IGNORED

Arsenal (Home) Saturday 19 December

markjazzbassist

Arsenal have been up and down (mostly down) under Arteta this season.  I'm feeling more confident for this one, i think they have a weak backline and if xhaka plays he adds to that weakness.  they are low on confidence, let's have a go.  i'm not sure on lineup with the injuries so i'll post my lineup later after leicester.

Arsenal are an odd team at the moment. They are really well coached and organised but it is stifling their creativity and to be perfectly blunt, I don't think their young players are actually that good (yet). 

I think you play against Arsenal in the same way you do against Leicester/Chelsea in that you sit off them and let them have the ball and hit them on the counter. They don't have any creative players. Aubamayang is a finisher, Lacazette is too. Willian is the one that tries to do things but he is at the end of his career and doesn't have a lot to play with. If you make it difficult for them to pass through you their only real chance will be a set piece or a wonder strike from Aubamayang. 

When it comes to scoring against them, I haven't seen a glaring weakness. As I have said, I don't think their young players are that good so you can beat them for quality. Their back 3 is solid (assuming Luiz doesn't play), and I particularly like Gabriel and Tierney. The former has a slightly strange tendency to try and be too delicate on low crosses into the box. I have seen him just try and glance a ball into the box and miss it but generally it has been enough to put off the striker so anyone running behind him needs to gamble. Tierney is also a short arse, so DCL will get the better of him if you can get them in an aerial match. 

I am a little mixed about Ceballos and Xhaka as a central midfield pair. They have been quite good but they get outnumbered. Xhaka will do something a bit silly but he is playing well and they are both direct with their passing. I'm not sure what is happening with Partey after his injury the other night but he looks decent.

Ultimately I think they are another side that needs to find a way to play with 4 at the back so that they can add some creativity into that midfield. Until they do that they are very reliant on taking the few chances they get. 

22 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Arsenal have been up and down (mostly down) under Arteta this season.  I'm feeling more confident for this one, i think they have a weak backline and if xhaka plays he adds to that weakness.  they are low on confidence, let's have a go.  i'm not sure on lineup with the injuries so i'll post my lineup later after leicester.

Knowing our luck they will have sacked Arteta and bounced back with a caretaker boss, if we play them with Mikel still at the helm then we should walk all over them as they've been abysmal this season. I think that Arteta has the nous to be a good coach, but the club itself is such a mess for anybody going there. 

1 hour ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Knowing our luck they will have sacked Arteta and bounced back with a caretaker boss, if we play them with Mikel still at the helm then we should walk all over them as they've been abysmal this season. I think that Arteta has the nous to be a good coach, but the club itself is such a mess for anybody going there. 

I dont think they have been THAT abysmal. They should have won today, they were the better side against Spurs but got done by a wonder strike and a defensive midfielder taking himself off in the middle of a counter attack. They played against Leeds with 10 men for 40 minutes too and they deservedly beat Utd. I didnt watch enough of the Villa and Wolves defeats to be able to comment. 

They are a team that need a spark and if they get it they could be dangerous but I really don't see where it is coming from and especially not when you get idiots like Xhaka doing that. 

31 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I dont think they have been THAT abysmal. They should have won today, they were the better side against Spurs but got done by a wonder strike and a defensive midfielder taking himself off in the middle of a counter attack. They played against Leeds with 10 men for 40 minutes too and they deservedly beat Utd. I didnt watch enough of the Villa and Wolves defeats to be able to comment. 

They are a team that need a spark and if they get it they could be dangerous but I really don't see where it is coming from and especially not when you get idiots like Xhaka doing that. 

Just watching MOTD I'm amazed Elneni didn't get a red as well, I think if Xhaka hadn't already gone he would have. Very poor from the ref.

6 minutes ago, MikeO said:

If you were to do the decent thing and donate your seat to a deserving person (mentioning no names:otvwhistle:) lots of people would say nice things about you:D

@StevO and @Hafnia would slag you off big time though:P

You actually can't, even if he wanted to, because you have to show photo ID with a name that matches your season ticket :P.

There a team with no heart or soul, Arteta has lost the dressing room there are rumblings from the senior players, and it’s reported he doesn’t even speak to Luize.

We should be able to take advantage of their turmoil at home with the fans behind us and another great team performance not many will match us for intensity and belief. 
The only thing that could give them some hope is that they sack Arteta before the game, and the players go out to try and prove it wasn’t down to them, and if he’s still there and we win it will probably be his last game in charge. 

34 minutes ago, Palfy said:

There a team with no heart or soul, Arteta has lost the dressing room there are rumblings from the senior players, and it’s reported he doesn’t even speak to Luize.

We should be able to take advantage of their turmoil at home with the fans behind us and another great team performance not many will match us for intensity and belief. 
The only thing that could give them some hope is that they sack Arteta before the game, and the players go out to try and prove it wasn’t down to them, and if he’s still there and we win it will probably be his last game in charge. 

They are so far off the team they think they are. Wonder if Gabriel regrets not coming to us at the moment.

6 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

he acts like he never even played here.  like he came from spain and went straight to arsenal.  i hate people like that.  he doesn't have to wear the shirt or anything but at least acknowledge us.

We resurrected his career he was going nowhere in Spain, I hope he wears Everton PJs like Rooney did when he was at Utd. 

Gabriel now out due to sending off. 

Do we go at them a bit more, or do we stay on the back foot again and try and hit them on the break. If Coleman is fit, then he starts for me, and I would tempted to play James ahead of Siggy in the middle. Just because James has linked well with Coleman. I would just be a little bolder (and different) to how we have played in the last two games against an out of form Arsenal. 

Olsen 

Coleman  Keane  Mina  Godfrey 

Doucoure      Davies

Iwobi           James       Richarlison

DCL