IGNORED

Newcastle (Away) Sunday November 1st

markjazzbassist

We will need a response after the bad match at soton.  Digne and richarlison both out due to red cards and Coleman Kenny James all battling injuries.  I really hope they fight and get a win here, Newcastle aren’t a good looking side and the points are there if we apply ourselves.  I really hope Coleman or Kenny is fit.

Pickford

Kenny Mina Keane Niels

Allan

Doucoure Gylfi

James        DCL        Gordon

25 minutes ago, Btay said:

Won’t be popular but I have no issue with Delph starting alongside Allan & Doucoure. Gordon should start on the wing as well. Neils in for Digne, perhaps Delph to sit and cover the attacking left side that we would have.

I think it would just be a question of balance especially in a game against Newcastle that we should be looking to win and play on the front foot. 

Ideally you wouldn't want to see Delph and Allan in the same 5 man midfield too often in my opinion. 

As for full backs, it is going to be a test. 5 at the back must be under consideration. 

33 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think it would just be a question of balance especially in a game against Newcastle that we should be looking to win and play on the front foot. 

Ideally you wouldn't want to see Delph and Allan in the same 5 man midfield too often in my opinion. 

This, it would be far too slow. One or the other for me.

Dont know why Doucoure was subbed and not Allan today tbh - he was atrocious. Thought Doucoure was thrown under the bus by the rest of the midfield tbh and I felt sorry for him having to try and put fires out all over the place. 

5 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

This, it would be far too slow. One or the other for me.

Dont know why Doucoure was subbed and not Allan today tbh - he was atrocious. Thought Doucoure was thrown under the bus by the rest of the midfield tbh and I felt sorry for him having to try and put fires out all over the place. 

I get that I just don’t know where Carlo goes after that. Gylfi didn’t take his chance at all, maybe Gomes comes back in. Niels and Gordon on the left is the most likely given suspensions but it’s very young and inexperienced - not that iwobi or Bernard are providing much.

4 hours ago, Btay said:

I get that I just don’t know where Carlo goes after that. Gylfi didn’t take his chance at all, maybe Gomes comes back in. Niels and Gordon on the left is the most likely given suspensions but it’s very young and inexperienced - not that iwobi or Bernard are providing much.

Gomes is the only option for me tbh, and we just have to cross our fingers he gets out of his slump. One thing we do know after a few YEARS of shite is that Gylfi isn't good enough and it pains me even more that whenever he comes in he's the fucking captain.

4 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Gomes is the only option for me tbh, and we just have to cross our fingers he gets out of his slump. One thing we do know after a few YEARS of shite is that Gylfi isn't good enough and it pains me even more that whenever he comes in he's the fucking captain.

That’s why that whole misplaced pass and reaction hurt so much. No way coleman does that ever. 

43 minutes ago, Btay said:

That’s why that whole misplaced pass and reaction hurt so much. No way coleman does that ever. 

Coleman probably would've threw his arms up in the air but it would've been in frustration at himself, rather than at Doucoure as I suspect Gylfi was, and he sure as shit would have chased after the ball to get it back.

If we had even a slightly better squad I would honestly love to send him to the U23s until he leaves. I can't stand him.

This fixture will definitely be a lot tougher possibly having both Coleman and Digne out as well as Richarlison - both our experienced attacking back out along with our best left sided attacking option. So 3 of our usual 4 flank attacking options missing. If we don't have Kenny available it might be a game to go three at the back, and play Niels a bit further forward. 

Pickford

Godfrey     Keane       Mina

Allan         Delph

Rodrigues  Doucoure   Iwobi     Niels

DCL 

I would be a bit nervous of starting both the relatively inexperienced Niels and Gordon on the left. Might be tempted to put Niels further up the pitch, he has looked good going forward, but can also cover back as well. Delph would provide good cover on the left. 

I would keep going with Iwobi - I am a fan of given a player a run of games, try and build confidence rather than destroy it. He's relatively young so I am behind him, so the sooner the better his confidence and performances improve. We are going to need the likes of Iwobi to come good if we want to finish high up the league table. Could go Gomes, Gylfi or even Bernard in place of Iwobi, but have given my reasoning to starting him. We are just going to have to give some players the time needed to play themselves in to some form.  

If we have Kenny available, then need a little less midfield cover

Pickford

Kenny     Keane       Mina     Niels

Allan     Doucoure           

Rodrigues      Gomes       Iwobi   

DCL 

Newcastle have dropped very lucky - Coleman, Rodriguez, Digne and Richarlison out of this game -  arguably our 4 best attaching outlets missing!! DCL will be feeding off scraps. Not many teams can do without 4 of their best 'in form' players. Pretty much all our attacking fluidity from our first 7 games has gone for this game. Would love the squad to prove me wrong

Think I would take a draw now if it was offered to me.

On 26/10/2020 at 15:02, AlbanyNYToffee said:

I'm a huge fan of picking a formation and sticking with it but I don't see anyway to make our backline successful if Kenny remains sidelined.

Pickford

Mina Keane Godfrey

Davies Allan Doucoure Nkounkou

James DCL Bernard

Pickford 

Kenny Mina Keane Nkounkou

Gomes Allan Delph Doucoure

DCL Bernard

Can't stand seeing Siggy and Iwobi out there. I think Gomes is the most natural replacement for James. Doucoure can be more of an attacking presence with Delph there to cover and help Nkounkou. 

1 hour ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Pickford 

Kenny Mina Keane Nkounkou

Gomes Allan Delph Doucoure

DCL Bernard

Can't stand seeing Siggy and Iwobi out there. I think Gomes is the most natural replacement for James. Doucoure can be more of an attacking presence with Delph there to cover and help Nkounkou. 

? we haven't played a 442 all year and neither gomes or doucoure work well playing wide.  4 central midfielders is a fat sam type of lineup, we are playing newcastle.  we shouldn't be parking the bus.  with kenny fit here's my preferred lineup

Pickford

Kenny Mina Keane Niels

Allan

Doucoure     Gomes

Bernard    DCL    Gordon

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

? we haven't played a 442 all year and neither gomes or doucoure work well playing wide.  4 central midfielders is a fat sam type of lineup, we are playing newcastle.  we shouldn't be parking the bus.  with kenny fit here's my preferred lineup

Pickford

Kenny Mina Keane Niels

Allan

Doucoure     Gomes

Bernard    DCL    Gordon

I'm mostly cool with that too. I've always considered it 442 cuz those were the words Carlo used. You have James Allan Doucoure Gomes across the midfield and Richie and DCL up top. I agree with you tactics-wise it rarely looks 442.

Biggest worry with the above is Gordon and Nkounkou on the same wing. An experienced team like Newcastle could cause them a lot of problems. 

My thoughts with my lineup were Gomes can go out right wing and not play any defense since he doesn't do that anyway. We can look for him when we win the ball back and he's the best outlet to get the ball to DCL or Bernard. I put Bernard as 2nd ST (LW) so he could help cover Nkounkou along with Delph. Allan goes out to cover Kenny. This puts Doucoure in the original Gomes role where he's just a little bit more free on the left hand side of CM and can facilitate more direct play and be that midfield runner into the box when Nkounkou or Kenny get forward with a cross. He's the most athletic CM we have. 

Admittedly I know next to nothing about tactics so this could get us killed 5-0 just made sense in my little pea brain. 

Pickford 

Kenny Mina Keane Neils

Doucoure Allan

Gordon Siggy Bernard

DCL

I can see a change of system due to James being unavailable. Thought long and hard for what I want to see in the line up. I want us to stick to an attacking formation rather than see us play 3 centre halves in order to compensate for the lack of experience from Neils and Kenny. A double pivot of Allan and Doucoure should suffice in covering Kenny and Neils. 

I want to see Neils get high up that left side. The opposition wont know much about him so i hope we take advantage of his ability going forward and his crossing. 

Bernard or Gordon could be on either flank, my guess is bernard on the left where he's played the most, which frees up the right for Gordon who I'd like to see push up and play just off DCL. I'd be disappointed to see Iwobi start as he has offered nothing since he arrived at the club.  

My view is that Newcastle are there for the taking.  Whenever I have watched them they have somehow snatched points from defeat rather than earning the victory.

With that in mind we need to attack them and create chances. Given that Kenny is back I wouldn't change too much from the team that Brighton. Kenny in, Niels in, two wingers in but keep the midfield and the formation the same. 

If Kenny isn't really fit then maybe 5 at the back. 

Id let Niels and Gordon loose on the left hand side. Kenny can play a more defensive role at RB. 

If im Newcastle im trying to get Saint-Maxim into the pocket between our LCB and Niels after he bombs on. Allan is going to need a big game. 
Gomes and Doucoure to complete the midfield 3. 

RW. Tough one. Who evers got the most incriminating photo of Carlo out of Gylfi, Iwobi or Bernard i guess. I'd probably rather see Bernard though.

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

My head says that without Richarlison James Digne and Coleman this is going to be a very tough day, DCL isn’t going to get the service he requires, at best this will be a battling draw I hope I’m wrong but I can’t see it. 

This is how I pretty much as see it. Tough as to travel away with 4 of our best performing players out and both flanks desimated of starting players.

Only hope is the 'others' brought in to the starting line up grab their chances and suprise us all with stella performances. My concern is that players have not been tending to do this. 

I’m not worried about Niels and Kenny, Kenny is solid enough to just worry about defending, Niels has so much pace and confidence I feel he will he making them worry and not the other way around. My issue is with who replaces richarlison and James and how we will have a lack of creativity.  That worries me.

55 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

I’m not worried about Niels and Kenny, Kenny is solid enough to just worry about defending, Niels has so much pace and confidence I feel he will he making them worry and not the other way around. My issue is with who replaces richarlison and James and how we will have a lack of creativity.  That worries me.

Pace and confidence doesn’t mean good decision making or give you the required defensive attributes. If he starts at LB he will be targeted. He is a talent and in time can could be the replacement for Digne but to think he’ll come in against any Premier League team and be up to speed and cause the opposition worry in my opinion is naive.

Just now, barryj said:

Pace and confidence doesn’t mean good decision making or give you the required defensive attributes. If he starts at LB he will be targeted. He is a talent and in time can could be the replacement for Digne but to think he’ll come in against any Premier League team and be up to speed and cause the opposition worry in my opinion is naive.

I’d agree usually but his few performances so far have been so much more than I expected. I think he’ll do well

16 minutes ago, barryj said:

15 minutes ago, Matt said:

I’d agree usually but his few performances so far have been so much more than I expected. I think he’ll do well

Yep what Matt said.  Also as far as targeting him we are missing 4 first teamers they could just as likely target Kenny and whomever plays right forward and have a go there.  

Everything needs to flow from a strong midfield, our best 3 midfielders are Gomes, Allan, and Doucoure so they need to start.

The defence, due to injury picks itself.

Which leaves the top 3. With DCL upfront who partners him, I would go for Bernard and Iwobi. Bernard because he has played well in the cups and deserves to start a league game.

Iwobi because he will probably be given this game to save his Everton career. Time to prove himself.