IGNORED

Sheffield Wednesday (FA Cup Home) Sunday 24th January

markjazzbassist

This is the first of 5 matches in 15 days (Leicester, Newcastle, Leeds, Man U).  It will be a trying period so let's hope we stay healthy and keep picking up points.  As to this match, we will have had 11 days off since Wolves, so we should be rested and getting people back from injury and into full fitness.  I think we should go full strength, go up 3-0 and pull some starters around the 60' mark.  not sure if carlo will do the same.

Olsen

Coleman Mina Keane Digne

Doucoure Davies

James

Iwobi           DCL      Richarlison

With 5 games in 15 days (which is fucking mental) I wouldn't be playing many, if any of the first XI. I know that contradicts what I said a few weeks ago about this year's FA Cup, but I didn't expect us to suddenly start playing games every other day. I want to win a trophy as much as the next guy, but there's no way we will be able to play a strong XI in each of our games and not pick up injuries.

The below is what I'd go with and even though it's seriously weaker than what we would like it should still be able to dispatch lower league opposition. Hopefully the Rotherham game gave everyone a kick up the arse as to not go through the motions. 

Olsen

Coleman, Branthwaite, Mina, Niels

Gordon, Gomes, Davies, Bernard

Tosun, Richarlison (45/60mins).

Edit: Just seen confirmation that Branthwaite has gone out on loan. Good luck to him!

I see your point @Zoo 2.0 but I'd like to see us go a little stronger than that. Two things we know for sure is Doucoure has to start (suspended against Leciester midweek) and Branthwaite leaving on loan. I'd also argue we need to get DCL back out there to try to regain some form. 

Pickford

Coleman Mina Keane Godfrey

Davies Doucoure Gomes

Iwobi DCL Richarlison

That lineup above comes from what i hope to be full strength (other than Doucoure) against Leicester: Pickford Godfrey Holgate Keane Digne Davies Allan Siggy James DCL Richarlison

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

Moved to Sunday 8.00 and on BT. So now five games in thirteen days.

Whaaat!? 

I guess we get a lot of money from TV so we have to take it on the chin but that is going to cause us problems.

Hopefully Allan will be able to get back to fitness and we might even see Gbamin at least get a few minutes at the end of games to help us see out those 5 nil wins.

Absolutely no point in risking our principal players. Focus on the league, where we have an excellent chance of qualifying for the Champion's League, let alone the Europa. The FA Cup has prestige, for sure, but it shouldn't be a priority. Let the other teams in the top half of the Prem extend themselves with Cup games, European games, and a crazy domestic schedule. We can take advantage. My line-up would be:

Virginia/Lossl

Coleman  Mina  Keane  Nkounkou

Davies  Doucoure  Gordon

Iwobi  Tosun  Bernard

That would mean a break of 12 days before the first team played together  again, that’s what breaks consistency and understanding in team’s, training is no substitute for playing if you want to keep consistency. 
And we won’t go into to the argument of resting players, the postponement of City and the subsequent loss to West Ham with rested players and West Ham playing 3 games in 6 days dispelled that theory. 
Like I said there is no substitute for playing games if you want to improve as a team, so best team available if only to keep the momentum going. 

8 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Absolutely no point in risking our principal players. Focus on the league, where we have an excellent chance of qualifying for the Champion's League, let alone the Europa. The FA Cup has prestige, for sure, but it shouldn't be a priority. Let the other teams in the top half of the Prem extend themselves with Cup games, European games, and a crazy domestic schedule. We can take advantage. My line-up would be:

Virginia/Lossl

Coleman  Mina  Keane  Nkounkou

Davies  Doucoure  Gordon

Iwobi  Tosun  Bernard

Why not have Pickford or Olsen? Not like they’ll be extending themselves. Hopefully might have another player in by then that can get a run out to integrate.

6 hours ago, Matt said:

Cup also has the chance of a European place Steve. Really baffles me that you continue to dismiss cup competitions 

Follow the money and focus on priorities. With a squad our size, we can't hope to compete with the deep-pockets teams, so let's get the most bang for our buck. That means focus on the highest possible finish in the Premier League.

Look at the teams currently in cup competitions, domestic and European: They are struggling with injuries and burned-out players. This is why any one of nine teams right now could win the league. That wouldn't happen in a regular year, so take advantage of it.

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

Follow the money and focus on priorities. With a squad our size, we can't hope to compete with the deep-pockets teams, so let's get the most bang for our buck. That means focus on the highest possible finish in the Premier League.

Look at the teams currently in cup competitions, domestic and European: They are struggling with injuries and burned-out players. This is why any one of nine teams right now could win the league. That wouldn't happen in a regular year, so take advantage of it.

Except the serial winners. How did they become serial winners?

15 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

When did ambition die in football fans?

In a word, Wigan.

It's not a lack of ambition, far from it. It's ambition to win what really matters. Did Wigan become a powerhouse because they won the FA Cup? Or did Leicester become a powerhouse because they won the league? And Leicester are an awful lot richer today than are Wigan.

6 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

In a word, Wigan.

It's not a lack of ambition, far from it. It's ambition to win what really matters. Did Wigan become a powerhouse because they won the FA Cup? Or did Leicester become a powerhouse because they won the league? And Leicester are an awful lot richer today than are Wigan.

Wigan were never going to win the league. Winning the FA Cup with them was a minor miracle. 

Leicester arent a powerhouse either. They have upped their game for sure, but a couple of bad seasons or a bad managerial appointment and they are back in the doldrums again.

45 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

In a word, Wigan.

In a word, bullshit.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

Wigan were never going to win the league. Winning the FA Cup with them was a minor miracle. 

Leicester arent a powerhouse either. They have upped their game for sure, but a couple of bad seasons or a bad managerial appointment and they are back in the doldrums again.

Leicester are above us in the table right now. 

10 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Leicester are above us in the table right now. 

By playing a game more. 

As for concentrating on the league, it’s a flawed logic especially this year. What you’re proposing is to put all our eggs in 1 basket when the league is as open as its ever been and ignoring a different, easier route into Europe (with the benefit of a trophy to boot). The argument rarely flies unless you’re in relegation battles, but even less this season.