IGNORED

Wolves (Away) Tuesday 12 January

markjazzbassist

5 hours ago, Btay said:

Well given the injuries and hoping that Richarlison is fit.

Pickford

Holgate      Mina      Keane    Godfrey

Gomes          Doucoure 

James  

Iwobi            Richarlison            Digne 

More of a 4231 than a 433. No Richarlison then I guess Tosun uptop and just hope he can get a few chances and take them like he did in the cup.

Weirdly I thought about Digne playing further forward last night, or something along those lines anyway just on the basis of balance. My line-up was more like this though:

Pickford

Godfrey Mina Holgate Digne

Siggy

James Doucoure Gomes Niels

Richarlison

I am personally not too worried about Adama because he can be unplayable against anyone when the stars align but if you doubled up with Niels and Digne against him and Semedo (who is another of their attacking outlets), I think you could nullify their threat quite considerably whilst maintaining some of ours. You would have the brain and experience of Digne with the physical attributes of Niels. Both are very adept at getting a quality ball into the box too and Niels is a decent enough dribbler too. They could then rotate depending on who finds themselves where. Whether it would work or not, I don't know but the theory is relatively sound IMO. I prefer that balance on the left as opposed to Iwobi or Bernard who never use their left foot. At least when Richie plays there he is more than capable of using his left. 

I don't like the midfield at all but I am trying to play people where they will fuck up least. Doucoure's role is granted, no problem there. It then goes to how do you fit two of Gomes, Davies and Gylfi into the other two roles. Gomes is better further upfield and I think Davies is the worst player of the three in almost every category. Siggy is probably the sharpest, quickest and most technical player of the three. He pisses me off when he is further forward and gets the ball and then turns back to goal or slows the attack and on the rare occasions we have seen him as the holding player, he has surprised me. He isnt a natural defender but he is streets ahead of Gomes and he is more organised, disciplined and quicker to react than Davies. In the position I have Gomes in, I would ideally like to see someone with more creativity but Gomes is not devoid of promise with arriving into the box so he is fancied to do better than Davies there. 

The inclusion of James and Richarlison are obvious ones. If Richarlison isn't fit then it would need another rethink however I would be more inclined to think outside the box a little more (such as Iwobi or James up front) than play Tosun who I can't see troubling Wolves if we can't get him inside the box enough. 

I was impressed with James toward the end of the game against Rotherham - he definitely grew in to the game. I had to disappear just when he got his bloody nose and only watched the end of the game (from about 65min onwards) once I got home - but already knowing the result, so was able to relax a bit and I just kept and eye on James. From the 65min to when he went off I don't recall him losing the ball or misplacing paces (that all happened in the first hour!!), and he stared to spray the ball around the pitch nicely. He put in a beauty of a free kick for Tosun's disallowed goals, and put in on a plate for Doucoure's goal. If James was fit enough to stay on, I think he would have open up Rotherham a lot more as they ran out of steam in extra time. 

Tosan is actually a decent enough finisher (just not that much of an all round player), so if you have James accurately putting the ball in to the right places and am sure he will put it in the back of the net. I would always put Richarlison in ahead of Tosun given the choice, but if Richarlison is not fit, it would be interesting to see if James can put the ball in the right places for Tosan to get on the end of it. Confidence is a funny old thing with strikers - getting the ball in the back of the net at the weekend (even though one was disallowed) will put an extra spring in his step. 

Just now, milesey05 said:

Just taken DCL out of my fantasy team.

Simms now in his place!!!

Surely the lad will get a chance tonight!!!!

I think the likes for Simms you tend to want to bring on 15mins from the end in a game where you are 3-0 or so up and bossing a game. Not when you maybe chasing a game trying to grab a point or nick a win. 

I think all of us would like to see how he gets on in the first team, he is 20 years old now, So if he has the talent, he should be dipping his toe in the big pond this spring. 

Looks like James will be in the hole, with perhaps Iwobi as the false nine. Sigurdsson the more advanced of a midfield three with Davies and Doucoure in support behind - a back five as others have suggested. 

As much as it looks bonkers, when you think about it there's not much wrong with it in the circumstances. Honestly does anyone see Tosun bagging a few tonight? Nah. I think due to the defensive setup James will drift across the entire front line too - impossible to mark which will give him the space he needs to find a pass. 

I expect we will see Charlie on the hour mark, explosive against tired legs. 

10 minutes ago, milesey05 said:

Wtaf!!!!

9 minutes ago, milesey05 said:

Simms not even on the bench!!

no striker.

5 defenders.

is Big Sam back in charge? 

5 minutes ago, milesey05 said:

Looking forward to the game all day.

I don’t mean to be all doom and gloom but I can’t see us getting a point.

crazy line up 

2 minutes ago, milesey05 said:

I’m stumped! 
sit back and counter!!

Slowest team we have put out all season 

@milesey05 Sorry must've missed it. How're you feeling about this one?