IGNORED

Newcastle (Home) Saturday 30 January

markjazzbassist

I'll stick my head in a blender if we drop more points to this dross. They're so lucky that they managed to get some points on the board early doors as they're the 19th best team in the division, lost of ideas and being led by an absolute dinosaur. 

If it's anything other than a (convincing) win then I'll be unhappy. Whatever side in blue goes out should be capable of getting there points here. 

7 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

2-0 up at home with a minute of added time left to play and it finished 2-2. You don’t get more Everton than that. 

After playing brilliantly for the 92minutes (or whatever it was) before. Didn’t we bring Niasse on really late and he could have made it 3 but just fell over instead?

1 hour ago, c1982 said:

After playing brilliantly for the 92minutes (or whatever it was) before. Didn’t we bring Niasse on really late and he could have made it 3 but just fell over instead?

Didn't he go to break away with the ball and just run into their player giving them the ball back and then they scored? I think it was him. Someone fucked up, I know that.

It was my end where Newcastle got those goals and you could feel the devastation and shock all around you. I feel sick now, remembering it.

I've erased the 2-2 from my mind, but the two that fucked up were Holgate and Delph. At 2-0, Holgate could have cleared the ball upfield but instead knocked it out for a throw in (under no pressure) and from the resulting throw in they scored. 

Then from KO, rather than keeping possession Delph twatted it 70 yards to their centre back and the resulting counter attack was bundled over the line. 

It's the most I've felt sick at a game, never felt anything like it too because you could hear a pin drop leaving the stands and walking through the streets back to the car park - no venting, no praising. Silence.

Big result needed here.

United lost to Sheffield, Aston dropped points against burnley and Chelsea held. Win this and we are still hanging around 4th with a decent fixture list to close out the season. Need to scrap hard for points over the 3/4 games until we have some first teamers back and full fit. Doucoure will add so much strength and hoping himself with Allan for the last half of the season brings us back to a complete team and we can capitalise on our strong defensive performances.

Olsen for pickford as well. 

8 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Olsen

coleman Mina keane digne

Doucoure gomes

James

iwobi          DCL      Richarlison

eh fuck it, have a go

Can’t drop Godfrey. Lads absolute class and epitomises Everton in my opinion. 

Might seem a little bit out of the box, but in a year or two when Seamus retires (or leaves) I can really see Godfrey making a good stake to be captain. As @Btay says, he's "Everton" and I could really see him being a team leader with a little bit more time to settle in. 

I mentioned it in the matchday thread, but if Max Aarons is anywhere near his level then we should do all we can to bring him in.

46 minutes ago, Btay said:

As harsh as it is it really should happen. We need proper full backs for this one - Newcastle are a poor, poor side and we should be going at them more than we've been doing to sides recently. Coleman is well on the wane but he's had his rest and should come in. And Digne definitely needs to play LB.

48 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

As harsh as it is it really should happen. We need proper full backs for this one - Newcastle are a poor, poor side and we should be going at them more than we've been doing to sides recently. Coleman is well on the wane but he's had his rest and should come in. And Digne definitely needs to play LB.

Agreed. But just to wind you up a bit, I’d still have Godfrey play but as DCM if Doucoure isn’t playing for some reason. 

22 minutes ago, Matt said:

Agreed. But just to wind you up a bit, I’d still have Godfrey play but as DCM if Doucoure isn’t playing for some reason. 

It wouldn't wind me up. He's played there a lot more than Holgate has, albeit in the lower leagues. I thought there was a decent chance he'd play there last night with Digne returning.

I'd be gutted if Doucoure was out though. While his passing can be erratic we miss his energy and ball recoveries massively.

12 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

It wouldn't wind me up. He's played there a lot more than Holgate has, albeit in the lower leagues. I thought there was a decent chance he'd play there last night with Digne returning.

I'd be gutted if Doucoure was out though. While his passing can be erratic we miss his energy and ball recoveries massively.

Damn, mission failed :crying: 

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

So you think Mina is decent now.....

15 minutes ago, Btay said:

So you think Mina is decent now.....

He has been of late, and long may it continue. Not seen him do any stupid “throw the leg out” defending or climbing all over people unnecessarily. If this is the real Mina, then I’ll happily hold my hands up and admit I should’ve been more patient (although, in my defence, it should never have taken this long).

Carlo now has 4 solid CBs to choose from, 2 of which can play emergency FB or DCM. That’s a nice situation to be in. 

Hoping to see a better approach to this game as it's Newcastle at home ( who are crap at the moment ).

Will tear out what's left of my widows peak  if we go 1-0 up to then set up camp around our 18 yard line.

Not a Davies fan so hopefully he will make way for Dacoure instead of Gomes, that said, Gomes didn't cover himself in glory last game. 

Not dropping Pickford as he would clearly benefit from a run of games. 

Pickford.

Coleman     Godrey    Keane   Digne

Gomes     Dacoure      

James             Gylfi            Richy

DCL                   

5 hours ago, Btay said:

he is doing well, but we have 6 more games in the shortest month of the year.  we will need rotation to keep everyone fresh and free of injury.  it's not dropping him, carlo has shown players can be moved in/out and it doesn't mean anything.  he has "dropped" people but he's had a word and said so to the media.  we need to have a big club mentality, City players regularly state they understand they can't play every match, but they know they will get their playing time.  It's the same with us now.

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

he is doing well, but we have 6 more games in the shortest month of the year.  we will need rotation to keep everyone fresh and free of injury.  it's not dropping him, carlo has shown players can be moved in/out and it doesn't mean anything.  he has "dropped" people but he's had a word and said so to the media.  we need to have a big club mentality, City players regularly state they understand they can't play every match, but they know they will get their playing time.  It's the same with us now.

Agree here. The biggest benefit of having a lot of good defenders is...we have a lot of good defenders. We can rotate and keep them fresh. Big advantage over a lot of other clubs especially when we have so many games in a short span. Not rotating would mitigate an area of real strength. 

I think the defeat away to them this season to me was the most annoying points drop so far this season - as that game was there for the taking, as Newcastle did fook all special that game. 

Newcastle are piss poor and the team most out of form in the Premiership. We should be playing Newcastle off the park with a comparably well rested squad.

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Fair point mark!

20 hours ago, RuffRob said:

I think the defeat away to them this season to me was the most annoying points drop so far this season - as that game was there for the taking, as Newcastle did fook all special that game. 

Newcastle are piss poor and the team most out of form in the Premiership. We should be playing Newcastle off the park with a comparably well rested squad.

Well said. My brother supports Newcastle so I watch most of their games as well...they are dreadful. Certainly look the 3rd worst team in the league and it wouldn't shock me to see Brighton and Fulham get by them if they don't turn things around quickly. I'd even argue Sheffield are better at this point. No game is easy in the premier league if you don't come in with the right mindset but anything less than a win here would be massively disappointing. 

Olsen

Coleman Mina Keane Digne

Davies Doucoure James

Iwobi DCL Richy

3 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Well said. My brother supports Newcastle so I watch most of their games as well...they are dreadful. Certainly look the 3rd worst team in the league and it wouldn't shock me to see Brighton and Fulham get by them if they don't turn things around quickly. I'd even argue Sheffield are better at this point. No game is easy in the premier league if you don't come in with the right mindset but anything less than a win here would be massively disappointing. 

Olsen

Coleman Mina Keane Digne

Davies Doucoure James

Iwobi DCL Richy

No Godfrey and Davies, Iwobi in the starting line up. 
I will turn over if this happens tomorrow.