IGNORED

Leeds United (Home) Saturday 28 November

markjazzbassist

this will be a good test for us.  Leeds are an all action side who will be running through walls.  they don't have a lot of quality finishing though.  i don't rate bamford and they rely on their midfielders (helder costa, kilch, etc) for goals.  they play a 4141 formation so it will be interesting to see how we lineup.  i'd go back to the tried and true lineup of yore.  If coleman is fit he plays, if not then i'd play holgate at RB.

Olsen

Coleman/Holgate Keane Godfrey Digne

Allan

Iwobi            Doucoure

James           DCL        Richarlison

9 minutes ago, Palfy said:

It’s definitely going to be who can out score who a scary prospect, but will be exciting for the neutrals. 

was just going to say this, they have conceded 19 and scored 14, we are the opposite, have scored 19 and conceded 16.  it's gonna be a goal fest.  let's hope James DCL and Richie have their shooting boots on.

Has to be four at the back. The players aren't used to being in a five plus you'd be handing them the midfield. If James isn't fired up for it drop him Davies.

Pickford

Coleman Holgate Mina Digne

Allan

Iwobi James Doucoure Richarlison

DCL

Wouldn't mind going back to the basics. Two banks of four, no fucking about. 

Pickford

Coleman Holgate Mina Digne

Iwobi Doucoure Allan Richarlison

DCL Tosun

4 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

was just going to say this, they have conceded 19 and scored 14, we are the opposite, have scored 19 and conceded 16.  it's gonna be a goal fest.  let's hope James DCL and Richie have their shooting boots on.

Perhaps we need to get Shukester to send Carlo his coaching video on defending 😂

Richarlison is going to be key for this game. We need to win our 1 on 1 battles going forward. 

Hopefully Coleman is back for this one and Holgate comes in for Mina. 

Also I've gone for Olsen as Leeds seem to like those narrow, deep crosses. Olsen seems much more confident coming off his line. 

Olsen

Coleman Keane Holgate Digne

Allan James Doucoure

Iwobi DCL Richarlison

They seem to struggle in wide areas so plenty of crosses in would be ideal and getting the ball up in the air quickly to Dom i think would help. 

Generally speaking we should be concerned with the defending. However we shouldn't have expected to see a marked improvement against Fulham. All 4 of our preferred starters went away on international duty (and Seamus came back injured) so what exactly was Carlo to work on? I think it's really important we keep Leeds to 1 goal and keep the clean sheet against Burnley heading into the December fixture gauntlet. 

Also for Fulham the 2nd half was discouraging but predictable. Richarlison, James, Allan, Mina all just back from across the world and playing big minutes and/or suffering a small injury (Allan). We went up 3-1 and took our foot off the pedal when we went into half, couldn't get the legs back. I expect much more energy with a week of rest. We're going to need it - Leeds play like wolverines.  

52 minutes ago, Btay said:

There’s going to be goals in it. Hopefully for us aswell. There’s every chance we can pick them off as they rush forward.

I'm hoping we contain them, frustrate them and hit them on the counter rather than try to outscore them. 

Let them have the ball and limit the space. That's where they've struggled this season, Leicester, Wolves and Palace have shown this. 

I think carlo will know this and therefore I'll be surprised if it is a high scoring game, unless one team completely implodes. 

They're a good team, and will stay up, but nowhere near the team everyone seems to be making them out to be. 

If I was preparing for this game I would be looking at the following:

Strengths

1. Energy and commitment. They do not stop running and its not just jogging around the pitch, its sprinting. You won't get away with anyone playing half arsed. 

2. They get forward. Its very rare that they don't have 3 or 4 players breaking into the box. It also means they drag players out of position. We have been guilty in the last 2 games of getting too many players ball watching and dropping in too deep. If that continues against Leeds they will find players in space.

3. They are also very disciplined. This doesn't mean they don't concede chances because they do, but as a unit they don't give up on their defensive duties. You have to move the ball quickly and directly otherwise they will be back in numbers. 

In my mind, I would be looking to match them for energy and pace. That means definitely no Siggy, Gomes or Davies. Any of them play and its a car crash. If there was a game made for a Holgate/Godfrey in midfield, this would probably be it. 

I would also have massive reservations about James playing. I will say more on this in a second but game after game his defensive effort is going down and he won't get away with it against Leeds. We certainly then can't put Iwobi behind him and think it will be OK. 

At the back, its a game that might suit the craziness of Mina more than Keane. Keane's eyes will pop out of his head trying to deal with Leeds attacks. Id have some serious reservations about how our back line will cope. Again it might be a game for Holgate with his aggressiveness over Keane's hesitancy. 

Leeds do also have plenty of weaknesses as well:

1. Individually they arent great footballers. They make poor decisions, they have average technique and they fluff their lines. They will make mistakes and these mistakes can be exploited. I do like Klich and Raphina. Koch could turn out to be decent as well but the rest are Championship players. 

2. They play man-to-man. This is where the likes of Richarlison and particularly James can come into their own. If you beat your man, someone will be free and then its about using the overlap/overload and finding the right pass / finish. On a 1 to 1 basis every one of our players is better than theirs. Leicester played through them superbly and even Arsenal when they were down to 10 were able to hit them on very direct counter attacks when that first man missed the tackle.

3. I fancy Dom to win almost every challenge up against their CBs. One of them is a yard dog and the other is a bit fancy (Koch). He had a field day against Fulham and he could do the same against Leeds with quick direct service. 

I think it will be a great game to watch but at the same time I will probably be hiding behind the sofa for most of it.

41 minutes ago, Aidan said:

I'm hoping we contain them, frustrate them and hit them on the counter rather than try to outscore them. 

Let them have the ball and limit the space. That's where they've struggled this season, Leicester, Wolves and Palace have shown this. 

I think carlo will know this and therefore I'll be surprised if it is a high scoring game, unless one team completely implodes. 

They're a good team, and will stay up, but nowhere near the team everyone seems to be making them out to be. 

It’s the containing part it seems myself and almost everyone else is worried about. Right now we are heavily reliant on out scoring teams to get points.

23 hours ago, Btay said:

It’s the containing part it seems myself and almost everyone else is worried about. Right now we are heavily reliant on out scoring teams to get points.

Yeah agreed, especially with us not knowing what our best pairing at centre half is. 

I still see containing them the best way to approach the game, but it's much easier said than done. 

5 hours ago, Btay said:

Digne is a big loss.

Pickford 

Godfrey      Coin Flip       Holgate

Iwobi    Doucoure      Allan    Nkounkou

James               DCL          Richarlison 

flip a coin between Keane or Mina, both been rubbish of late. 

Keane comfortably. He’s been our best CB for months, and even though he’s had a few bad games (like most) he’s more reliable than Mina

7 hours ago, Btay said:

Digne is a big loss.

Pickford 

We're in for a few heart-attacks in this game. Not looking forward to it at all.

12 hours ago, Btay said:

Digne is a big loss.

Pickford 

I hate a back 3 about as much as anyone but it’s our best formation with both full backs out injured. When Seamus comes back I’d like us to go back to 4. 

11 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

We're in for a few heart-attacks in this game. Not looking forward to it at all.

6 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

I hate a back 3 about as much as anyone but it’s our best formation with both full backs out injured. When Seamus comes back I’d like us to go back to 4. 

Everton though, we will keep a clean sheet in the game we are least likely too.

Regardless, I trust Caro has been drilling it into the boys this week.

Agree with your formation @Btay, looks like we will be forced to play it and probably with the players you mentioned.

It's time for Nkounkou to swim or sink. Leeds probably isnt going to be the worse game for him to start of with offensively, but defensively i worry!

We never know, carlo might choose to put Iwobi, Bernard, Davies or even Richarlison there. 

Wouldnt it be beautiful if Baines was signed on a short term deal and his last game at Goodison actually had fans present this time?