IGNORED

Sami Khedira

Normally it would be a no from me, but when you have won enough trophies to last a lifetime with clubs like Real Madrid and Juventus, with the ultimate prize to boot with Germany then I think we should go along with this. 

Winning breeds winning, having players around the club that accept nothing less than the best will improve the club as a whole, imagine what the young players could learn from a James or a Khedira?

For the right price, a big yes from me. In fact, if Delph is on £100,000 a week send him off to Leeds on a free and give the money to Sami.

You can have to many players of experience at the wrong age in their life’s in a team, we have more than enough of them, now we need the younger stars of the future to learn off and blend in with what we’ve got, or we end up every couple of years needing to replace 5 or 6 knackered out players that may or may not of had enough left in the tank to do something, the 28 or 29 year old Khedira most definitely the nearly 34 year old who’s done nothing in nearly 3 years due to age and injuries not for me. 

16 hours ago, Haiku said:

He couldn't the past 3 seasons, why now when he's soon to be 34? A big no from me. We need more players with future like Richarlison and Calvert-Lewin. Experience is already there in the likes of Allan and James. We are missing players with hunger for glory, enough with the "one last paycheck" seekers.

James barely played the last three seasons either and whilst I know he is younger, it is the same principle.

Don't get me wrong I agree with you completely in the type of player that I would like to see us sign, but if (and its a big if) Khedira could stay fit, would he start? If its a yes and there were reasonable expectations that he would be fit, then it isn't unreasonable to consider signing him.

Before James I was completely against this type of signing unless they were in the Barry mould where they could stay fit, not come with an ego, and lead the side on the pitch. I know one swallow doesn't make a summer and all that, but I would trust Carlo to get that judgement call right more often than not.

22 hours ago, Bailey said:

Do you not think he would start, say ahead of Gomes, if he could stay fit?

No mate, I don’t think Gomes is a starter if everyone’s fit. Gomes would be his competition. 
For me we need younger players providing competition as they are hungrier, or should be.

44 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Still a no I would rather see JP and Davies and Gomes do their best.  We have doucoure who is excellent to pair them with and Gylfi is working his ass off 2 games in a row, we might be alright

The thought of relying on JP, Davies and Gomes to replace Allan makes me want to throw up. 

Gylfi doesn’t play in the same role as Allan, so him working his ass off will have little effect on how we miss Allan.
I’m a fan of Davies and Gomes but they can’t do what Allan does.
And JP? When did he last kick a ball? I suspect Allan will be fit before him. 

2 hours ago, StevO said:

The thought of relying on JP, Davies and Gomes to replace Allan makes me want to throw up. 

Gylfi doesn’t play in the same role as Allan, so him working his ass off will have little effect on how we miss Allan.
I’m a fan of Davies and Gomes but they can’t do what Allan does.
And JP? When did he last kick a ball? I suspect Allan will be fit before him. 

I know Gylfi doesn’t, my point is he is helping with the defending as well, so it’s not like it’s all down to the Allan replacement to do it.  Doucoure defends too.  That’s why Davies or Gomes or (gasp) delph could be fine if it’s short term.  We have a ton of center mids, don’t need another especially with JP coming back.  We need fullbacks in January.

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

I know Gylfi doesn’t, my point is he is helping with the defending as well, so it’s not like it’s all down to the Allan replacement to do it.  Doucoure defends too.  That’s why Davies or Gomes or (gasp) delph could be fine if it’s short term.  We have a ton of center mids, don’t need another especially with JP coming back.  We need fullbacks in January.

I’d sooner see Holgate step into DM before delph kicks a ball for us.

Khedira is far too old to now come and try the Premiership. Especially give his injury record over past few years. He is well past his 'best before' date. I think we have plenty in central midfield to work with. Central midfield was dealt with last summer and we now just have to manage with injuries. 

Other areas of the squad now need addressing. 

2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i wouldn't put khedira in the same class as zlatan, silva, or cavani.  he's a couple steps below.

The point wasn't about that he had the same ability as Zlatan (or the two Matt mentioned) more that a players age shouldn't be the single piece of information between signing someone and looking elsewhere. 

Plenty of footballers have flourished in their twilight years, especially if he's in a position such as holding midfield which wouldn't require as much stress on the body.