IGNORED

Sheffield United (Away) Saturday 26 December

markjazzbassist

No team has got to this point without a win before, totally disagree with anyone that says we should be rotating though - piss about and we'll get punished. Play the strongest XI and make early changes if need be once we're comfortably ahead which given how poor they are should be around the hour mark. 

Just watched the Brighton/Sheffield game and they were really poor, would be mid-table in the Championship IMO with the standard they're currently playing at, wafer thin on the quality front.

16 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

No team has got to this point without a win before, totally disagree with anyone that says we should be rotating though - piss about and we'll get punished. Play the strongest XI and make early changes if need be once we're comfortably ahead which given how poor they are should be around the hour mark. 

Just watched the Brighton/Sheffield game and they were really poor, would be mid-table in the Championship IMO with the standard they're currently playing at, wafer thin on the quality front.

I agree, you can protect players from burning out by restricting training to tactics and team meetings, I would have thought that most players would rather play twice a week and cut the work down in training.

But what you can’t control is injuries to key personnel and the niggles that need a rest to shake off, but otherwise play your best team. 

I haven't see many 90 minutes of Sheffield Utd but from what I have seen they arent miles away from the side that did so well last season. The difference I think is that last season they made those final passes and scored their chances when they came and this year they can't seem to hit a barn door. 

Its one of those games that if you go there thinking you will brush them aside then you could get embarrassed because they will make you work for your points. 

28 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I haven't see many 90 minutes of Sheffield Utd but from what I have seen they arent miles away from the side that did so well last season. The difference I think is that last season they made those final passes and scored their chances when they came and this year they can't seem to hit a barn door. 

Its one of those games that if you go there thinking you will brush them aside then you could get embarrassed because they will make you work for your points. 

They were a poor side last season and they’re a poor side this season. I remember being sat in the pub after they’d taken three points from us and thinking they were the worst side that had been to Goodison. We were just even worse!

They’re getting what they should’ve got last season. 

11 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

They were a poor side last season and they’re a poor side this season. I remember being sat in the pub after they’d taken three points from us and thinking they were the worst side that had been to Goodison. We were just even worse!

Same for me here I have no idea how they did so well they have some real dross in their squad.  I was ashamed we lost to them, their tactics are very championship like and their squad too.  I hope we smash them

7 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I remember watching them against Chelsea and Chelsea battered them but couldn't squeeze the ball between the sticks and Sheffield went up the other end 3 times and scored 3 goals and just took the game away from them. 

The fact that Lundstrum scored a few probably shows how much of a fluke it was, but saying that they worked their arses off every game to get that bit of luck.

5 hours ago, Btay said:

Lundstrum with a straight red so he’s out and a big part of how they play.

Just going to have to see who comes out of the cup game unscathed. Dropping points here almost makes our run of 3 wins not worth it. 

I didn't think he'd been playing as much for them this season. Pretty sure he's been in and out of the team, with a lot of it to do with him telling them he won't be signing a new contract.

Olsen

Coleman   Holgate   Keane    Godfrey

Doucoure    Gomes

Iwobi         Rodriguez (if fit)     Richarlison

DCL

I've gone a couple of changes, I'd keep the same team as the weekend for the cup game but give Coleman his first start back on Saturday against Sheff Utd.

Sheffield United haven't offered a huge amount attackwise so I'd like to see us be a bit more attack minded.  Doucoure to cover things defensively with Gomes with him in the middle and Rodriguez in front of them in the middle.

If Rodriguez isn't fit then with limited options I'd go back to Davies.

Seems Bernard is very much out of favour and I guess we may see him leave in January otherwise I'd suggest him in the 10 role.

6 hours ago, Btay said:

Lundstrum with a straight red so he’s out and a big part of how they play.

Just going to have to see who comes out of the cup game unscathed. Dropping points here almost makes our run of 3 wins not worth it. 

:huh: Dropping points means the 9 from 3 games aren’t worth it?! I think I’ve slipped into a parallel universe where positive things can’t exist if even the slightest hiccup happens. Bring on Armageddon!

14 hours ago, Matt said:

:huh: Dropping points means the 9 from 3 games aren’t worth it?! I think I’ve slipped into a parallel universe where positive things can’t exist if even the slightest hiccup happens. Bring on Armageddon!

I mean we’ve picked up huge points against good teams. Now we need to turn over the “smaller teams”.

21 minutes ago, Palfy said:

That’s always been our problem in recent years not being able to beat the teams below us on anything like a regular basis. We’ve even witnessed it this season. 

Yeah I probably didn’t word it so great though which might have put Matt off.

It would be a real shame to drop points against Sheffield after picking up 3 wins against the teams we just did! Mind you, it’s better taking points off them rather than losing to them and beating Sheffield.... I guess 🤷‍♂️

Gambled with the first team against United so I think we need to see some fresher legs here. 

Godfrey puts in a lot of effort so he’s one, among with Doucoure, Richarlison, Gylfi and Iwobi. Can re at  DCL because we have no one to replace him.

Does not leave us with a lot 

Pickford 

Holgate    Mina     Keane   Niels 

Gomes          Davies 

Bernard         James        Gordon 

DCL 

January we need a striker - even on loan and probably a winger + Khedira.

We need to play as close as possible the team that beat Arsenal, we need to win this game to show we can bounce back from a loss, if we draw or lose we risk going on another losing streak. 
Imo this has become one of those games where more than 3 points are at stake this could be about who we are as a team and where we finish this season. 

Worried about this game.

Some players are close to being burnt out and some not up to the standard.

so with injuries with have no choice but to play both.

I’m shocked that our neighbours across the road can draft in youth or under 23 players and they look at home on the big stage.

we have only Gordon and Neil’s who still the manager doesn’t seem to trust with some minutes.

Pickford 

Coleman.  Mina. Keane  Godfrey

Holgate

James           Dacoure.    Gordon

Gylfi 

Tosun

We gambled on the UTD match and lost. Two days rest then the tired legs go again.

Sheffield have had a weeks rest, and although poor they are starting to play a bit better.

Hopefully James is back.

Pickford

Holgate       Mina        Keane      Neils

Davies    Gomes

Gordon             James          Bernard

Tosun

We can bring the regulars if needed, which hopefully they wont be.   

I favor London Blue’s suggestion of lots of rotation for this match.  I’d prefer some different options, however.  More radical/desperate changes, admittedly.  The combination of Allan/Digne injuries especially, plus tired legs, might justify a one-time radical rotation.  

Pickford

Coleman    Godfrey     Keane     Nkounkou

Kenny              Holgate

Gordon               James                  Bernard

Tosun

Maybe even Branthwaite for Keane?  If James unavailable, I don’t know, maybe Davies.  Or maybe Gomes for first half, Sigurdsson second.

The more I think about this game, the more I think we do need to freshen things up. As I said earlier, Sheffield will put in a shift regardless of whether they are winning or losing and energy is going to be important. The problem for us is that our replacements aren't exactly energetic (Davies, Tosun, Bernard... and erm 🤔). 

I think I would shake up the side a little like this:

Pickford 

Coleman (or Kenny) Mina Keane Godfrey

Doucoure Holgate Gomes

James (or Richie if either fit) DCL Gordon (or Niels)

If we need more energy then Bernard can come in midfield. If we need to be better on the ball Davies can also come in. 

It feels a very defensive side and I really didn't want to put Holgate in midfield would Davies slouching around the pitch make much difference? I think Siggy will need the rest and I am unsure what Gomes will turn up but you could switch him for whoever else you fancy. 

I think it would be harsh on Gordon to play Niels ahead of him but Niels is quick and strong and I think we could do with a bit of that against Sheffield and I would be intrigued to see how he would play as a proper wide man with a full back behind him rather than the shambles we saw earlier in the season. 

I do also wonder whether there is a question over our fitness levels. You look at Fernandes yesterday, playing almost every game for Utd in all comps and yet still looking fresh and in form. We seem to struggle with our fitness levels with two games in a week, let alone three.