IGNORED

Southampton (Away) Sunday October 25th

markjazzbassist

this is a winnable game here.  we are still undefeated we have to go in and play our game.  sadly Richarlison will be out, Carlo said Kenny will be back. could be iwobi or bernard in for richarlison.  

Pickford

Kenny Keane   Godfrey    Digne

Allan

Doucoure  Gylfi

James               DCL      Bernard

9 hours ago, Bailey said:

They looked the better side in the bits I saw today. Chelsea just have some great players that can pull something out of their arse when it matters. They do also have Kepa though so it balances out.

Chelsea were dominant in the 1st half. They do have a solid team though. With no Richie it’ll be a tough game. 

I’d like to see bernard come into the line up on the left. James is looking to switch it instantly and Bernard could play it around nicely to release Digne. Need to get crosses in the box for DCL because he his red hot. Wouldn’t even mind going 3 at the back with Godfrey in allowing Digne to be further up.

Pickford

Godfrey    Mina     Keane 

Iwobi     Allan    Doucoure    Digne

James                     Bernard

DCL 

Agent Walcott helped nick a point off Chelsea yesterday so will be a bit of a loss for them as he can't play against his parent club.

Someone mentioned Mina may have struggled due to the flight back from South America so I'd give him the benefit of doubt and see how he gets on with Godfrey waiting on the wings. Gomes deserves to be dropped and Iwobi has been the most used sub so I'd expect him to come in for this one, could easily be Davies or Sig instead. Davies to fill in at right back unless Kenny is fully fit. 

Pickford

Davies Keane Mina Digne

Allan 

Iwobi James Doucoure Bernard

DCL

On 19/10/2020 at 06:34, Aidan said:

I doubt we will... But maybe we could see Simms on the bench with the absence of Richarlison meaning we have no natural back up for the CF position. Probably play Gordon, Iwobi or James there in that event though. 

I think Gordon will come in for him. Weird but I have seen Iwobi play as last man for us this year so I’m sure Carlo has something in store.

On 18/10/2020 at 17:27, pete0 said:

Agent Walcott helped nick a point off Chelsea yesterday so will be a bit of a loss for them as he can't play against his parent club.

Someone mentioned Mina may have struggled due to the flight back from South America so I'd give him the benefit of doubt and see how he gets on with Godfrey waiting on the wings. Gomes deserves to be dropped and Iwobi has been the most used sub so I'd expect him to come in for this one, could easily be Davies or Sig instead. Davies to fill in at right back unless Kenny is fully fit. 

Pickford

Davies Keane Mina Digne

Allan 

Iwobi James Doucoure Bernard

DCL

Be disappointed to see Tom put in there at right back after godfrey did so well. Tom may however do a better job in the opposition half. Maybe Carlo will change the system for this one, possibly even a 3 man defence as Btay suggested. The only trouble with that is we could lack those runs richarlison makes from the wide position to free up Digne on the left. 

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

Be disappointed to see Tom put in there at right back after godfrey did so well. Tom may however do a better job in the opposition half. Maybe Carlo will change the system for this one, possibly even a 3 man defence as Btay suggested. The only trouble with that is we could lack those runs richarlison makes from the wide position to free up Digne on the left. 

I weren't too keen on Godfrey at right back. His positioning was frightening at times leaving big spaces and backing off a bit too much. I'm assuming he was picked more to combat the pace and strength of Mane. Can't be arsed checking but I'd also assume that was his first game at right back so all things considered he done well.

That said soton won't be giving either player as much as a tough time so whoever gets picked should be okay.

11 hours ago, Aidan said:

Won’t have those runs regardless as Richarlison is suspended hence Bernard to free up Digne as our next best outlet on the left 

Bernard doesn't seem to be favoured by Ancelotti and he prefers to play Iwobi but personally I'd say the most natural replacement is Bernard.  He has pace, flare and skills to work the wing and come inside.  He's not as much of a goal threat as Richarlison but is certainly capable of opening up space and and setting up DCL.  Like Richarilson he works hard around the pitch too, putting in dodgy tackles in an attempt to help out defense!

I'd go with the same line up but put Bernard and Kenny in.

Gomes could also be swapped for Sigurdson but depends how Ancelotti is feeling after watching Gomes in training for a week since the last game.

48 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Coleman and Ridriguez also expected to miss this one. Lovely.

damn.  what's wrong with James?  just roughed up from the derby?

Pickford

Kenny Keane Mina Digne

Allan

Doucoure Gomes

Iwobi      DCL     Bernard

5 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

damn.  what's wrong with James?  just roughed up from the derby?

Pickford

Kenny Keane Mina Digne

Allan

Doucoure Gomes

Iwobi      DCL     Bernard

The challenge from VVD early on. 

Allan, Digne, Doucoure and Dom need to be at the top of their game for this one. 

Bernard, Iwobi and whoever starts at RB need to prove why they should be starting every week. 

This game will either show us how much quality and confidence the squad actually has at the minute, or how reliant we are on James and Richarlison. 

I'm expecting a performance to keep us top of the table for now. 

2 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Allan, Digne, Doucoure and Dom need to be at the top of their game for this one. 

Bernard, Iwobi and whoever starts at RB need to prove why they should be starting every week. 

This game will either show us how much quality and confidence the squad actually has at the minute, or how reliant we are on James and Richarlison. 

I'm expecting a performance to keep us top of the table for now. 

Might be a case of us returning to the top of the league with Villa playing tomorrow. 

injuries and suspensions making this one a bit difficult but perhaps a good chance to work out how we are going to combat the busy Christmas period. For me we either go 3-4-2-1

Pickford

Godfrey    Mina     Keane 

Iwobi     Allan    Doucoure    Digne

Gylfi                   Bernard 

DCL

Or we stick with out 4-3-3 same tactics 

Pickford 

Kenny       Mina       Keane      Digne 

Gomes    Allan   Doucoure

Bernard          DCL          Gordon 

Kenny - subject to Ancelotti, he’s because he’s our number 2 rb but Carlo sees more than we do so trust him on that. No issue with Godfrey.

Gomes - Stays for stability alone, already a few changes but again if Gylfi comes in or Davies so be it.

Bernard, drifting inside similar to James.

Gordon, most similar player to Richarlison so tactically I feel it keeps us balanced.

Iwobi - Can come in on either wing I just feel he is completely different player to either wide player in our starting 11. 

don't get me wrong - I want Rodriquez and Richarlison fit and available for every game if possible. However, don't think a 'weeks' brake from games will do them any harm to be honest - its been a hectic period especially for our South American's with international break, a forced break this weekend maybe not such a bad thing. (although, Richarlison away for 3 games is too long a break!!).

In a strange way I am also curious how we perform without Rodriquez (and Richarlison). We have looked good in the Carabou cup, but an away Premiership fixture will be a tougher test. A great opportunity for other squad player to stake a claim to be in the starting line up.

As Ancelotti has been saying, the difficult part of management is to keep the players who are not playing motivated.  He is a chance for them.

I am going to take the positives out of this, a chance for Rodriquez to recharge his batteries and opportunity for others to shine in a confident team and feel a bigger part of the current Goodison revival. 

If we are going to be true challengers to the top positions in the league, we are going to need to be able to deal without one or two of our normal starting 11 players on a fairly regular basis. A good test for the squad. 

Fingers cross for a results and some good performances.