors,” Southgate said. “Nick actually made errors at the weekend. I always go back to the fact Jordan’s performances for us have been excellent. I am not oblivious to his performance at Everton but there can be lots of factors within

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/07/a-moral-maze-gareth-southgate-tells-young-england-players-the-party-is-over

6 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Well the debate has gone from:- he's good enough cos he's not getting dropped from England, Carlo isn't signing a new keeper of looking to stop him.

To:-  Carlo tries to sign 2 keepers and goes for a Roma back up on loan and Pickford gets dropped from England.

Hopefully Pickford does respond the right way and find done form. This has been a long time coming. Hopefully they make sure he's ok too. 

I just don’t know if he has the mental tools for it. He’s 26, an adult and acts like a lad still. Look at how DCL conducts himself, even when he was 21. You’d expect DCL to be the 26 year old international and Pickford to be the rash young kid who could be excused for not maturing.

2 hours ago, Btay said:

I just don’t know if he has the mental tools for it. He’s 26, an adult and acts like a lad still. Look at how DCL conducts himself, even when he was 21. You’d expect DCL to be the 26 year old international and Pickford to be the rash young kid who could be excused for not maturing.

Goalkeeping is like golf.  You can have all the talent in the world but the 6 inches between the ears is the deal-breaker

19 hours ago, Bailey said:

For the people who think Olson is only here as back up and not a real contender, how many games will Carlo leave Pickford in for if he plays like he did at Brighton? 

He must seriously be testing Carlo's patience already?

For me the argument isn't whether Pickford will be dropped, as I'm sure he will be but whether Olsen is a suitable improvement to do the job if Jordan can't. 

IMO, a goalkeepers bread and butter is to be a shot stopper, so I don't buy into nor get excited about people saying that a goalkeeper is better or worse than another because they're "good shot stoppers". If they aren't good shot stoppers then they shouldn't be playing professional football and if they are, should have something extra to their game to make them special (i.e - Footwork, Aerial Ability, Leadership). 

Despite what I've said in the past about Robin, he's an Everton player now so I'll cheer him on and back him as much as the next guy in blue, I'll admit that the fact that he's 6'5 makes me hope that he will be a dominant presence in-between the sticks, but time will tell whether he gets that opportunity. 

5 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

For me the argument isn't whether Pickford will be dropped, as I'm sure he will be but whether Olsen is a suitable improvement to do the job if Jordan can't. 

IMO, a goalkeepers bread and butter is to be a shot stopper, so I don't buy into nor get excited about people saying that a goalkeeper is better or worse than another because they're "good shot stoppers". If they aren't good shot stoppers then they shouldn't be playing professional football and if they are, should have something extra to their game to make them special (i.e - Footwork, Aerial Ability, Leadership). 

Despite what I've said in the past about Robin, he's an Everton player now so I'll cheer him on and back him as much as the next guy in blue, I'll admit that the fact that he's 6'5 makes me hope that he will be a dominant presence in-between the sticks, but time will tell whether he gets that opportunity. 

100% agree mate. I don’t think the people saying Pickford needs to be dropped would argue for one second that Pickfords strengths are;

shot stopping, reflexes, 1v1’s & Penalties.

Weakness’s though -

Distrubtion - contentious but he’s not as good with his feet as people think. Over plays way too much. He can kick a long ball but will do it 1 or 2 times a game when he’s under no pressure and send it to their keeper instead of kicking it at 75% and give someone a chance to get on it.

Concentration - enough said 

Command of area - 

Beat at near post too often - might be overly critical here but he is suspect.

7 minutes ago, Btay said:

100% agree mate. I don’t think the people saying Pickford needs to be dropped would argue for one second that Pickfords strengths are;

Weakness’s though -

Distrubtion - contentious but he’s not as good with his feet as people think. Over plays way too much. He can kick a long ball but will do it 1 or 2 times a game when he’s under no pressure and send it to their keeper instead of kicking it at 75% and give someone a chance to get on it.

Command of area - 

His distribution gets too much credit. I don't think he's good at it at all. 

People give Pickford credit for his distribution because he can do a really easy on the eye kung-fu dropkicks that normally ends up deep into the opponents' half. The problem is that I don't remember him creating too many counter attacks with accurate play, he just seems to be able to smack it further than other 'keepers and gets praise for it. Whilst I think Jordan is much better than his current form (he's a good goalkeeper overall) his distribution isn't one of his strengths IMO. 

For me his reflexes (different to shot stopping I must stress) are very good along with his communication which seems spot on. When things are going well, his arrogant attitude is exactly what I want to see from a goalkeeper, however on the flip-side it's this arrogant attitude that holds him back when things are going badly. His command of area I actually think is pretty decent, forgetting current form he's actually pretty good at mopping up those 90 minute balls into the box and generally has a really solid punch - his record from penalties is also something of an enigma, a fantastic record when you consider the odds are stacked firmly with the taker. 

Long story short I think Pickford is a good goalkeeper, not world-class and not as bad as some people make out. He's just at the bottom of a wave of bad form which hopefully he can snap out of in time for our next game.

On 08/10/2020 at 11:04, StevO said:

I wish that was true, but my coach keeps saying the problem is my follow through going too far right to left. 
😂

Sounds like the perfect swing for a draw to me, my coach says the opposite that you cannot feel that you are hitting out to the right enough 😎👍

17 hours ago, Aidan said:

His distribution seems to have gotten worse. It was good the first season he was here much like most of his performances. He's completely lost his head. 

I teach the kids this. A 30 yard pass is easy, the ball is in the air for approx 5 seconds, giving the receiver plenty of time to get into position to receive the ball.

A ten yard pass gives the receiver a second to adjust, so the pass needs to be accurate and takes more skill. This is what made Gana and players like that so valuable. 
what we call the simple pass is actually technically more difficult.

Pickford is great at sending ball into a big space and Hoping a player runs into it to make him look good.

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

Sounds like the perfect swing for a draw to me, my coach says the opposite that you cannot feel that you are hitting out to the right enough 😎👍

You are good! I do hit a draw, but I often open the face a bit and slice or pull my follow through and hook. 
Working on it and getting better though. 👍🏻

11 hours ago, StevO said:

You are good! I do hit a draw, but I often open the face a bit and slice or pull my follow through and hook. 
Working on it and getting better though. 👍🏻

Best advice I can give if your club face stays slightly open at impact is to exaggerate the rolling of your hands.

That will be £35.00 please 😉

33 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

My handicap has come tumbling down to 12....which under our course rating is pretty strong. I'm a member at the 2nd hardest slope rated course in Cheshire.

Had the shanks on and off for years,  rebuilt my swing.  Just need to work on short game and putting

Not too much to do then !

On 08/10/2020 at 23:08, Btay said:

Weakness’s though -

Command of area - 

On 08/10/2020 at 23:16, Sibdane said:

His distribution gets too much credit. I don't think he's good at it at all. 

I disagree about Pickford's distribution. He has lapses of concentration which we saw in the cup but when compared to other keepers his kicking is more than above average. 

He can receive the ball on both feet, he can pick out a man deep as well as being comfortable in drawing an attacker in before finding a short pass. 

He definitely gets a bit too excitable with those long passes at times and plays balls that aren't on or plays balls that are way overshot but when you look around the league there are very few keepers who even see those longer passes, let alone execute them. 

16 hours ago, Shukes said:

I teach the kids this. A 30 yard pass is easy, the ball is in the air for approx 5 seconds, giving the receiver plenty of time to get into position to receive the ball.

A ten yard pass gives the receiver a second to adjust, so the pass needs to be accurate and takes more skill. This is what made Gana and players like that so valuable. 
what we call the simple pass is actually technically more difficult.

Pickford is great at sending ball into a big space and Hoping a player runs into it to make him look good.

I agree with some of this. A 30 yard pass also gives the opposition the same 5 seconds air time. I would hope that the person receiving the 10 yard pass is expecting it, so a good pass should pose very fee problems for someone who is technically competent. 

The other point is that a 10 yard pass is likely to be on the ground which is much easier to control and move into a position to pass, shoot etc. A longer pass is likely to come at different heights and angles and therefore its much more difficult to not only execute so that it arrives at a controllable height but also for the receiver to take the touch and then be in a position to shoot, pass etc. 

I would hate to know what my long pass completion is! 😂

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I agree with some of this. A 30 yard pass also gives the opposition the same 5 seconds air time. I would hope that the person receiving the 10 yard pass is expecting it, so a good pass should pose very fee problems for someone who is technically competent. 

The other point is that a 10 yard pass is likely to be on the ground which is much easier to control and move into a position to pass, shoot etc. A longer pass is likely to come at different heights and angles and therefore its much more difficult to not only execute so that it arrives at a controllable height but also for the receiver to take the touch and then be in a position to shoot, pass etc. 

I would hate to know what my long pass completion is! 😂

All I can say is that if ball passed at 30 yards stays in the air for 5 seconds, it must have gone 150 yards high 😎

1 hour ago, StevO said:

You’ve not even got a simulator for me to look at! Getting no money from me mate. 
😂

Check wrists at top of back swing.... You want right wrist bent backwards.  Keep the right shoulder back as long as possible on downswing. .... This feeling stops you going over the top which is guaranteed right slice or straight pull

3 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Check wrists at top of back swing.... You want right wrist bent backwards.  Keep the right shoulder back as long as possible on downswing. .... This feeling stops you going over the top which is guaranteed right slice or straight pull

Everyone has their own opinions on the golf swing so I suppose I’ll contribute mine. From the top the goal is to lead with your hips and hold the angle between your arms and shoulders as you turn, creating lag. I get what you’re saying but the idea of keeping your right shoulder back (for a right hander) can lead to losing that angle and casting the club which creates all sorts of issues. The cue I like from the top is feeling like your left hip is being pulled by a string. This should promote a proper sequence as your swing “unwinds”. 

We might be saying the same thing in different terms which is to lead the downswing with the lower body, not your arms/shoulders/hands 

20 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

Everyone has their own opinions on the golf swing so I suppose I’ll contribute mine. From the top the goal is to lead with your hips and hold the angle between your arms and shoulders as you turn, creating lag. I get what you’re saying but the idea of keeping your right shoulder back (for a right hander) can lead to losing that angle and casting the club which creates all sorts of issues. The cue I like from the top is feeling like your left hip is being pulled by a string. This should promote a proper sequence as your swing “unwinds”. 

We might be saying the same thing in different terms which is to lead the downswing with the lower body, not your arms/shoulders/hands 

Spot on the the first movement on the down swing is your hips. 
I have my lessons with a pro coach on Trackman, it films you and gives so much info on your swing, then after every lesson you’re coach will send you a couple of your swings you made, and a voice over on what you need to work on. 
I use to cast outside to in now I’m inside to out with a draw and less spin on the ball which use to cost me so much distance particularly with the driver. 

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

Spot on the the first movement on the down swing is your hips. 
I have my lessons with a pro coach on Trackman, it films you and gives so much info on your swing, then after every lesson you’re coach will send you a couple of your swings you made, and a voice over on what you need to work on. 
I use to cast outside to in now I’m inside to out with a draw and less spin on the ball which use to cost me so much distance particularly with the driver. 

Yea any sort of video feedback is great. My swing, particularly with the driver is a bit long though it doesn’t feel that way to me. We are rarely doing what we think we are doing.