IGNORED

Arsenal (Home) Saturday 19 December

markjazzbassist

30 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

Gabriel now out due to sending off. 

Do we go at them a bit more, or do we stay on the back foot again and try and hit them on the break. If Coleman is fit, then he starts for me, and I would tempted to play James ahead of Siggy in the middle. Just because James has linked well with Coleman. I would just be a little bolder (and different) to how we have played in the last two games against an out of form Arsenal. 

Olsen 

Coleman  Keane  Mina  Godfrey 

Doucoure      Davies

Iwobi           James       Richarlison

DCL

I'd go a bit more attacking but I'd still be wanting to invite them onto us at the same time tbh. The pressure is on them massively to get something, so let them come at us and then blitz them as they fanny about with it. They're shite and we should be a little bolder, as you say.

I hope to see Pickford back in for this one as well.

Also, Arsenal have Man City 4 days after this game in the cup, then chelsea.

We have Man United 4 days after ( Man U have a 3 day turn around )

Its rare that the fixtures favour us but we can’t complain here. 

I don’t know if arteta can risk being dumped out of a cup right now or a loss to us. We might need to consider a bit of rotation for either Arsenal or Man U. DCL, Richarlison & Doucoure have been through a mountain of work.

If James is fit I would bring him in second half to get some fitness and offer another gear.  Other than that play the lineup that’s winnjng

Olsen

holgate Mina keane godfrey

Doucoure Gomes

Gylfi

iwobi            DCL       Richarlison

7 hours ago, Btay said:

Also, Arsenal have Man City 4 days after this game in the cup, then chelsea.

We have Man United 4 days after ( Man U have a 3 day turn around )

Its rare that the fixtures favour us but we can’t complain here. 

I don’t know if arteta can risk being dumped out of a cup right now or a loss to us. We might need to consider a bit of rotation for either Arsenal or Man U. DCL, Richarlison & Doucoure have been through a mountain of work.

We can't complain about the volume of work our players are doing. Number of game wise as we are in a much better position than Chelsea, Leicester, Arsenal, Man U, and Man City. Last nights game was our first midweek game in months - we have only been playing once a week. The teams listed have been playing twice a week, every week for months - including away travel to Europe.

All our player are going in to Xmas period far more fresher than the opposition teams we we are playing. If anything, work load wise we are at an advantage. 

5 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

We can't complain about the volume of work our players are doing. Number of game wise as we are in a much better position than Chelsea, Leicester, Arsenal, Man U, and Man City. Last nights game was our first midweek game in months - we have only been playing once a week. The teams listed have been playing twice a week, every week for months - including away travel to Europe.

All our player are going in to Xmas period far more fresher than the opposition teams we we are playing. If anything, work load wise we are at an advantage. 

We looked very tired in the second half though, it was quite noticeable.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

We looked very tired in the second half though, it was quite noticeable.

Yeah I think we might need some rotation. Might be a bit harsh to say but our back 4 aren’t covering loads of ground so they may be okay. Last thing we need is an injury to Doucoure, DCL or Richy. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Was noticeable for a few players against Chelsea too

It was and I'm not criticising them for it either. They've all put everything into these two games so it's natural and I expected it.

29 minutes ago, Btay said:

Yeah I think we might need some rotation. Might be a bit harsh to say but our back 4 aren’t covering loads of ground so they may be okay. Last thing we need is an injury to Doucoure, DCL or Richy. 

We do but we also have to be careful with that rotation as well. We all know below the starting 11 is quite a big drop off, so we'll have to be clever and only maybe change them one at a time. The last thing we need after building the confidence again is a heavy defeat.

8 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

It was and I'm not criticising them for it either. They've all put everything into these two games so it's natural and I expected it.

We do but we also have to be careful with that rotation as well. We all know below the starting 11 is quite a big drop off, so we'll have to be clever and only maybe change them one at a time. The last thing we need after building the confidence again is a heavy defeat.

Absolutely. I just hope we keep the defence much the same. 

We are short a striker though. I can’t see Tosun offering anything up top.

i believe the term "fit" is interpreted many different ways.  some on here prefer the term "match fit" when talking about a player starting.  if coleman is truly ready to go i still wouldn't start him, i would use him as a sub and let him get up to the pace that way.  i would not disturb the wall that is our back 4.  2 clean sheets, no reason to mess with it.  no need to rush seamus back.

25 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Seamus is fit. Now what?! Surely there's an argument to be made he should start? Yes 4 CB's has worked for us recently but it is not a long-term solution. 

Do you start Seamus? If so does holgate go to LB? And either way do Holgate or Godfrey replace Mina? Things are going to get interesting with so many games coming up. 

Not for me. Give him more time, it feels like he has been rushed back before and suffered a fresh injury. Given the results and the performance and that this game is one that you can play in exactly the same way as we have in those wins, it doesnt hurt to give him another weekend with his feet up.

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

That said, I wonder if Holgate comes in for Allan and Coleman starts?

Please no, Holgate did very well in midfield, for a defender, but we have options in midfield who are actual midfielders, know the role and are better midfielders as a result.

3 games in 7 days is tough, but I would not change the back 4, they have kept 2 clean sheets in a row and are starting to play with a defensive cohesion that is so important. Coleman should only play if Holgate cant due to injury, tiredness or form.

In midfield I would put Gomes in For Allan, he has played the most minutes with Doucoure, and Siggy the three played well together against Leicester. I do wonder if Siggy can play 3 games in midfield so you could swap him for Bernard, or bring Gordon in to that role.

The top three keep their place.

Another top team performance, 3 points and foot on the height of the wall around fortress Goodison please. 

1 hour ago, London Blue said:

Please no, Holgate did very well in midfield, for a defender, but we have options in midfield who are actual midfielders, know the role and are better midfielders as a result.

3 games in 7 days is tough, but I would not change the back 4, they have kept 2 clean sheets in a row and are starting to play with a defensive cohesion that is so important. Coleman should only play if Holgate cant due to injury, tiredness or form.

In midfield I would put Gomes in For Allan, he has played the most minutes with Doucoure, and Siggy the three played well together against Leicester. I do wonder if Siggy can play 3 games in midfield so you could swap him for Bernard, or bring Gordon in to that role.

The top three keep their place.

Another top team performance, 3 points and foot on the height of the wall around fortress Goodison please. 

Wasn’t saying it’s what I want mate, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see it is all

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Wasn’t saying it’s what I want mate, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see it is all

Ahh, sorry mate I misunderstood.

I don't think Carlo will, at least I hope not. If it was Silva or Gravy Guzzler then it would be a nailed on change along with Cenk up front and DCL wide left. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Coleman start if properly fit - he's not missed that long a period. I really don't think we should play without any attacking back unless its really necessary.  We have played two games on the bounce now with four centre backs playing, teams will work out the best way to exploit it. Play a right back at right back, especially one so good at getting forward. If Coleman is ready - I am for him start.

I think getting at Arsenal from the off is the best way to go in this game. They will be nervous, so at home, lets have a bit of a go at them. I don't think sitting back against Arsenal and letting them find any rhythm or getting confident on the ball would be such a great idea. Sitting back worked against Chelsea and Leicester, but there where teams coming in to the game on good form. 

Holgate started off as a right back so he does know the role. I am happy if Coleman starts, he is good at attacking and has loads of experience. Its just Holgate and the back 4 have played really well in the last 2 games and we have struggled previously to keep a clean sheet. So why change a good thing?

If it were Dinge and Godfrey then I would change as Dinge is a top left back and Godfrey has no experience of playing at left back, the difference between players quality and ability in the role is great.