IGNORED

World Cup Qatar 2022

49 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Just what you thought back in 2010 when we topped the group 😎

Obviously Qatar would've been my first pick, but England was my second. Why wouldn't I want us to go up against the side that always bottles it? 😂

If Wales get in the group you boys aren’t progressing, you need to hope it’s Scotland or Ukraine to have any chance😉

Just saying....

Strong similarities between the groups this year and in 2010. Have already been seeing English pundits basically echoing this sentiment, that England got off easy this year.

Iran won't be a pushover either. Love all you Brits, but there is an arrogance when it comes to the national team, particularly when they're up against supposedly "weaker" teams, i.e. Iceland in 2016.

It's the World Cup, anything can happen.

11 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Just saying....

Strong similarities between the groups this year and in 2010. Have already been seeing English pundits basically echoing this sentiment, that England got off easy this year.

Iran won't be a pushover either. Love all you Brits, but there is an arrogance when it comes to the national team, particularly when they're up against supposedly "weaker" teams, i.e. Iceland in 2016.

Point taken but picture removed, content from that comic isn't allowed.

USA will be a tricky game, the Americans will see it as a derby and be fired up, plus they're not the "soccerball, let's go team" cringe that they used to be, they're actually a really decent outfit. Given that we will be going to the World Cup the the hope to win it, I'd expect us to beat the US but would honestly stress that it won't be a walk in the park - my bet at this early stage would perhaps be a 1-0/2-1.

Iran are very, very good defensively but I don't think any top team would (or should fear them). Without sounding arrogant, they will have no realistic ambitions of getting into the deep stages of the tournament and should prove little to no threat to England - given how good they are at the back I'll stick my neck out and say 2-0.

Wales and Scotland will be big games just because of the inferiority complex that those two countries have to England, but Ukraine (should they make it) would be the easiest nation to face. Given how we seemed to give Scotland so much respect in the Euros (and Wales in the same tournament a few years earlier) I'd expect a draw.

In a nutshell I'm made up with our group and expect us to finish 1st. That said, I don't for one second think we'll be winning 8-0 and taking the piss out of anyone.

15 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Just saying....

I think we saw to an extent at the Euros that these perceived "inferior" teams are a lot more organised and tactically astute than they have been for a long time. Just ask the Italians!

I still think England have a lot of questions to answer at the back but they should be able to go toe for toe in attack against any side in the world. Southgate is our manager so we wont. We will try and keep it tight and hope to score one of our chances. 

At the Euros, I don't think England really played that well in any of the games but they did enough (I didn't see the Ukraine game). The games against Denmark, a well below-par Germany, the Czechs, Scotland and Croatia could have easily gone against us. I suspect that will be the same at the World Cup.

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Are you sure 😉

My big brother wasn't born either so I'm fairly certain;)

So wanted them to qualify when Nev, Rats and Dai van den Hauwe were playing for them but they always fell just short; they were second best for most of the game today and got a very lucky goal, but it's deserved historically.

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

My big brother wasn't born either so I'm fairly certain;)

So wanted them to qualify when Nev, Rats and Dai van den Hauwe were playing for them but they always fell just short; they were second best for most of the game today and got a very lucky goal, but it's deserved historically.

You may find this unbelievable but neither was I. Historically on paper from the 80s through to early teens of the  2000s on paper Wales have had some great squads. As you I would have dearly loved to have seen big Nev play in the World Cup, and what a sight it would have been to see Van den hauwe sorting the Argentinians out they would have met their match against him. 

18 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I'm thrilled to see Wales get the final spot in our group, since Ukraine looked a far better and more dangerous team.

Gutted for Ukraine, but once again Zinchenko was outstanding. Get him in, please.

England lack the passion of a Wales. I'm looking forward to Wales upsetting an over-confident England team. :)

25 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

England lack the passion of a Wales. I'm looking forward to Wales upsetting an over-confident England team. :)

I don’t think it will happen.  Not that it couldn’t.   If Southgate grows an arse or if we get a better manager in, we could blow you away and many other teams. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

I don’t think it will happen.  Not that it couldn’t.   If Southgate grows an arse or if we get a better manager in, we could blow you away and many other teams. 

I promise not to be too anti-England and pro-Wales, but I wanted to counter-balance the pro-England Wales-is-weak narrative. :) England has a good team, if only they could instill some fire in their bellies. Wales (and Scotland) have less talent but a lot more fire. I wonder whether it's time we had a combined British team.

3 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I promise not to be too anti-England and pro-Wales, but I wanted to counter-balance the pro-England Wales-is-weak narrative. :) England has a good team, if only they could instill some fire in their bellies. Wales (and Scotland) have less talent but a lot more fire. I wonder whether it's time we had a combined British team.

I think we do have fire in the bellies, just a very negative manager. 

7 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Fuck that.

When you're not English, it's very interesting to see how the press report. When Andy Murray wins, he's British; when he loses, he's Scottish. When Emma Raducanu wins, she's English; when she loses, she's British. Have you ever noticed that?

I've not seen it once with Raducanu, so you'll have to show me that one.

When you're not English, it's very interesting to see how the press report. When Andy Murray wins, he's British; when he loses, he's Scottish. When Emma Raducanu wins, she's English; when she loses, she's British. Have you ever noticed that?

Doesn't bear scrutiny, three days ago.

Surbiton Trophy: Britain's Andy Murray loses semi-final to American Denis Kudla

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/61690596

Last September.

Emma Raducanu, the 18-year-old who began her campaign in qualifying as the world number 150, is the US Open champion having stormed through the tournament without dropping a set.

The teenager is the first British woman to win a Grand Slam singles title since Virginia Wade's Wimbledon triumph in 1977, some 44 years ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/tennis/54517115#:~:text=Emma Raducanu%2C the 18-year,1977%2C some 44 years ago.

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I've not seen it once with Raducanu, so you'll have to show me that one.

Because it'd be factually incorrect; her father is Romanian and her mother is Chinese and she was born in Canada. She's a British citizen having moved here with her parents when she was two, but she's not English.

On 06/06/2022 at 13:41, Hafnia said:

Who would you have as an England manager? I can't come up with a name.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Do you think he would take it as this stage of his career?

I agree with you though, I would love to see it.

I think so yeah. I think we would win the World Cup with him. Can’t stand Southgate, his reaction to grealish performance was appalling. It’s as though he doesnt want him to do well. 

On 10/06/2022 at 22:53, Hafnia said:

I think so yeah. I think we would win the World Cup with him. Can’t stand Southgate, his reaction to grealish performance was appalling. It’s as though he doesnt want him to do well. 

I certainly think we would have a much better chance. 

I am no fan of Southgate either. I feel like his approach is more about getting us to a certain stage of the competition rather than going and winning it. It has worked, and we almost won something but I would love to see this group of players really have a go at teams.