Jump to content

Man of the Match v Liverpool


MOTM v Liverpool  

34 members have voted

  1. 1. ???

    • Jordan Pickford
    • Seamus Coleman
      0
    • Yerry Mina
      0
    • Michael Keane
    • Lucas Digne
    • Allan
    • André Gomes
      0
    • Abdoulaye Doucouré
    • Dominic Calvert-Lewin
    • James Rodríguez
    • Richarlison
      0
    • Ben Godfrey
      0


Recommended Posts

Current Player of the Season standings....
Dominic Calvert-Lewin...49
James Rodríguez...35
Niels Nkounkou...34
Yerry Mina...20
Abdoulaye Doucouré...19
Allan...17
Séamus Coleman...12
Jordan Pickford...11
Anthony Gordon...10
Richarlison...7
André Gomes...7
Gylfi Sigurðsson...6
Bernard...5
Michael Keane...4
Alex Iwobi...4
Lucas Digne...2
Tom Davies...2

Previous MOTM winners...
Brighton (H)*...Yerry Mina
Wat Ham (H Cup)*...Dominic Calvert-Lewin
Crystal Palace (A)*...James Rodríguez
Fleetwood (A)*...Niels Nkounkou
West Brom (H)*...Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Salford (H)*...Niels Nkounkou
Tottenham (A)*...Jordan Pickford

*Behind closed doors

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pickford. Stopped two very good chances, and was strong going for the punch first half. DCL done well with the little he was given. Keane and Digne done well, Godfrey had a tough first game but fair enough given he was against their best player. Allen done well too and James is a sexy bastard. Both the latter two not helped by the ref.

Of the bad Gomes was gash, if I was sig or Davies I'd be asking for his spot. Richarlison was trying to hard. Mina was poor for their goal and had another poor clearance in the build up to their 'third'. Other than that Coleman looked off the pace but turned out it was due to carrying an injury, disappointed Ancelotti picked him to start.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gone with Rodriguez. Thought second half he looked the threat and the one to open something up. 
 

Allan another who came into the game as it went on.
 

No way I can give it to Pickford. Yes two brilliant saves but could have been sent off and should have saved Henderson’s shot.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MC11 said:

Gone with Rodriguez. Thought second half he looked the threat and the one to open something up. 
 

Allan another who came into the game as it went on.
 

No way I can give it to Pickford. Yes two brilliant saves but could have been sent off and should have saved Henderson’s shot.

 

 

Thought it was his worst game for us personally, bar 3-4 exceptional moments. Slow and bitchy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

VAR, with Pickford a close second. 

Went with Pickford because his save from Mario's header literally kept us in the game, and no matter your opinion on him was absolutely top drawer. I thought he was generally good throughout the game too, had a bit of a nightmare with the VVD incident but to be honest that's when everyone needed to give their heads a wobble. 

Keane did well, so gets a shout (Mina was poor, but always going to be a big ask with the amount of travel he's done). Godfrey looked bright too, which is inspiring considering the game he was thrown into. DCL with that header just continues to blow my mind, he's turning into an absolute machine. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, StevO said:

Went with Allan, just for generally being a crank. 
We got very very lucky today though. 
 

Does Richarlison get three games for that?

Straight red so yes as I understand it unless it’s rescinded which I doubt it will be. He did touch the ball first and pulled his foot back a bit but it was rash. Could cost us more points than that tie earned. Will miss Man U for game 3.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Pickford. Stopped two very good chances, and was strong going for the punch first half. DCL done well with the little he was given. Keane and Digne done well, Godfrey had a tough first game but fair enough given he was against their best player. Allen done well too and James is a sexy bastard. Both the latter two not helped by the ref.

Of the bad Gomes was gash, if I was sig or Davies I'd be asking for his spot. Richarlison was trying to hard. Mina was poor for their goal and had another poor clearance in the build up to their 'third'. Other than that Coleman looked off the pace but turned out it was due to carrying an injury, disappointed Ancelotti picked him to start.

 

I actually counted 3 very good Pickford saves. 
 

On the Coleman bit I think it would have been pretty rough to start Godfrey out of position in a game like this if Séamus said he could give it a go. Tough call though 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

He was annoyed Pickford kept booting it upfield rather than allowing us to play out from the back. Hard to say what Carlo’s instructions were without being in the room I guess. 

I meant more the waving the imaginary card and strolling about a lot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Matt said:

I meant more the waving the imaginary card and strolling about a lot. 

The card stuff doesn’t bother me, personally as you want your guys putting pressure on the officials. The strolling about at times is not great but it’s sort of baked in with James. That’s the trade off for the moments of brilliance and he did have a couple of those even today. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

The card stuff doesn’t bother me, personally as you want your guys putting pressure on the officials. The strolling about at times is not great but it’s sort of baked in with James. That’s the trade off for the moments of brilliance and he did have a couple of those even today. 

I’ve always hated it. It’s tantamount to cheating and poor sportsmanship for me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SpartyBlue said:

Asking for a card? I suppose I get the sentiment though it happens in every sport by the players and the coaches. If your opponent is working the ref and you’re not you are at a disadvantage. 

Yeah. Anyone who waves a card should get one. Always had this dislike for unsportsmanlike conduct. “Working the ref” shouldn’t be tolerated. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SpartyBlue said:

So when the ref gets a decision wrong the players/coaches should not say a word and be about their business? 

Coaches should be telling the 4th official to review it. Players intimidating a ref is embarrassing. Digne did a great job of that today for example 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Aidan said:

He was the only player for us today who looked like he could create something out of nothing. 

Just because I think it was his worst game doesn’t mean he wasn’t dangerous. But he really needed to do more, though maybe all the kickings he got put him off

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Matt said:

Just because I think it was his worst game doesn’t mean he wasn’t dangerous. But he really needed to do more, though maybe all the kickings he got put him off

I thought he did what he could. It must have been frustrating for him with Gomes and Richarlison losing possession every time he gave them the ball. Also, thought he worked a lot harder defensively today compared to what we have seen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Aidan said:

I thought he did what he could. It must have been frustrating for him with Gomes and Richarlison losing possession every time he gave them the ball. Also, thought he worked a lot harder defensively today compared to what we have seen.

Really? I thought it was the least tracking back he’s done, bar the one time he did get back and tripped Mane. Especially with Godfrey coming on, he needed to help more but it was Doucoure covering most of the time 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought the player who came back from South America where not up to the standards we have been used to this season, but can't be too critical of Mina, Richarlison or Rodriquez as can't really expected them to be firing on all cylinders a couple of days after landing. Set the tone of our performance really. Still a couple of great balls from Rodriguez thought.

Allan has a busy afternoon, but have to give MoM to Keane. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Matt said:

Coaches should be telling the 4th official to review it. Players intimidating a ref is embarrassing. Digne did a great job of that today for example 

So you’re ok with the coaches “intimidating” the ref? This is an odd take in my opinion. Players arguing with the refs about anything and everything is synonymous with sport. When a player throws up his hand for a handball or for offsides they aren’t intimidating anyone they are trying to get an outcome for their team. Maybe I’m biased from living in America and watching the sports here for a lifetime  but this does not seem noteworthy to me. I have a kuch greater problem with diving then I do someone claiming a throw in they might not have won or asking for a card to be issued.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

So you’re ok with the coaches “intimidating” the ref? This is an odd take in my opinion. Players arguing with the refs about anything and everything is synonymous with sport. When a player throws up his hand for a handball or for offsides they aren’t intimidating anyone they are trying to get an outcome for their team. Maybe I’m biased from living in America and watching the sports here for a lifetime  but this does not seem noteworthy to me. I have a kuch greater problem with diving then I do someone claiming a throw in they might not have won or asking for a card to be issued.

I didn’t say I’m ok with them intimidating the ref. I specifically chose the words “tell the 4th official to review” because usually managers are more level headed. Calling for a handball or offside because you think you’ve seen it isn’t intimidating the ref either, running up to the ref and crowding him is. 
 

Take a look at how rugby players respond to referees. That’s how it should be. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Matt said:

Take a look at how rugby players respond to referees. That’s how it should be. 

Same as American football 🏈 the punishment can be severe as in Rugby 🏉, so unless they make the punishment fit the crime and it potentially hurts the whole team then refs will always be surrounded and berated on a football pitch, it’s become an acceptable part of our game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Palfy said:

Same as American football 🏈 the punishment can be severe as in Rugby 🏉, so unless they make the punishment fit the crime and it potentially hurts the whole team then refs will always be surrounded and berated on a football pitch, it’s become an acceptable part of our game. 

For what it’s worth, players in American football are constantly griping to the referees. They don’t do it as a collective unit but that has more to do with there  being so many areas of focus on an American football field (the guy getting held on one side has no idea what’s going on across the field) and the continuous play clock (you simply don’t have the time to gather around an official). The coaches on the other hand are constantly screaming at the refs.

Basketball and hockey are the same. In baseball you use replay a ton nowadays but it’s still pretty routine for a player to be ejected for arguing balls and strikes. 
 

I agree there should never be physical contact but these athletes and coaches are paid absurd amounts of money and face a ton of pressure as a result to perform and get results. I think it’s a little naive to think they won’t do everything within their power to get the most advantage they can for their side. Trying to get the officials to make calls that benefit your team is just part of the deal. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Michael Keane, looks a proper defender now. Brilliant in the air.

As for James throwing imaginary yellow cards ... I'm disappointed..... Disappointed that this is the first time in years we've had a footballer with enough street smartness in him.  The pricks will have him on the injury table if we play nice old Everton.   

He knows how to play the game, I'm sick of us having the likes of Gerrard and Carragher ref our matches.  Maybe if the fairplay League wind us trophy's and millions of quid I'll look at it again..... Till then, fuck em

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SpartyBlue said:

For what it’s worth, players in American football are constantly griping to the referees. They don’t do it as a collective unit but that has more to do with there  being so many areas of focus on an American football field (the guy getting held on one side has no idea what’s going on across the field) and the continuous play clock (you simply don’t have the time to gather around an official). The coaches on the other hand are constantly screaming at the refs.

Basketball and hockey are the same. In baseball you use replay a ton nowadays but it’s still pretty routine for a player to be ejected for arguing balls and strikes. 
 

I agree there should never be physical contact but these athletes and coaches are paid absurd amounts of money and face a ton of pressure as a result to perform and get results. I think it’s a little naive to think they won’t do everything within their power to get the most advantage they can for their side. Trying to get the officials to make calls that benefit your team is just part of the deal. 

 

I played for 3 years 30 years ago in the British league we were affiliated to and sponsored by the American League, playing under their regulations and rules, if we didn’t agree with a decision you couldn’t harangue the referees whether on the pitch or the sideline, if you did it would be a yellow flag and a 10 yard penalty which would hurt and could cost you a game, of course you were allowed to challenge a decision but only one man could question the ref at anyone time and he had to be polite and address him in the correct manner, and that was the criteria set down by the Americans, are you now saying that has changed since I played, and player’s now argue with the refs with no punishment. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently Van Dijk is out for the rest of the season. While he is a Red, I still hope he comes back strong. He is a quality player and I hate to see anyone suffer an injury like that.

I also hope it does not affect Pickford in a bad way, seeing someone injured because of your actions can have an effect. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...