IGNORED

Rotherham United (FA Cup Home) Saturday 9 January

markjazzbassist

We have a weeks rest and then this is the first of 3 matches in a week.  They are in the relegation zone for the championship one would think they would prioritize that over this cup competition but we’ve seen smaller sides get up for it before.  I’d play a strong lineup to win and get the confidence and momentum rolling again.

Olsen

Coleman Mina Keane Godfrey

Doucoure  Delph

Gylfi

James              DCL          Richarlison

10 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

We have a weeks rest and then this is the first of 3 matches in a week.  They are in the relegation zone for the championship one would think they would prioritize that over this cup competition but we’ve seen smaller sides get up for it before.  I’d play a strong lineup to win and get the confidence and momentum rolling again.

Olsen

Coleman Mina Keane Godfrey

Doucoure  Delph

Gylfi

James              DCL          Richarlison

Strong line up and Delph is a massive contradiction 

Olsen

Coleman     Keane   Godfrey    Niels 

Davies           Holgate

Gomes 

Iwobi                  DCL            Richarlison 

DCL & Richarlison could use a goal for some confidence. Gomes to continue as the 10. Gylfi for holgate maybe or even play the 1 sitter with Bernard next to Gomes. Might be getting carried away, but id even like to see Gomes get the armband and really see if he takes the game on or it might just encourage him that much more.

Yeh Niels must play!

I would also agree about playing Godfrey at centre half. I'd like to see if his improvement translates back to his main position. 

This is also a game that I would start Bernard in midfield. He has been brilliant in the games against the lower league teams in creating chances and it then frees up another player to get their feet up.

Olsen

Coleman Godfrey Holgate Neils

Davies Gomes Bernard

James DCL Richarlison 

I think Coleman and James need game time to get fit. DCL and Richarlison need the chance to score a goal. Holgate and Godfrey have earned the right to play centre half. Neils could do with a game. Gylfi and Doucoure could do with a game off. Bernard has done ok lately so keep his confidence going. 
Nothing other than a convincing win here. 

On 01/01/2021 at 21:22, Btay said:

Olsen

Davies           Holgate

Gomes 

Iwobi                  DCL            Richarlison 

DCL & Richarlison could use a goal for some confidence. Gomes to continue as the 10. Gylfi for holgate maybe or even play the 1 sitter with Bernard next to Gomes. Might be getting carried away, but id even like to see Gomes get the armband and really see if he takes the game on or it might just encourage him that much more.

For an FA Cup game against lower opposition when we have three games in a week? Let the defence continue to gel, but don't risk key players in midfield or upfront. By all means use Doucoure, DC-L, Richarlison, and James late in the game but not as starters.

Olsen
       Keane  Holgate  Godfrey
Coleman                          Nkounkou
     Davies  Sigurdsson  Gordon
          Iwobi          Tosun

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

For an FA Cup game against lower opposition when we have three games in a week? Let the defence continue to gel, but don't risk key players in midfield or upfront. By all means use Doucoure, DC-L, Richarlison, and James late in the game but not as starters.

Olsen
       Keane  Holgate  Godfrey
Coleman                          Nkounkou
     Davies  Sigurdsson  Gordon
          Iwobi          Tosun

I haven’t selected any key players in midfield really apart from Gomes.

Gomes, DCL and Richarlison should play to hopefully boost confidence. Both DCL and Richarlison could use a goal each.

Olsen

Davies           Gomes

Bernard 

Gordon                  DCL            Richarlison 

I'd give James 30 minutes whatever the game situation (unless they are chopping us down all over the park!).

I toyed with Richarilson in the number 10 role but realistically he's not going to play there regularly so keep him on the left, Niels a natural attacking wing back would benefit him as well as he's missed having Digne there.

DCL needs goals and against a weaker side with the crossing of Niels (and hopefully Gordon) he should be able to get himself on the score sheet.  I'd take him off early second half if we're comfortable as he doesn't really need to be playing another 90 minutes.

image.png.22074dfa998ee3f9c62adfd0219a771e.png

Based on their games this season they don't create the least or concede the most shots in the league by any stretch but struggle for possession and if those weaknesses are anything to on I'd want to see Richarilson and DCL to be making to make some good runs...likely resulting in a penalty!

Rotherham have given away 6 goals from penalties this season so my money would be on Richarlison or DCL wining a penalty at some point.

They've also given away 7 goals from set pieces so we need to make the most of our good record at scoring from them!

On 03/01/2021 at 13:42, Btay said:

I haven’t selected any key players in midfield really apart from Gomes.

Gomes, DCL and Richarlison should play to hopefully boost confidence. Both DCL and Richarlison could use a goal each.

I understand your reasoning - and it just shows how weak is our midfield when Gomes is viewed as a key player - but I wouldn't want to risk Holgate or play him out of position. I don't buy the argument that DC-L needs more goals to boost confidence; his play in general reveals plenty of confidence right now.

4 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I understand your reasoning - and it just shows how weak is our midfield when Gomes is viewed as a key player - but I wouldn't want to risk Holgate or play him out of position. I don't buy the argument that DC-L needs more goals to boost confidence; his play in general reveals plenty of confidence right now.

It’s more because I see Gomes playing lots of minutes - especially whilst Allan is out. I’m really, really hoping we have unlocked the Gomes we first saw because him, Doucoure and Allan is a perfect midfield IMO.

6 games with no goal though. I just want him to get momentum and take it into the league. I feel Richarlison needs one to get himself back to his usual levels as well.

I’d have no issue and actually prefer with us playing the reverse pivot with Davies sitting and Gomes + Bernard more advanced in place of Holgate - who really didn’t impress me against west ham.

Play the strongest offensive team at the weekend - had plenty of rest over the past fortnight having the City game cancelled so tired leg should not be a problem and hopefully players coming back to fitness will allow resting later in the month if needed. To much rest can be just as bad as not enough rest. 

A good game and good result against Rotherham would help get James and Coleman match fit and hopefully plenty of goals. This is a game to be played on the offensive big time! With Iwobi and Richarlisons work rate and our Premiership defence - I see little need for James to have do much defending. We should be at least aiming for 70% possession in this game, so should to set up for being in possession. A game for him to get his swagger back. 

Pickford 

Coleman     Keane     Mina     Niels/Godfrey 

Doucoure         Gomes/Davies

James     

Iwobi               DCL            Richarlison 

The FA Cup will never be more open than this season, there is a backlog of fixtures on the horizon given the postponements that we have seen and (very sadly) the rising cases due to the pandemic which doesn't look as though these postponements are going to slow down. Add to that that the ''elite'' clubs will be having to factor in Champions/Europa League football alongside their existing Premier League matches and this could be one of the most open competitions in recent memory, precisely because the top clubs can't afford to take it seriously. It wouldn't surprise me one bit that in order to keep players fit with the congested fixtures, we see ''B'' and even ''C'' teams take to the field built entirely from Academy products - it also wouldn't surprise me if in the latter stages of the competition a good chunk of teams are representatives of lower down the footballing pyramid. 

Long story short, let's take this seriously as we could end up with a healthy set of games as a result. 

11 minutes ago, FairWooney said:

a lot of people putting Iwobi in the team.

Is he fit?  He missed the last game completely so I wondered if he had an injury.  Or was he ill?

It was as a precaution because he felt something in training.

He's been posting pictures of him training within the past few days so he should be fine.

20 hours ago, RuffRob said:

Play the strongest offensive team at the weekend - had plenty of rest over the past fortnight having the City game cancelled so tired leg should not be a problem and hopefully players coming back to fitness will allow resting later in the month if needed. To much rest can be just as bad as not enough rest. 

I think this is the start of 3 games in quick succession so it isn't a problem of tired legs going into the game but keeping the legs fresh for the two games that follow. Both of those will be tough games too (Wolves & Villa) and they will be teams that are in and around us at the end of the season so 6 points would put us in a great position. Having even marginally fresher legs than them will give us a small advantage.

As Zoo has said, we don't want to field a crap team and lose because of a substantially weakened team but we can afford to rotate some players that haven't played as much (Niels, Bernard and Kenny come to mind) to keep some of the others a little fresher.

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

I think this is the start of 3 games in quick succession so it isn't a problem of tired legs going into the game but keeping the legs fresh for the two games that follow. Both of those will be tough games too (Wolves & Villa) and they will be teams that are in and around us at the end of the season so 6 points would put us in a great position. Having even marginally fresher legs than them will give us a small advantage.

As Zoo has said, we don't want to field a crap team and lose because of a substantially weakened team but we can afford to rotate some players that haven't played as much (Niels, Bernard and Kenny come to mind) to keep some of the others a little fresher.

After 1 game in the past fortnight - I wouldn't have thought 3 games in fairly quick succession should be to much of a problem now.  It's when you have had two or three weeks of hard games twice a week that you might need to start worrying to much about fatigue. No point in resting already rested players - worry about resting them when they look tired.

A good result against Rotherham will be the best tonic before Wolves and Villa. 

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

After 1 game in the past fortnight - I wouldn't have thought 3 games in fairly quick succession should be to much of a problem now.  It's when you have had two or three weeks of hard games twice a week that you might need to start worrying to much about fatigue. No point in resting already rested players - worry about resting them when they look tired.

A good result against Rotherham will be the best tonic before Wolves and Villa. 

In my experience it doesn't work like that. In that third game they will be fatigued and more prone to injury. I would be surprised if they would be training between games, and if they do, it won't be a lot. 

If the players play the first two games then what happens if they look tired in the 3rd game? Rest them for Villa when you could have rested them for for Rotherham? 

I watched the City game last night and it was noticeable how some of the City players were struggling in the last 15 minutes. De Bruyne sprinted forward on a counter attack and he could barely open his eyes as the camera panned over to him. They had a break of 7 days before the Chelsea game. 

I agree about the last bit, but I dont think a couple of changes to rest the players we can do easily without, will weaken the team too much and we should still win. Its not like we can rest too many players after all!

Direct from Carlo. No "Richarlison, Kenny, Calvert-Lewin, Allan, Delph, Gbamin and Pickford. Players available: James, Digne, Iwobi are back." Seems obvious without DCL but he also said Tosun will play. I'd HATE to see Digne risked here. 

Olsen

Holgate Mina Keane Niels

Davies Doucoure Gomes

Iwobi Tosun Bernard

Hopefully we can get Doucoure off at halftime for Godfrey (and play him or Holgate at DM)

I hate to put the cart before the horse in thinking we're going to win this but I'm surprised and very nervous to hear no Richarlison or DCL. That's new and hopefully not a sign of anything other than rest. 

17 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Direct from Carlo. No "Richarlison, Kenny, Calvert-Lewin, Allan, Delph, Gbamin and Pickford. Players available: James, Digne, Iwobi are back." Seems obvious without DCL but he also said Tosun will play. I'd HATE to see Digne risked here. 

Olsen

Holgate Mina Keane Niels

Davies Doucoure Gomes

Iwobi Tosun Bernard

Hopefully we can get Doucoure off at halftime for Godfrey (and play him or Holgate at DM)

I hate to put the cart before the horse in thinking we're going to win this but I'm surprised and very nervous to hear no Richarlison or DCL. That's new and hopefully not a sign of anything other than rest. 

Not many goals in that side ☹️

From OS: Ancelotti “confirmed Godfrey will begin the game at centre-back.”  That means either Digne or Nkounkou at LB.  I’ll guess —

Olsen

Coleman   Holgate  Godfrey   Digne

Doucouré      Davies

James              Gomes           Bernard

Tosun

Bench — Virginia/Lössl, Keane, Mina, Nkounkou, Sigurdsson, Gordon, Iwobi