IGNORED

World Cup Qatar 2022

On 15/11/2022 at 15:00, Cornish Steve said:

Boycotts are a tricky subject, especially when it comes to business. I'm so grateful to corporations that stand up for what's right and publicly protest against rogue practices and regimes; however, it's not easy to decide when and how far to go, and someone's always quick to criticize either way. If I had the means to attend the World Cup, I probably would in most countries, but I would most likely choose to avoid countries with such a poor record on human rights as Qatar. So was I right to travel to Vietnam on business, or Venezuela? What about Cuba? I've not yet chosen to avoid a country for business travel, but leisure travel is different.

It's not always a country though, the more I think about it the more I think I'm just going to boycott any fifa event just because of the evil that is fifa. 

On 16/11/2022 at 18:49, Matt said:

It's not always a country though, the more I think about it the more I think I'm just going to boycott any fifa event just because of the evil that is fifa. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/world-cup-qataris-want-complete-stadium-beer-ban-f5bcjprqh

This is the shit I mean, they did something similar in Brazil. No matter your views on their (Qatar) customs, its disgusting that fifa do this. You can't force change, you educate and debate. You sure as shit can't disrespect an entire culture to sell beer. 

33 minutes ago, Matt said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/world-cup-qataris-want-complete-stadium-beer-ban-f5bcjprqh

This is the shit I mean, they did something similar in Brazil. No matter your views on their (Qatar) customs, its disgusting that fifa do this. You can't force change, you educate and debate. You sure as shit can't disrespect an entire culture to sell beer. 

On the bright side, a Budweiser ban would save people from having to drink the dishwater.

4 hours ago, Matt said:

So what are the odds that England fans will respect a beer ban?

There's an article on the BBC Sports site about the Welsh team and uniqueness of Welsh fans, the importance of the Welsh language, and how important to the Welsh is this distinctiveness. It made me remember how, before many national sports games, the Welsh fans sing hymns at full volume. How is that going to go down in Qatar, I wonder? Will there be a ban on singing hymns?

Corruption rife already, nothing wrong with that goal from Ecuador.

Edit: 2-0 to Ecuador at half time, Valencia with a brace so should have had a first half hat-trick. Qatar are absolutely abysmal and wouldn't look out of place in League Two or even the National League, they're second to everything and so off the pace with an erratic 'keeper for good measure. Wouldn't surprise me if they fail to score in this tournament which would be exactly what they deserve.

1 hour ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Corruption rife already, nothing wrong with that goal from Ecuador.

Edit: 2-0 to Ecuador at half time, Valencia with a brace so should have had a first half hat-trick. Qatar are absolutely abysmal and wouldn't look out of place in League Two or even the National League, they're second to everything and so off the pace with an erratic 'keeper for good measure. Wouldn't surprise me if they fail to score in this tournament which would be exactly what they deserve.

It's not the players fault. Their country should never have been the host, thus they shouldn't be playing in this tournament, so you have to sort of feel for them.

And the disallowed goal didn't really have anything to do with corruption. With the fancy new technology, his leg was shown to be offside. Do I agree with the call? Absolutely not, 90% of his body was onside. But we will probably see many more of those types of calls over the coming weeks, so I don't see any corruption in it. 

If Kane does not wear it, it will send out the message we weren't that bothered about it.

Fifa have known for a long time what we had in mind and said nothing till 24 hours before the game.

One man does not run world football, tell him to do one, and wear it, pass it pound the team and all take a booking, its only one game, make them change dont back down.

No battle was ever won without sacrifice. Infantino has shown with his rants he is a clueless bully.  

4 minutes ago, Tonsta said:

If Kane does not wear it, it will send out the message we weren't that bothered about it.

Fifa have known for a long time what we had in mind and said nothing till 24 hours before the game.

One man does not run world football, tell him to do one, and wear it, pass it pound the team and all take a booking, its only one game, make them change dont back down.

No battle was ever won without sacrifice. Infantino has shown with his rants he is a clueless bully.  

If the ref's had anything about them they'd refuse to give the booking out too. It's absolutely ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

If he does wear it, does he get the booking and have to take it off, or can he keep it on?

I absolutely think he should go out wearing it. The pictures will go all round the world. It's a massive statement.

Not that he's looking for it, but Kane would achieve iconic status. It would also embarrass FIFA - no bad thing. Utterly corrupt organisation.

I don't understand the 7 countries that have buckled to Infantino, and his corrupt group, at the threat of a yellow card, not decapitation, a yellow card.

Take it, after all the fuss afterwards they would have to back down or lose there tournament, and if it carries on make someone else captain in the next game.

We are playing Iran, not Brazil, this is so spineless, and i can only apologise to those who have campaigned for so long to put things right.

Whatever the FA come out with they have sold us all down the river, at the threat of a yellow card, they have disgraced them selves and us.

31 minutes ago, Tonsta said:

I don't understand the 7 countries that have buckled to Infantino, and his corrupt group, at the threat of a yellow card, not decapitation, a yellow card.

Take it, after all the fuss afterwards they would have to back down or lose there tournament, and if it carries on make someone else captain in the next game.

We are playing Iran, not Brazil, this is so spineless, and i can only apologise to those who have campaigned for so long to put things right.

Whatever the FA come out with they have sold us all down the river, at the threat of a yellow card, they have disgraced them selves and us.

Agree with all this. Right now is the time to stand up to FIFA, not back down. The yellow card means nothing; its significance, everything.  

What a strange thing to have to change the lyrics to your national anthem depending on who is currently leading an outdated and archaic monarchy. Saw a few players say Queen. 

All due to respect to you friends here, but I'll be rooting for Iran here. Not for sporting reasons, but for what I saw during their national anthem. Iranians weeping in the crowd, stern defiance on the players faces and not one singing of the anthem.