IGNORED

Burnley (Away) Saturday 5 December

markjazzbassist

We are both in bad form so it will be interesting to see which side finds it.  I'm not sure what we will do with the formation.  I would prefer to throw Niels in the fire and risk it with Kenny (can't believe i said that) in a back 4.  Let's hope we can get some points here.  I'd like to go back to the midfield 3 that started off our campaign successfully.

Olsen

Kenny Godfrey Holgate Niels

Allan

Doucoure Gomes

James        DCL      Richarlison

Burnley are hard work but they lacking in quality. Personally I wouldn't fancy either Godfrey or Holgate up against Wood, but Allan will need to make sure he sits just in front of the CBs to fight for those second balls and stop them getting good possession. We need to really press up the pitch too, the last thing we want to do is give them the opportunity of putting balls into the box because we are sat too deep.

McNeil is their only real player of quality. Stop him swinging balls in and you can stop most of the good balls into the box.

In terms of our attacking play, we just need our front three to look like they have played with each other and they will create enough chances to win the game. We don't want to be just lumping balls into DCL because they will deal with him better than most sides in the league. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Thought you’d sold Kenny? Davies did enough to keep his spot in my opinion. I’d rather have Holgate at RB with Godfrey and Keane though. 

Id maybe bench James too, he’s not in form and Burnley will kick lumps out of him

I did but we don’t have a RB and I’d rather not see Davies or delph there.  Burnley are home so they will have to do something other than a parked bus so we’ll need fullbacks that can defend.

35 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Hopefully we revert back to 433. The only drama with that though is the inexperience in the full back positions. I know Carlo is reluctant to play Kenny and Neils but I can't see a better option.

Pickford

Kenny Mina Keane Neils

James Allan Doucoure

Iwobi DCL Richarlison

I agree with this. I'm not sure Keane and Mina are the best pairing but at least they are big lads who are good in the air.

The change I would make is that I wouldn't have James in midfield. He is enough of a liability as it is and that would leave us more exposed. I think I would keep it even simpler and just go back to Gomes and move James forward in place of Iwobi. If we need a goal then Iwobi can come on for Kenny to add a bit more quality going forward.

I wouldn't be massively confident with Gomes but we don't have a lot of options. If we need to go defensive we can bring on Delph and if we need to attack more we can bring on Bernard.

Olsen

Godfrey Holgate Keane Niels

Davies Allan Doucoure

James DCL Richarlison

full credit to Jordan he was excellent against Leeds. Doesn’t change my feelings though, just one game. We’ve tried Gomes and Siggy already, they’re not the answer. Doucoure can cover Niels with his engine. Hopefully Godfrey can do ok at rb as it’s ‘just’ Burnley. Get Seamus back for Chelsea. 

Niels to open them up with Richarilson down the left, DCL to have so many crosses coming his way he doesn't know what to do with them.  James to spend 90 minutes sweeping the ball their way and Pickford to light up a cigar and sit in the stands.

One can dream.

I'm pretty confident we'll put them away though I'm going to say a rare clean sheet with a 3-0 win.

2 for DCL, one for James or Richarlison

Not sure on line up, I fancied the 3 at the back again as it gives Niels some cover to really attack them but perhaps with more possession likely in this game and 3/5 man defence not doing wonders for us it might be better to go back to 4 and accept the risk allowing an extra man in midfield to give help control the game more.

Pickford

Godfrey   Holgate  Keane  Niels

Allan    Doucoure

Iwobi           James           Richarlison

DCL

For me James is better with that freedom to move around and dictate things from the middle so rather than leaving a hole on the right when he comes in I'd go Iwobi there.  He did a great job against Fulham and having spent a couple of weeks doing defensive duties he's capable of helping to cover down that wing whilst getting forward plenty too.

Pickford 

Holgate  Godfrey    Keane      Niels 

Iwobi    Allan    Doucoure 

James             DCL         Richarlison 

right now, we will only win games from scoring goals. Not comfortable with kenny only because I think Burnley will be looking for goals from set pieces and holgates a great defender to cover james. Iwobi deserves a run out and can over lap james, would contest the left hand side if he was over there. 

Hoping to see a 4-3-3 formation.

Playing wing backs who aren’t wing backs really didn’t work.

Wood and Barnes are strong and good in the air so tempted to put Mina back in. Both forwards aren’t blessed with pace so Mina should cope.

I was worried seeing Iwobi and Davies start last week but both were played out of position.

I see a few have dropped Picked in their preferred XI? Unsure to why as he was more than okay last week.

My team would be.

...............Pickford........

Godfrey .....Keane...Mina....Niels.

........Iwobi....Allan.....Dacoure 

James..........DCL........Richy.

Considering the horrendous start Burnley have made to the season, any team we put out should be capable of competing and getting the job done - I'm not exactly sold about one or two of the positions but as I said, I'd expect us to at least compete.

Not sure what's happened with Olsen? Came into the squad and stated that Carlo had a plan for him, yet he's suddenly dropped from the squad altogether and Lossl is back - strange. 

Can’t say I am overly happy at seeing Delph starting, but if he’s playing LB or LWB and Iwobi on the opposite flank, it’s more balanced than last week, although we could see 433 with James in the middle of midfield, Allan and Doucoure doing the leg work, Richy and Iwobi on the flanks feeding the Dom.