IGNORED

Joshua Zirkzee

22 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

yeah i would if i was him

I won't, if he's smart enough he won't either. Everton move is of greater marketing strategy. Better league, better club... Picking Parma for the playing time alone is too risky. Even if he fails to prove himself here, he'll move to better club (see Kean). If he fails at Parma, he pretty much has to start over. 

The more I think about this...

Our back line is becoming pretty solid - Digne, Keane, Mina, Godfrey, with Coleman and Holgate rotating in and out - which is always a prerequisite. Next up, our forward line should be irresistibly potent, and I can think of few better options that James and Richarlison making runs and pinging passes to two strong goalscorers. Finally, games are won and lost in midfield, which is why Allan is so important. Doucoure is an able partner. What an awesome team configuration that would be.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

why?  he's 19 and unproven in this league, what makes you think he could start in the premier league?  he can't get a sniff in the bundesliga or german cup matches which is a worse league

The competition at Bayern is a bit more fierce than at Everton. We have one striker, he would have plenty of opportunities, just like Kean got but didn’t show enough. 
Plenty of players who have been unproven have done well in the premier league, as have plenty of teenagers. 

31 minutes ago, StevO said:

The competition at Bayern is a bit more fierce than at Everton. We have one striker, he would have plenty of opportunities, just like Kean got but didn’t show enough. 
Plenty of players who have been unproven have done well in the premier league, as have plenty of teenagers. 

You misunderstood.  I asked Steve why a 19 year old who can’t get a sniff in Germany should waltz into a starting position on our team and cause us to change a formation that has us in the top 5.  

You misunderstood.  I asked Steve why a 19 year old who can’t get a sniff in Germany should waltz into a starting position on our team and cause us to change a formation that has us in the top 5.  

We're 7th and I don’t think anyone would suggest he would waltz in but he’s an option we currently don’t have. We are short on strikers and therefore either by injury, rotation or for 20 mins at the end could make a difference. I think this is still some way off though.  

35 minutes ago, barryj said:

We're 7th and I don’t think anyone would suggest he would waltz in but he’s an option we currently don’t have. We are short on strikers and therefore either by injury, rotation or for 20 mins at the end could make a difference. I think this is still some way off though.  

You didn’t read either.  That’s exactly what Steve said which is why I said what I said.  I’m not changing a formation and starting an unknown this late in the campaign.  This ain’t Bruno Fernandez who was well regarded and featured regularly in Portugal.  For a backup or cups or injury rotation?  Yeah sure totally.  No argument there at all. 

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

You didn’t read either.  That’s exactly what Steve said which is why I said what I said.  I’m not changing a formation and starting an unknown this late in the campaign.  This ain’t Bruno Fernandez who was well regarded and featured regularly in Portugal.  For a backup or cups or injury rotation?  Yeah sure totally.  No argument there at all. 

We started the season with a bang, perhaps the most attacking, and attractively attacking, team in the league. DC-L was on fire, fed indulgently by both Richarlison and James. Allan provided the iron strength needed in midfield, ably supported by Doucoure. We were missing a decent third player in midfield, though. Defence started well but then became rather sievish, needing time to learn more about one another and toughen up. Injuries hit us harder than most because of our lack of squad depth.

We've been rather lucky upfront because, until recently, DC-L escaped injury, but it's where we lack depth the most. That was painfully obvious in recent games when DC-L was missing, although we coped through excellent management.

What I'm thinking is that, when we return to the level of intensity with which we played at the beginning of the season, the only thing we really lacked was a third player in midfield - but we actually managed well with Allan and Doucoure playing so well. So, why not play two men upfront? How awesome would that be? If we were exciting before, we'd be turbo-charged exciting with such a formation. Hence my comment earlier.

This guy Zirkzee (is that German for Xerxes?!) appears to play with considerable energy and creativity, just the type we need to supplement DC-L. He also appears to have a nose for goal, which we've lacked in prior seasons. Of course we don't know how he'd turn out - otherwise we'd be looking at a stupendously high fee - but Carlo appears to have a nose for not only smart players but for players that will fit immediately into his type of team. Again, remember the opening game against Spurs: What a game, and what an impressive team we were. Who predicted that ahead of time? To my mind, it's testimony to how Ancelotti thinks in building a complementary group of players. Zirkzee hasn't been in the Russian leagues or the Turkish leagues, and he's not been playing for a no-name team. He's been playing for perhaps the strongest team in the world right now - not a starter every game, of course, but that's an impressive early resume.

So I repeat my earlier comment: Wouldn't it be awesome to see him and DC-L start together upfront with Richarlison and James feeding them from all over the field. If it worked out, we'd scare the living daylights out of every defence in the Prem. That makes it a risk worth taking, given Ancelotti's track record.

And having become excited at the prospect, odds on he'll now sign for Parma!

6 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Seems you didn’t read posts either :P Bruno wasn’t an experienced premier league player either and came from a much lower league. Neither are you in charge of the formation and tactics, so not sure why you brought that up :lol: 

also, Steve(s) is/are talking about options and competition. Wouldn’t 2 target men be great? If he’s up for it of course. Not talking about him walking into the starting lineup (that’s your interpretation but not what was said) but being there as an option to if need must and if Carlo wants to. For £10m, sounds like a shrewd investment if nothing else. 

11 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

why?  he's 19 and unproven in this league, what makes you think he could start in the premier league?  he can't get a sniff in the bundesliga or german cup matches which is a worse league

You do realise that he can't get a sniff because Bayern's striker is Robert Lewandowski, arguably the best player in the world right now? 

10 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

9 points separates 3rd and 11th.  So I don't think we can read too much into position at the moment

What is a given is

1. We need striker options. Cenk is either going or not good enough

2. Top level strikers aren't widely available in January.  

We have to play this smartly. A loan to buy option for a potentially very good player or Dzeko on a free is the smart approach 

12 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

I understand. As I said, we currently have one striker, so if he’s good enough he could give us the chance to play with two. His age is irrelevant. 
He can’t get a sniff for one of the best teams in the world, not easy getting in at Bayern. 

for the record i am for this move.  we need a BACKUP striker.  i am not for throwing him into the starting lineup and changing our formation right away as Steve has suggested.  that is the only point i was contesting.  

And maybe it's not wise to go all out attack with two strikers in every game, but what an option when such a strategy makes sense. We're too dependent on DC-L right now, so an alternative is important. Using both together, for me, is a fantastic prospect. We'd have to see what Carlo believes is the best approach.

that would be fine if we were signing eden dzeko but we aren't.  this is a signing from bayern's u-21 team.  i don't expect him to have much impact, i would expect him to be one for the future.  i'd prefer a veteran who offers something now for the backup, and zirkzee signing for the u-21 team and to groom for the future.

28 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

sounds like we are going to miss out on this lad - not sure how you tempt somebody to the club if he wants to move in order to get regular first team football. He's not proven enough to be anywhere near a regular, even off the bench.  

Right you are. Can’t blame him. At his age I’d want first team football as well. If he’s successful he will be able to move on to a bigger club in a couple seasons.