IGNORED

Leeds (Away) Wednesday 3 February

markjazzbassist

their all action game was too much for us last time, they are coming off a big win and we are coming off a demoralizing loss.  without allan this could be very difficult.  let's hope we have a game plan (likely sit and counter) and are able to get points early which seems to work well for us.

Olsen

Coleman Mina Keane Digne

Davies Doucoure

Gomes

James            DCL     Iwobi

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

their all action game was too much for us last time, they are coming off a big win and we are coming off a demoralizing loss.  without allan this could be very difficult.  let's hope we have a game plan (likely sit and counter) and are able to get points early which seems to work well for us.

Olsen

Coleman Mina Keane Digne

Davies Doucoure

Gomes

James            DCL     Iwobi

I think he will recall Godfrey and Holgate in the back four and revert back to parking the bus  to try and contain them in the hope we can sneak a goal on the counter

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I think he will recall Godfrey and Holgate in the back four and revert back to parking the bus  to try and contain them in the hope we can sneak a goal on the counter

I think that is where they have struggled the most. If you give them space they can play through you and its not like we are going to match them for energy or patterns of attack.

We will get chances in this game, just need to convert.

20 minutes ago, barryj said:

I think he can. Only saying this as Klopp mention he was unlikely to start their new signings indicating he could if he wanted. 

Was watching the beginning of Sheffield/West Brom and they said Maitland Niles would be available for West Brom's next match but not today. Maybe it's just matches that happen the day after deadline day?

16 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Was watching the beginning of Sheffield/West Brom and they said Maitland Niles would be available for West Brom's next match but not today. Maybe it's just matches that happen the day after deadline day?

I’d assume as it’s less than 24 hrs.

Edit. Read elsewhere he’s not eligible for tonight. 

Two interesting bits of news from Ancelotti in last paragraph of this article: (1) Holgate and Godfrey to start today, and (2) Champions League is “beyond us now.”  Not literally, of course, but that Newcastle debacle seems to have left Carlo in a “realistic” mood.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/02/joshua-king-everton-future-down-to-the-player-says-carlo-ancelotti

1 hour ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Two interesting bits of news from Ancelotti in last paragraph of this article: (1) Holgate and Godfrey to start today, and (2) Champions League is “beyond us now.”  Not literally, of course, but that Newcastle debacle seems to have left Carlo in a “realistic” mood.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/02/joshua-king-everton-future-down-to-the-player-says-carlo-ancelotti

It’s going to be a sit in and hope game then. With the way we’ve been attacking I don’t have much of that hope!

We need to have a strong midfield and when we don't play 2 genuine midfielders we have a non existent midfield. Against Newcastle we were done by Cabbage Head, we thought they would sit back and try to git us on the break, and we would need lots of attacking players to break them down. They actually played higher up the pitch and pressed us and we could not adapt, in part because Siggy is not a midfielder and in part because we lacked the cutting edge due to players being out of form to put the chances away we created.  If we had played Gomes instead of Siggy I think we would have been in a much better shape to compete and win the game.

If we we are playing Holgate he will be at right back and we could see Godfrey in midfield as a holding player along with Dacoure, and Gomes with James on the left and Iwobi on the right, which I would like to see. Richarlison is so out of form he cant start until he gets his confidence and form back.

Olsen

Holgate       Mina     Keane    Dinge

Godfrey  

Dacoure            Gomes

James                DCL         Iwobi

8 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

It’s going to be a sit in and hope game then. With the way we’ve been attacking I don’t have much of that hope!

The Newcastle disaster has temporarily left me hopeless.  Still, I was a little surprised that Ancelotti would publicly say we’ve no chance at CL.  Seems realistic, sure.  Maybe it’s his way to challenge the lads to show some energy.

As to today, knowing Holgate and Godfrey will both start still leaves the mystery of where each will line up.  Godfrey could play LB, RB, CH, even DCM.  Similarly, Holgate could play RB, CH, DCM.  Coleman could still start.  Ditto Digne, either at his normal LB or LWB or even LW.

I’m near hopeless but will still be glued to the tele and spewing venom at our players and theirs during the match.

Our weakness against a hard working team is our midfield, where there is no pace or work ethic.  Leeds weakness is 'set pieces'.  They have no height in their back four and the goalkeeper is slightly prone to mistakes from high crosses.  Kean and Mina, particularly, should have a field day as long as we  get good crosses into the box from set pieces.

1 hour ago, London Blue said:

We need to have a strong midfield and when we don't play 2 genuine midfielders we have a non existent midfield. Against Newcastle we were done by Cabbage Head, we thought they would sit back and try to git us on the break, and we would need lots of attacking players to break them down. They actually played higher up the pitch and pressed us and we could not adapt, in part because Siggy is not a midfielder and in part because we lacked the cutting edge due to players being out of form to put the chances away we created.  If we had played Gomes instead of Siggy I think we would have been in a much better shape to compete and win the game.

If we we are playing Holgate he will be at right back and we could see Godfrey in midfield as a holding player along with Dacoure, and Gomes with James on the left and Iwobi on the right, which I would like to see. Richarlison is so out of form he cant start until he gets his confidence and form back.

Olsen

Holgate       Mina     Keane    Dinge

Godfrey  

Dacoure            Gomes

James                DCL         Iwobi

I’d have Richie in as he’s got to turn a corner soon. 

Not looking forward to this at all, think we will be well beaten but these pre-match feelings are usually the recipe for the best nights. Hopefully the lads make a fool out of me and play Leeds off the park, given our last two results I would take a 1-0 win with a deflected goal off the referee's backside. 

Just win Everton, just win.

Olsen

Coleman   Keane   Mina       Digne

Doucoure      Gomes

Iwobi          James        Richarlison 

DCL

I think this is what our strongest line up should be if we want to go and try to compete and win a game (we shouldn't need to be playing Leeds with 3 or 4 centre backs in the team) - As Ancelotti said after the Newcastle game, the quality is there, the player just have to make sure the work as hard if not hard than the opposition and win the second balls. I would sacrifice Gomes for Davies is it meant the full back get further up the pitch. 

Maybe King coming off the bench if a goal is needed in the last 30min, I would be surprised to see him start the game. In a way, I actually hope he is not needed tonight and we are defending a lead at the hour mark.