IGNORED

Toffee Talk Golf Society

Got putter envy here Palfy!! Love a Scotty! Strangely, my neighbour next door but one is called Scotty Cameron. 

My bag is mostly Cobra. It’s my second full set of clubs (only played a few years) and my first were Cobra so stuck with them. I replaced the whole bag between November and January as I needed stiffer shafts. My first set I just picked up in a pro shop and bought senior flex, as soon as the coach said I needed stiffer I went shopping. 

I’ve got;

Cobra F8 driver, currently in 9 degrees

Cobra F8 3 wood, currently living in my garage because it costs me at least two strokes per round

Cobra F9 4 hybrid one length (my favourite club)

Cobra F9 irons, 5-pw/gw/sw 

Cobra king black 60 degree

TaylorMade Spider X putter in chalk white

All my clubs are fitted with Arccos sensors and I find the data really useful to help with what I need to work on.

Love this ...

Driver:- ping G400 LST X stiff with 8.5 loft cranked to 9.5

3 wood:-  ping g400 stretch X stiff cranked down to 12 degree.... Low bullets

Hybrid:- mizuno jpx 900. 16 degree.  Great club, blue as well.

Irons 5 to pw:- mizuno jpx 900 forged with project X 6.5 shafts. Play X stiff.  Great clubs, absolute joys to hit. Nothing has come close to the mizuno

Gap:- mizuno 48 degree

52:- Vega wedge

56:- Cleveland 

60:- Callaway

Putter:- taylomadd spider tour platinum

My game is I hit it long, not very good at short game or putting.....

My handicap is 13.6 but under the new system with be 19.5 as our course is the second hardest in the county with a slope rating of 142

The G400 (non LST model) was the first driver my old coach put in my hand when he said my shafts had too much flex, to try something stiffer. 
I loved it! Just couldn’t afford it at the time I was driver shopping. 

Not even going to talk handicap at the moment, as after a bad couple of months I went up by 11.1 which sent me back to lessons. Won’t be putting any cards in until spring, give myself time to do some serious work over the winter. 

Ive been building two putting greens in my garden over the last couple of summers. Last summer I finished just a straight 4m x 1.5m to work on distance control, started to make a 4m x 5m green next to it for a bit more variation, with two chipping areas. Got the chipping areas in but with having a baby the missus wanted me to spend this summer making the garden where she would sit on maternity leave nice for her (it was nothing but rubble since we moved in three years ago so was a big job) so the second green has been neglected. Hopefully I’ll get it done early next year and make the most of it. Currently averaging 41 putts per round, so needs the work finished for some practice time other than on the landing carpet. 

In other golf info, back in July me and my sister bought our Dad a new driver for his 70th. So I took him for a couple of fitting sessions at Club House golf in Manchester. First session the fella in there had all the personality of the clubs he was selling and we left a bit dejected. The second time we got a younger pro, very keen, wanted to talk about the products and was very enthusiastic and changing shafts and heads and different settings, explaining the technology they use with GC2 to dial in the right club. Anyway, we came away with a TaylorMade Sim Max D (for draw) as my Dad plays with a natural fade this really made his drives a lot more neutral. His old Ping was a 12 degree and they took him down to a 10, and he always had a regular shaft but he’s slowing down so he’s gone into a senior shaft now. 
In the booth he was hitting it between 15-18 yards longer than his old one and he was very happy. He’s been playing it since and took on some lessons, that 15-18 has now gone up to 30 yards longer than before. 

I saw him yesterday (it’s allowed where I live but not where he lives in Liverpool) and for some reason he’s been looking up shafts online and found the shaft fitted in his driver is worth £300 so he’s even more grateful for the driver we got him. He can afford to buy whatever clubs he wants nowadays, but he’s so stuck in his ways with golf that he doesn’t like change. So I was worried when we were getting him a new club he wouldn’t take to it and we’d waste all that money. 

He has since changed two of his wedges for TaylorMade milled grind 2 in 50 and 54 and I have proper envy!!

Even at 70, I can’t get close to him on the course in terms of numbers. He can’t hit as far as me, but he doesn’t tend to miss to much. 

2 hours ago, StevO said:

The G400 (non LST model) was the first driver my old coach put in my hand when he said my shafts had too much flex, to try something stiffer. 
I loved it! Just couldn’t afford it at the time I was driver shopping. 

Not even going to talk handicap at the moment, as after a bad couple of months I went up by 11.1 which sent me back to lessons. Won’t be putting any cards in until spring, give myself time to do some serious work over the winter. 

Ive been building two putting greens in my garden over the last couple of summers. Last summer I finished just a straight 4m x 1.5m to work on distance control, started to make a 4m x 5m green next to it for a bit more variation, with two chipping areas. Got the chipping areas in but with having a baby the missus wanted me to spend this summer making the garden where she would sit on maternity leave nice for her (it was nothing but rubble since we moved in three years ago so was a big job) so the second green has been neglected. Hopefully I’ll get it done early next year and make the most of it. Currently averaging 41 putts per round, so needs the work finished for some practice time other than on the landing carpet. 

41 putts. .. that's good! I'm awful.  Started trying to release the putter head.... Feeling like it's a pendulum with the top of shaft pointing at my sternum throughout the swing rather than moving the handle..

I need low spinning drivers and low launching stiff shafts... Quite fast swing about 115 mph driver speed. 

11 hours ago, StevO said:

I played on Thursday up in Bolton and when I arrived I realised I had forgotten my putter. Pushed the rules a little by using a spare my playing partner had in the boot of his car, it weighed a tonne compared to my Spider X and did not help my round at all!

Putting on fast greens is more my forte I like to read them and let the speed of the green do the rest, I’m terrible on slow greens where I feel like I’m forcing the putt if that makes sense, then it all goes tits up with not much control on distance and direction. 
Also I prefer putting with a soft ball I find the harder balls come off the face of the club like a rocket. 
But I do feel for you having to use a strange putter, it’s a nightmare you grow attached to your putter the balance the weight, putting is a confidence thing, I’d say my putter is coming up to 30 years old and if I lost that it would take me months to get over it, unless of course I’m lucky and the first one I replace it with knocks them in from all over. 

1 minute ago, Hafnia said:

41 putts. .. that's good! I'm awful.  Started trying to release the putter head.... Feeling like it's a pendulum with the top of shaft pointing at my sternum throughout the swing rather than moving the handle

I’ve never had a putting lesson in my life I know people that have and still do, but as we all know the saying is distance for show putting for dough, I might succumb and book one but I’m worried thinking about it, as I think it’s the one element of the game that is unique to every individual, and I don’t want that part of my game to be compromised, and yet I probably need the help and it could save me a couple of shots around, decisions decisions why’s golf like life so complicated. 

26 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I’ve never had a putting lesson in my life I know people that have and still do, but as we all know the saying is distance for show putting for dough, I might succumb and book one but I’m worried thinking about it, as I think it’s the one element of the game that is unique to every individual, and I don’t want that part of my game to be compromised, and yet I probably need the help and it could save me a couple of shots around, decisions decisions why’s golf like life so complicated. 

I think it's deffo practice but you've got to know what to practice. Some people are awesome at it naturally

3 hours ago, Hafnia said:

41 putts. .. that's good! I'm awful.  Started trying to release the putter head.... Feeling like it's a pendulum with the top of shaft pointing at my sternum throughout the swing rather than moving the handle..

I need low spinning drivers and low launching stiff shafts... Quite fast swing about 115 mph driver speed. 

thanks 👍🏻 One of the problems is that first out is often too far from the pin to give me a chance of a single. 

I managed 35 putts at the Brabazon, to this day it’s my best. Shame though 35 puts we’re all me being 49 over par including a 15 on the 18th 😂

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

Putting on fast greens is more my forte I like to read them and let the speed of the green do the rest, I’m terrible on slow greens where I feel like I’m forcing the putt if that makes sense, then it all goes tits up with not much control on distance and direction. 
Also I prefer putting with a soft ball I find the harder balls come off the face of the club like a rocket. 
But I do feel for you having to use a strange putter, it’s a nightmare you grow attached to your putter the balance the weight, putting is a confidence thing, I’d say my putter is coming up to 30 years old and if I lost that it would take me months to get over it, unless of course I’m lucky and the first one I replace it with knocks them in from all over. 

I’m exactly the same as you, fast green doing half of the work for you suits me much better. Pick a line and give it a tap. Slow green I’m hitting three and four putts. 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

My first coach tried to give me a putting lesson, it made me lose a lot of confidence on the green. I’ve told my current coach that we won’t be going near the putter. If I can’t improve myself over the winter then maybe I’ll reconsider.

I overlock two fingers when I put, and only really suits the grip on my current putter and it’s become very natural over the summer. 

8 hours ago, Hafnia said:

My handicap is 13.6 but under the new system with be 19.5 as our course is the second hardest in the county with a slope rating of 142

That’s a great standard mate I’m 17.3 my lowest was 14 about 20 years ago, I really tried not to be to competitive at golf I use it more of a release from work where I am having to show my competitive side constantly, so use to relax and forget about my worries. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

That’s a great standard mate I’m 17.3 my lowest was 14 about 20 years ago, I really tried not to be to competitive at golf I use it more of a release from work where I am having to show my competitive side constantly, so use to relax and forget about my worries. 

I don't drink anymore ... Golf is my thing.  It's pure therapy ... Absolutely nothing like it on a spring or summers night to have 9 holes and feel the stress just disappear

Got a game lined up for Thursday next week with my Dad. Not played together for a couple of months. 
Hoping my uncle can join us too, but currently trying to get over corona. 

In other news, it was my five year anniversary with my current employer and they have given me some gift vouchers. Treating myself to a fancy new pair of Nike shoes for next summer. 

56 minutes ago, StevO said:

Got a game lined up for Thursday next week with my Dad. Not played together for a couple of months. 
Hoping my uncle can join us too, but currently trying to get over corona. 

In other news, it was my five year anniversary with my current employer and they have given me some gift vouchers. Treating myself to a fancy new pair of Nike shoes for next summer. 

its wild how nike has taken over the golf world.  when i grew up they didn't even sell golf anything.  they were a nothing in golf.  it was all Ping, Cleveland, TaylorMade, Callaway, etc.  Tiger Woods hit the scene, they went HARD with him and now they have a massive market share.  

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

its wild how nike has taken over the golf world.  when i grew up they didn't even sell golf anything.  they were a nothing in golf.  it was all Ping, Cleveland, TaylorMade, Callaway, etc.  Tiger Woods hit the scene, they went HARD with him and now they have a massive market share.  

All of those other brands are still huge in the equipment market, but Nike are out of that now. But they have gone in with most of the top players in the world with clothing deals. 
Tiger, Rory, Brooks, Finau, Fleetwood, Day, Molinari, Reed, Wolff, and plenty more. 

I can only really think of Bryson and Fowler who are in the Cobra/Puma stable, DJ with Adidas and Spieth with Under Armour. There will be plenty of other sponsorship deals, Im not sure any brand is pushing as hard as Nike. 

29 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I think Nike do the best apparel that's affordable.  Footjoy is good but pricey, Galvin green is rip off....

I bought the airmax shoes, awesome. Do comfy. Got Adidas for rainy/winter.... Starting to let a bit of water through after _ years though. 

I’ve got Calvin Green wets black bottoms blue and white top obviously 🙄, had them 7 or 8 years now cost a fortune but still look good, unlike the golf 🏌️

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

Going to Marbella Tuesday for a weeks golf with 7 friends, unless we go into full lockdown and the flights are closed. 
Playing Santana, Santa Clara, Marbella Club, Torquabrada spelt wrong and Flamingos looking forward to it even though I have to isolate for 2 weeks when I get back. 

Couldn’t possibly have more envy right now, unless you were going on a private jet. 

On 16/10/2020 at 15:17, Hafnia said:

I think Nike do the best apparel that's affordable.  Footjoy is good but pricey, Galvin green is rip off....

I bought the airmax shoes, awesome. Do comfy. Got Adidas for rainy/winter.... Starting to let a bit of water through after _ years though. 

I couldn't fault Footjoy. Bought two pairs on the cheap about 10 years ago. Wore one pair to death, and still have the other pair now. 

I also like the under armour gear. We have an outlet in Portsmouth so I pop in there every time I go down there to see what I can find with a few quid off! 

15 hours ago, Bailey said:

I couldn't fault Footjoy. Bought two pairs on the cheap about 10 years ago. Wore one pair to death, and still have the other pair now. 

I also like the under armour gear. We have an outlet in Portsmouth so I pop in there every time I go down there to see what I can find with a few quid off! 

Under Armour do some nice stuff, I get there golf shorts really good fit and comfortable 👌