IGNORED

Dele

RuffRob

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k477OphzLQA

While he’s definitely not the playmaking No. 10 we’ve all been hoping for since God knows when, two things get me excited about this video of his 50 PL goals:

1. He actually knows how to time and adjust his runs, something that no one else on our squad is capable of doing consistently (how many times do we see DCL whiff at balls because he was a millisecond too late?).

2. He reacts to the ball better than anyone else on our squad. I never realized how like Kane he is in that respect; so many of these goals are just him predicting exactly where the ball will ricochet and tapping it home.

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

Is he that good of a footballer though? 

For me, he isn't, but he reads the game really well and gets himself on the end of things. He can finish too.

I'm not sure what his other qualities are. 

Technically he’s a good footballer. His last few seasons haven’t been great but if we can unlock whatever is was that got him producing the numbers from his early seasons he could be exactly what we need.

1 hour ago, nyblue23 said:

While he’s definitely not the playmaking No. 10 we’ve all been hoping for since God knows when, two things get me excited about this video of his 50 PL goals:

1. He actually knows how to time and adjust his runs, something that no one else on our squad is capable of doing consistently (how many times do we see DCL whiff at balls because he was a millisecond too late?).

2. He reacts to the ball better than anyone else on our squad. I never realized how like Kane he is in that respect; so many of these goals are just him predicting exactly where the ball will ricochet and tapping it home.

Those are quality goals.

1 hour ago, RPG said:

So, we have just bought another Ross Barkley?

I think Barkley is a special level of thick but I would still think Lampard of all people could be a positive influence on him. Lets just try and get behind this lad, he has cost naught and in the 19 games to come he has the quality to get us further up the table

6 hours ago, plaidharper said:

Also he is cup tied and we do not have 20 games left.  So technically he could help us stay up and we could sell him for straight profit in the summer.  Makes me wonder if there is a sell on fee in the contract?

I am sure Levy is shrewed enough to make sure he does not miss out. 

37 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

I am sure Levy is shrewed enough to make sure he does not miss out. 

Yeah Spurs will be getting something out of this deal 100%. Levy is the tightest owner in football.

Edit: probably should have phrased that slightly differently, but I'm going to leave it as is.

48 minutes ago, Pascal Chimbonda said:

Spurs fan in peace here. I think the way this has been structured is best for all concerned.

Alli has had Poch, Mourinho, Nuno and now Conte try to get a tune out of him again. The first thing Lampard needs to do is ban his smart phone and playstation. Alli is the opposite of Lampard in terms of work ethic, and I can see him losing his **** with Alli after a month or two. 

I hope I am wrong. He was like the Milton Keynes Gazza. Played with such freedom. His game is pure instinct when on song. I hope Lampard recognises that, as I think he went about the game very differently in terms of practice. 

Breaks my heart to see him go, but he needed to. I hope he does well for you and gets back in an England shirt. I just can't see it happening.

Cheers, the beauty of this deal is that if he doesn't perform back to his best sort of level, the cost to us will be much lesser.

I imangine it will be linked to games played, goals scored, European qualification and potentially England recalls.

Hopefully the change will give him the motivation to get his career back on track. 

8 hours ago, nyblue23 said:

I didn't realise he scored so many headers to be honest

19 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

He was great under Poch, a high press, possession based manager and not so great under more defensive Mourinho, Nuno and Conte. 

As the team develops, Lampard will be looking to play far more like Poch did. So in time the team is going to suit Alli far more.

Looking at the training video on the clubs YouTube channel it looks like he’s going for the high press from day one. 

2 hours ago, StevO said:

Looking at the training video on the clubs YouTube channel it looks like he’s going for the high press from day one. 

No fucking around with Frank then!!! Brave if he goes for such a big change from day one.

Newcastle (a), Leeds(h) and Southampton(a) coming up is a big run of winnable games. However, all losable games as well. Premier league is not very forgiving. 

7 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

No fucking around with Frank then!!! Brave if he goes for such a big change from day one.

Newcastle (a), Leeds(h) and Southampton(a) coming up is a big run of winnable games. However, all losable games as well. Premier league is not very forgiving. 

He has no option but to go for it. This is not a time for pussy-footing around.

7 hours ago, RuffRob said:

Cheers, the beauty of this deal is that if he doesn't perform back to his best sort of level, the cost to us will be much lesser.

I imangine it will be linked to games played, goals scored, European qualification and potentially England recalls.

Hopefully the change will give him the motivation to get his career back on track. 

Alli has hardly played since Mourinho dropped him so maybe wanted out when he didn't figure in subsequent managers' plans. Possibly a less public falling out to that of Digne.

2 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

If Lampard goes with a three man midfield our defence won't look anywhere near as porous. Our midfield situation has been as much to blame for us conceding stupid goals as much as the defence is.

Our problem with the high press is we haven’t got the pace with the likes of Keane and Mina at the back when they are pressing near the half way line, they haven’t got the legs to chase a ball played over the top, we could be leaving ourselves wide open having to defend so far up the field.  The midfield won’t be helping the back 4 when there 15yrds or more and pressing in unison to a ball over the top, you can only defend that with pace in the back 4. 

2 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

For that very reason, I suspect we're going to see a much younger back four starting each game. I expect there to be changes not only in midfield but also in defence.

Yep, surely Godfrey will have to be one of the two starting center halfs if we're going to play a high press

4 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

For that very reason, I suspect we're going to see a much younger back four starting each game. I expect there to be changes not only in midfield but also in defence.

There has to be we’ve defended a very deep line for a few years now, I would love to see us playing our football more in the opposition’s half than camped in our own. 

21 hours ago, Aidan said:

I suppose sometimes that's all you need. If he can contribute to 15 or 20 goals a season I wouldn't be too concerned how good he is in other areas. If he doesn't it could be a problem. Whenever I think of him I recall that goal he scored where he flicked it over his head and volleyed it into the net from outside the box. That was a beautiful goal.

I agree, it kept Cahill in the team for years! 

21 hours ago, MikeO said:

But it's no cash at all if he flops (free transfer initially), will only be big cash if he/we have a lot of success, no brainer.

You don't know that though Mike. We have no idea how this deal is broken down and Spurs wont be getting rid of him for peanuts.

17 hours ago, Btay said:

Technically he’s a good footballer. His last few seasons haven’t been great but if we can unlock whatever is was that got him producing the numbers from his early seasons he could be exactly what we need.

Is he? I don't think he is anything special in that respect. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Our problem with the high press is we haven’t got the pace with the likes of Keane and Mina at the back when they are pressing near the half way line, they haven’t got the legs to chase a ball played over the top, we could be leaving ourselves wide open having to defend so far up the field.  The midfield won’t be helping the back 4 when there 15yrds or more and pressing in unison to a ball over the top, you can only defend that with pace in the back 4. 

Pace isnt a prerequisite for a high line. Stones plays in one of the highest lines in the league.

Thiago Silva isnt rapid but still presses high at Chelsea. 

You either need pace or something between the ears. Im not sure ours have either but there you go 🤣🤣 

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

You don't know that though Mike. We have no idea how this deal is broken down and Spurs wont be getting rid of him for peanuts.

Widely reported that no fee payable until £/€(depending on who you believe)10m after he's played twenty games; so I don't know it because I wasn't involved in the negotiations but it seems a fair bet.