IGNORED

Dan James

He's fast, that's all. 

You can go to the continent (or South America) and get someone who is fast but with a ton of other attributes. This would be a lazy, half arsed signing at best. The only way I would be happy if is he came on loan first, as this is just Iwobi 2.0.

On what planet does a club bid £20+ for James but not go to the likes of Ajax to enquire about Neres?

1 hour ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

He's fast, that's all. 

You can go to the continent (or South America) and get someone who is fast but with a ton of other attributes. This would be a lazy, half arsed signing at best. The only way I would be happy if is he came on loan first, as this is just Iwobi 2.0.

On what planet does a club bid £20+ for James but not go to the likes of Ajax to enquire about Neres?

Yeah ive watched James quite a lot since he went to united and he offers very little other than pace. Lacks flair and unpredictability. He fails to make up for that with any ability to score or create. 

10 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

He's fast, that's all. 

Absolutely. A Neres or similar player can play a variety of positions plus he is a proven in champions league ect.

• 9 months later...

Diallo was set to join Feyernoord on loan, but was injured in training this week so will now stay. 

I wouldn't be going anywhere near Dan James either, he's only decent when in acres of space because he can use his pace, against a low block or organised defences he's completely wasted. The only good games he's had in a Manchester United shirt have been against Leeds, simply because he's had space to run into and attack. For me, we just wouldn't be able to play to his strengths enough.

Ironically, I think the best place for him would be Leeds United.

16 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Diallo was set to join Feyernoord on loan, but was injured in training this week so will now stay. 

I wouldn't be going anywhere near Dan James either, he's only decent when in acres of space because he can use his pace, against a low block or organised defences he's completely wasted. The only good games he's had in a Manchester United shirt have been against Leeds, simply because he's had space to run into and attack. For me, we just wouldn't be able to play to his strengths enough.

Ironically, I think the best place for him would be Leeds United.

Granted we've only had 3 games so far this season but we've clearly set up to exploit space with pace and by taking as few as passes as possible. In those games where we get increased space a player like James could be very valuable to us. Like I said before a loan deal could be beneficial for us.

1 minute ago, Vranny said:

I just don’t know how he’s managed to flop at United and then get sold for a massive profit (especially considering the current financial climate). Can we interest Leeds in Iwobi at £40M considering?

this is what someone else said in another thread.  United, chelsea, Liverpool, spurs, do this all the time.  they sell flops for big money.  everton is stuck with theirs and can never sell.  why?  

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

this is what someone else said in another thread.  United, chelsea, Liverpool, spurs, do this all the time.  they sell flops for big money.  everton is stuck with theirs and can never sell.  why?  

Because usually a "flop" at regular title contenders is often still better than a starting 11 player of a mid table team. A flop at a mid table team is only going to interest lower level teams who have less money. 

Just now, Matt said:

Because usually a "flop" at regular title contenders is often still better than a starting 11 player of a mid table team. A flop at a mid table team is only going to interest lower level teams who have less money. 

yeah i've had a think as well, i think it also has to do with them snapping up premium talent at young ages, so when they don't make the grade they are still an asset.  this is why i'm always banging the drum about buying young players and not 30 year old somethings (unless it's world class vet).

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

yeah i've had a think as well, i think it also has to do with them snapping up premium talent at young ages, so when they don't make the grade they are still an asset.  this is why i'm always banging the drum about buying young players and not 30 year old somethings (unless it's world class vet).

Well, ideally a balance between the 2. 

But also, we can't go buying all the top young talent if the more recently successful and richer clubs go for them too. 

26 minutes ago, Matt said:

Well, ideally a balance between the 2. 

But also, we can't go buying all the top young talent if the more recently successful and richer clubs go for them too. 

yeah i think that's where the "diamond in the roughs" are supposed to come in.  Everyone is going for "amazing brazilian kid" and we have no chance, so look for the french kid, or spanish or english or scottish, etc. that might be under the radar.  I love the demarai gray signing, this is what i'm talking about.  he was outta our reach, flopped, and we snapped him up on the cheap.  sometimes they just need another chance, mental coaching, some maturity (these are basically kids trying to balance adult life with work), etc.  basically it's buying lotto tickets.  you buy em cheap and buy a good amount (chelsea) and see which ones hit.  would also  be nice if the academy could produce something too

28 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

yeah i think that's where the "diamond in the roughs" are supposed to come in.  Everyone is going for "amazing brazilian kid" and we have no chance, so look for the french kid, or spanish or english or scottish, etc. that might be under the radar.  I love the demarai gray signing, this is what i'm talking about.  he was outta our reach, flopped, and we snapped him up on the cheap.  sometimes they just need another chance, mental coaching, some maturity (these are basically kids trying to balance adult life with work), etc.  basically it's buying lotto tickets.  you buy em cheap and buy a good amount (chelsea) and see which ones hit.  would also  be nice if the academy could produce something too

But a diamond in the rough is worth nothing if they're common as muck. 

Agree with the rest though, and I am very excited about Grey.