IGNORED

Max Aarons

3 hours ago, Bill said:

Dunc ..... Its not just sacrificing any old right back, its sacrificing your best player to bring in 3 £10m players who are nowhere near as good.  I cant see how that could be strengthening their Squad.

Their whole business plan is to get to the PL to get the money and hopefully manage to stay there without spending much of it, but they’re not arsed if they go straight back down because of the parachute payments. But they also sell big to make huge profits - Maddison (as C mentioned) in previous years, Godfrey and Lewis (?) last summer and they’ll do the same this summer regardless of promotion. One of Aarons, Buendia and Cantwell will be sold. 

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

Yes but as I originally said to Dunc, its not strengthening your squad if you keep selling your best players.

But strengthening it is exactly what they do with the money. You might lose your best right back, but then you go and improve your CB's, or you go and get the creative midfielder that you currently lack. 

So you lose out in one position but overall you get better.

Yeah, it's risky but it works for them.

15 hours ago, Bill said:

Dunc ..... Its not just sacrificing any old right back, its sacrificing your best player to bring in 3 £10m players who are nowhere near as good.  I cant see how that could be strengthening their Squad.

Liverpool selling coutinho was the best example of selling to strengthen that I've seen. 

Of course it can go the other way.... Bale being sold to real seen spurs blow that money. 

Given Holgate has played a lot as right back (ahead of Coleman) this season - I would be fairly confident that Everton will be offering Arron's a strong chance of making the Everton RB position his own right from off (like all positions you have to earn your starting position in on the training ground). Much like Digne did at LB.  Coleman becomes the 'cover' in this position as hi hits 33 in October.

Holgate and Godfrey are only makeshift RB's and as the squad develops summer on summer, I would only expect them to cover that position in an emergency.  

I think Everton and Aaron's would be a good fit for each other. 

Often clubs like Norwich (relegated and hoping to bounce straight back up), have a gentleman's agreement with players- Stay and help us get back up and we will let you go for a reasonable (rather than prohibitive) fee next summer. Norwich will probably not want him to go, but may already be resigned to the fact he will be moving on.  Norwich's problem is they may have two or three very good player who might now be due a move. 

I would prefer Aaron's over Brighton's Lamptey (who might demand a similar fee), simply because he is bigger and a stronger looking lad. 

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

Given Holgate has played a lot as right back (ahead of Coleman) this season - I would be fairly confident that Everton will be offering Arron's a strong chance of making the Everton RB position his own right from off (like all positions you have to earn your starting position in on the training ground). Much like Digne did at LB.  Coleman becomes the 'cover' in this position as hi hits 33 in October.

Holgate and Godfrey are only makeshift RB's and as the squad develops summer on summer, I would only expect them to cover that position in an emergency.  

I think Everton and Aaron's would be a good fit for each other. 

Often clubs like Norwich (relegated and hoping to bounce straight back up), have a gentleman's agreement with players- Stay and help us get back up and we will let you go for a reasonable (rather than prohibitive) fee next summer. Norwich will probably not want him to go, but may already be resigned to the fact he will be moving on.  Norwich's problem is they may have two or three very good player who might now be due a move. 

I would prefer Aaron's over Brighton's Lamptey (who might demand a similar fee), simply because he is bigger and a stronger looking lad. 

I'm pretty confident we will land this kid if we want him.

1. My understanding is that relationship between ourselves and Norwich is very good after the Godfrey deal.... We werent trying to diddle them like Liverpool 

2. Unless he and Godfrey hate eachother then I'm sure Godfrey being here and in the first team doing well is a sign that he would be happy here.

3. Carlo.  

Keep a clean sheet and you've won a point a game, needing only one goal to take three. Having a poor defence and conceding goals will ultimately lead to zero points each week, even with a killer front line. 

If you look at the sporting greats over the years they all had good defenders and a strong goalkeeper. It's absolutely vital to get the spine right before moving onto sprinkling attacking talent. 

Probably influenced by the position that I played in, but I've always had the belief that a winning team starts from a winning backline.

1 hour ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Keep a clean sheet and you've won a point a game, needing only one goal to take three. Having a poor defence and conceding goals will ultimately lead to zero points each week, even with a killer front line. 

Just look at our noisy neighbours this season - not a lot has changed in their attacking players but the 18 different combinations or whatever (no one’s mentioned it for at least 5minutes) at the back, it’s made them look distinctly average and that’s on a good day!

13 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

If you look at the sporting greats over the years they all had good defenders and a strong goalkeeper. It's absolutely vital to get the spine right before moving onto sprinkling attacking talent. 

Probably influenced by the position that I played in, but I've always had the belief that a winning team starts from a winning backline.

Fundamentally I couldnt agree more but in this day and age all 11 players have to do their bit. 

IMO City didnt lose their way because their defenders suddenly werent up for it, you look at the pressing stats and their front line and midfield were all down on their best seasons. 

I haven't checked but I would imagine the same is true of Liverpool too ( combined with key defensive injuries). 

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

That Fabrizio Romano says we're in for him. That'll do for me to fully believe we're all over this currently.

My understanding is that Norwich were massively impressed with how we behaved over Godfrey - whilst Liverpool pissed them off trying to squeeze them for a good player who was already available at a fair price. 

3 hours ago, Hafnia said:

My understanding is that Norwich were massively impressed with how we behaved over Godfrey - whilst Liverpool pissed them off trying to squeeze them for a good player who was already available at a fair price. 

Norwich called us a brilliant club at the time and said they couldn’t stand in Godfrey’s way. So I imagine if we offer a fair price they’ll be more than willing to sell to us. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure £30m was quoted for Godfrey so hopefully Marcel will be able to negotiate this one just as well. Norwich seem to take pride in ensuring their ‘products’ are showcased by this I mean they wouldn’t negotiate with Man U for Aarons knowing he’ll be a bit part with Wan Bissaka. I think it was similar with Godfrey as Liverpool and Bayern, amongst others showed interest. Basically, what I’m saying, if the team’s right, Norwich will negotiate a fair deal rather than just send to the highest bidder.

I read somewhere or saw an interview maybe last season about how upset they were about the Murphy brothers not fulfilling their potential away from Norwich. If you’re a youngster looking for a top academy, then there’d be a lot of positives pointing towards Norwich.

He’s very much a Trent Alexander type of RB not one of the best at defending but good at going forward with a decent cross, he is definitely the sort of player we are looking for we need players who will give us momentum we are very static at the moment. 

Reading through the lines we only signed Godfrey this season as Holgate got injured. Wouldn't be surprised if we already had a deal in place for Aarons first then swapped up Godfrey. Shouldn't be too much negotiation, more down to the player if the likes of Bayern come in.