IGNORED

Toffee Talk Golf Society

4 hours ago, StevO said:

I work not too far from Club House golf. 
It’s a problem because I’m having a quiet afternoon and they have a top in stock that I could too easily jump in the car and go and get it. 
It’s either that or go and make another cuppa. 

😂 decisions decisions, anyhow what’s the top fit like?

3 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I'm due a bit of s splurge.... How's the time for it isn't it.  Is clubhouse a big store??? 

It’s not that big really. Their warehouse for their online sales is massive, so anything they don’t have in the store they can normally have within a couple of hours, but they have a good selection in store. 
Enough to keep me going back anyway. 

They are often cheaper in the store than online too, but I’ve never seen anything advertising that. Like the top I got today was £20 less than the website. 

Any golf ball recommendations?

Other than the usual Pro V1/x or TP5/x. 

I was playing a Bridgestone Tour B RX, bought quite a few earlier in the year as they stopped making them and were £19.99 per box. 
Im now down to my last box. I picked up some Titleist TruFeel balls the other day, so going to give them a try. 

The rate I lose them I’m not going for the £40 per dozen stuff. I’ll be burning money. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Any golf ball recommendations?

Other than the usual Pro V1/x or TP5/x. 

I was playing a Bridgestone Tour B RX, bought quite a few earlier in the year as they stopped making them and were £19.99 per box. 
Im now down to my last box. I picked up some Titleist TruFeel balls the other day, so going to give them a try. 

The rate I lose them I’m not going for the £40 per dozen stuff. I’ll be burning money. 

Snell MTB black are supposed to be the same as a prov1. 

I lose balls too easily to play expensive ones but Ironically I could benefit from a tour level ball due to my swing speed. I need a low spin driver and ball. 

5 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Snell MTB black are supposed to be the same as a prov1. 

I lose balls too easily to play expensive ones but Ironically I could benefit from a tour level ball due to my swing speed. I need a low spin driver and ball. 

I played Pro V1 for a big chunk of last year, but I was spending more on balls that I was on green fees. 
I did like it a lot though. 

4 hours ago, StevO said:

I played Pro V1 for a big chunk of last year, but I was spending more on balls that I was on green fees. 
I did like it a lot though. 

Must admit ... Whenever I find a new Pro V1 and play it .... You notice a difference.  Goes a little further, approach shots seem nice, lovely feel and off a putter they are very good.

Srixon Ad333 are solid balls but you can get the Snell or vice for similar if not cheaper.

Should have stayed at home today. Or at least gone and played pitch and putt!

Chipping and putting better than normal. 42 putts, could have done better but I’ll take it. 

My driving and long irons were awful! I think I lost seven balls off the tee. 

Disappointed. 

When you talk scores are you playing a full 18 or just 9?  Might be a culture thing but when I golfed (and my father too) it was always 9.  I think I played a full 18 maybe 5 times In my whole life. Although over here the public courses are usually smaller, whereas the country clubs are big and nice but you have to be rich or your parents be rich to have a membership. 

19 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

When you talk scores are you playing a full 18 or just 9?  Might be a culture thing but when I golfed (and my father too) it was always 9.  I think I played a full 18 maybe 5 times In my whole life. Although over here the public courses are usually smaller, whereas the country clubs are big and nice but you have to be rich or your parents be rich to have a membership. 

Talking 18 Mark. 

Ive played in Jacksonville a few times. My aunt lives on a country club gated community (old and rich), and we played at a members course too. I just emailed ahead and they charged me and my Dad about $70 each.

Golf may be expensive in the majority of places, but I know for certain that in areas where there is plenty of tourism that golf can be very accessible. Speaking of Florida, the outskirts of Los Angeles and Las Vegas. I’ve always tried to get a round in when possible, but the missus often gets in the way. I have friends who have played in Phoenix and Chicago too. 

Golf, now, is a whole lot more accessible all over the world than it was even just ten years ago. 

13 hours ago, StevO said:

Talking 18 Mark. 

Ive played in Jacksonville a few times. My aunt lives on a country club gated community (old and rich), and we played at a members course too. I just emailed ahead and they charged me and my Dad about $70 each.

Golf may be expensive in the majority of places, but I know for certain that in areas where there is plenty of tourism that golf can be very accessible. Speaking of Florida, the outskirts of Los Angeles and Las Vegas. I’ve always tried to get a round in when possible, but the missus often gets in the way. I have friends who have played in Phoenix and Chicago too. 

Golf, now, is a whole lot more accessible all over the world than it was even just ten years ago. 

I have photos somewhere of my dad at Pebble Beach in the sixties, just out of interest I looked up what the green fees are today....$575 if you're a guest at the resort. Ouch.

Funny thing is he was total crap, I was beating him at fourteen:P

Just now, MikeO said:

I have photos somewhere of my dad at Bebble Beach in the sixties, just out of interest I looked up what the green fees are today....$595 if you're a guest at the resort. Ouch.

https://www.howestongolfcourse.com.au/

AU$25 to play here... Definitely Accessible :)

12 hours ago, MikeO said:

I have photos somewhere of my dad at Pebble Beach in the sixties, just out of interest I looked up what the green fees are today....$575 if you're a guest at the resort. Ouch.

Pebble Beach is one of the most famous golf courses in the world! It’s hosted loads of majors. 
That’s like booking a game of footy at Wembley, but with much nicer weather. 😂

25 minutes ago, StevO said:

Pebble Beach is one of the most famous golf courses in the world! It’s hosted loads of majors. 
That’s like booking a game of footy at Wembley, but with much nicer weather. 😂

I know, he was so proud to play there, can't remember who he was with but must've been some music biz bigwigs. Probably took them a while to get the course back up to scratch after dad hacked his way round:P

Where we used to play most Sundays when I was a kid no longer exists as a course sadly, was in the grounds of Shillinglee House and (unusually) only nine holes. You can still see from the overhead that it used to be a course but it shut down in 2002. It only oficially opened in 1980 but we played it for many years before that as the course was finished but the building work (clubhouse etc) wasn't, my dad's accountant knew the owner:)

https://golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/england/south-east/sussex/1159-sussex-shillinglee-park

Capture.JPG

On 21/10/2020 at 19:20, Hafnia said:

Must admit ... Whenever I find a new Pro V1 and play it .... You notice a difference.  Goes a little further, approach shots seem nice, lovely feel and off a putter they are very good.

Srixon Ad333 are solid balls but you can get the Snell or vice for similar if not cheaper.

Bit late to the post but I have always found Ad333 to be solid balls for the days I dont want to lose my pro v's. 

Sometimes I think it can be simpler to play with a slightly harder ball especially the higher handicapper. Hard balls almost always roll out so you don't have to worry about check or spin. Knowing the ball will roll out makes it easier to judge where to pitch balls onto the green.

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

I'm looking for a hybrid jacket .... Wind, cold water ......  Galvin green looking likeliest.....

Some of the Adidas stuff is nice too, though we know I’m loyal to Nike, it looked good quality last time I was in the shop. 

I got some vouchers from work a few days back for my five year anniversary, so ordered some shoes for next summer. Don’t like spikes when the ground is dry, so got some spikeless Nike air Max 270G. They will be good for the range over winter too. 

Im not sure I’ll get any 18 hole rounds in before the end of the year, but hoping to get some 9 holes in where I can. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Had a great weeks golf in Spain excellent weather bar Thursday, the courses were quiet due to people not traveling but were in pristine condition. 

So jealous mate! How did you play? Follow each round with a nice bottle of the Spanish red or two?

7 hours ago, StevO said:

So jealous mate! How did you play? Follow each round with a nice bottle of the Spanish red or two?

I was up and down mate depending on how I recovered from the night before, been doing this trip with the same friends for 23 years now, and it's become just as much about having good food and a good drink than just about the golf, I've known most of them since our early teens so soon as we arrive there is this very fast age regression to our early thirties. 
I won 2 rounds played off 19 and got 28 points was savagely cut to 16 and on the other and won with 27 points, not great scoring by us all I know, but when you don’t get to bed till 2-3 in the morning and the courses are that more difficult it’s not bad going. 
Now I got time to chill and recover for 2 weeks thanks to self isolation😢

16 hours ago, Palfy said:

And the dearest, look on line mate and shop around fusion are quite a good golf outlet and very trustworthy.

15 hours ago, StevO said:

Some of the Adidas stuff is nice too, though we know I’m loyal to Nike, it looked good quality last time I was in the shop. 

I got some vouchers from work a few days back for my five year anniversary, so ordered some shoes for next summer. Don’t like spikes when the ground is dry, so got some spikeless Nike air Max 270G. They will be good for the range over winter too. 

Im not sure I’ll get any 18 hole rounds in before the end of the year, but hoping to get some 9 holes in where I can. 

https://www.hotgolf.co.uk/product/galvin-green-lyon-interface-1-thermal-jacket-black/

Gone for this ..... Nice price. Retail at 70 quid more in other places. 

7 hours ago, Palfy said:

I was up and down mate depending on how I recovered from the night before, been doing this trip with the same friends for 23 years now, and it's become just as much about having good food and a good drink than just about the golf, I've known most of them since our early teens so soon as we arrive there is this very fast age regression to our early thirties. 
I won 2 rounds played off 19 and got 28 points was savagely cut to 16 and on the other and won with 27 points, not great scoring by us all I know, but when you don’t get to bed till 2-3 in the morning and the courses are that more difficult it’s not bad going. 
Now I got time to chill and recover for 2 weeks thanks to self isolation😢

Not done a full golf trip.... Done a couple of nights away locally with brother and cousin..... Brutal amount of ale drunk. 

The new Nike shoes arrived in the post yesterday. Very strange as I have the exact same trainers just not in the golf version. They have changed the sole and then coated the outer layer of the shoe in like a clear rubber to make them waterproof, so there is not a lot of flexibility and they are quite tight because of this. 
Going to wear them while I’m out and about today and see if they soften up.