IGNORED

Spurs (FA Cup Home) Wednesday 10 February

markjazzbassist

7 hours ago, Bill said:

We have to play the best team we can, this is no time to swap and change players or positions.

Why play Digne and Godfrey both out of position, Digne is the best full back we have and Godfrey although he is very versatile is right footed.   Gomes and James must play if fit so its a case of playing Coleman or Godfrey at RB.  Must play the best eleven at this stage of the competition if we want to get through.

Digne is actually pretty wank at defending and Godfrey has been excellent there. 2 strikers up top so Digne whipping balls in is a no brainer really. 

I've been thinking lately that I would be happy with Lucas Digne being an out and out left winger for us going forward, his best attributes are in the attacking department so why not put him in a place that he can focus on these attributes?

Godfrey behind would surely allow him to have pretty much a free reign out wide. Not sure what the rest of the forum thinks on this idea.

21 minutes ago, Btay said:

Digne is actually pretty wank at defending and Godfrey has been excellent there. 2 strikers up top so Digne whipping balls in is a no brainer really. 

6 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

I've been thinking lately that I would be happy with Lucas Digne being an out and out left winger for us going forward, his best attributes are in the attacking department so why not put him in a place that he can focus on these attributes?

Godfrey behind would surely allow him to have pretty much a free reign out wide. Not sure what the rest of the forum thinks on this idea.

8 assists last season and 7 so far this season, I think Digne does OK from RB  so why put him anywhere else, 

1 hour ago, Bill said:

8 assists last season and 7 so far this season, I think Digne does OK from RB  so why put him anywhere else, 

I have never questioned his attacking, it’s actually why I’m okay pushing him up further because he is far better at attacking than defending.

1 hour ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

It doesn’t have to be every game but it’s an option. Digne has real quality out wide and Richarlison just doesn’t seem to be on it right now out there. Hopefully getting him central he can get a goal and get back to his goal scoring form.

We are in a good position this year and we’ve done it without Richarlison banging in goals. Could be the difference in us making top 4 or not.

1 hour ago, Btay said:

I agree his actual defending is poor but his total package is good, it’s a strange one but Godfrey LB and Digne in front of him worked well and maybe worth pursuing. 

Just now, markjazzbassist said:

Digne was a great defender the last 2 years not sure why all of a sudden people are saying he’s not.  Man city wanted him for heavens sake!  He got injured and had the kid, let’s give him some time to get back into it

1v1 he’s not great. Man City fullbacks aren’t asked to defend the same way ours are. They are pretty much wingers. Can’t compare.

23 minutes ago, Btay said:

1v1 he’s not great. Man City fullbacks aren’t asked to defend the same way ours are. They are pretty much wingers. Can’t compare.

I have never had a problem with Dinge's defending, 1v1 or otherwise. To me he is a great attacking full back, who is good defensively. If someone has stats to back up their assertions that he is poor defensively then lets see them.

Dinge is one of the best left backs in the league, which is why he was signed by Barcelona, is in the ridiculously talented French national team and was wanted by City.  You can play him at left wing, but he is not a left winger / inside forward and  he would not be as effective as someone who naturally plays there because he lacks the skills necessary. Yes he can cross the ball very well, but that's not the only skill you require.

He is most effective when he can run past the wide player into space that the wide player has created by drawing off the defence. 

Godfrey is going to be a great defender, he can play anywhere in the back 4 and I think in a holding role in midfield, but he is probably best as a commanding centre back who can drive out of defence. Is he so good that we should move people from their natural positions to accommodate him in the team? 

I don't think so, I think in normal times Dinge and Ritchy or another wide attacking player is optimal to Godfrey and Dinge. Its a useful thing to be able to do if you need to. For me play the best players in their most effective positions, for Godfrey that would be centre back or right back until we sign a new right back in the summer.

5 hours ago, London Blue said:

I have never had a problem with Dinge's defending, 1v1 or otherwise. To me he is a great attacking full back, who is good defensively. If someone has stats to back up their assertions that he is poor defensively then lets see them.

Sad that you're asking for stats. If you're watching him you can see he's let his man go, too rash, caught up field or gave a silly free kick away. If you've got access to them stats I'll happily analyse them. If you can't provide them stats go rewatch the Rotherham game, league one right back had him in knots.

But any how here's a little team stat for yer; we concede twice as many with him in the team than without.

8 games missed. 6 goals conceded. 0.75 goals conceded per game.

15 games played. 22 goals conceded. 1.47 goals conceded per game.

As for city wanting him. They didn't buy Walker for his defensive abilities.

Digne is one of the best left backs in the league but that's more down to the modern game allowing for his strengths going forward to outweigh his average defending.

So quiet. Nerves? Folks just busy working? 

Need help with my morality/conscience: As a Yank I promised myself a few years ago that I would not miss any FA Cup Final Everton qualifies for. Will cost me $700-800 round trip and can get there and back in about 30 hours. That said, would I be a horrible Evertonian if I had some doubts over whether I want them to make the final this year? ...considering I obviously cannot attend. I'm torn over whether this degree of selfishness is justified considering all that I invest in them mentally and financially. 

12 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Need help with my morality/conscience: As a Yank I promised myself a few years ago that I would not miss any FA Cup Final Everton qualifies for. Will cost me $700-800 round trip and can get there and back in about 30 hours. That said, would I be a horrible Evertonian if I had some doubts over whether I want them to make the final this year? ...considering I obviously cannot attend. I'm torn over whether this degree of selfishness is justified considering all that I invest in them mentally and financially. 

I think you could keep the money with a clear conscience this year (if we make the final), if you can't get into Wembley where would you watch it anyway? I missed the final in 2009 when my name didn't come up in the "last chance" draw so I watched it on the big screen at Goodison, but that wouldn't be an option this year. So difficult to get a ticket unless you're a season ticket holder/regular travelling fan anyway but I have 1984 in the bank, I have my memory.

12 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

You have the morals of a yard dog! 
I’ve  never managed to get to a final either, highly unlikely it will be in front of a crown this year, so we all know what’s going to happen now I’m a ST holder 

34 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

You have the morals of a yard dog! 
I’ve  never managed to get to a final either, highly unlikely it will be in front of a crown this year, so we all know what’s going to happen now I’m a ST holder 

Your sacrifice could be the club's gain, I salute you.

I'd be worried about that bench against Rotherham and Sheffield, nevermind Spurs - Jesus wept. 

Hoping we can somehow get ahead early so that when we do need to make subs, it's the likes of Holgate that are coming on as opposed to shoehorning Bernard/Onyango up front.

I think this has all the makings of a 0-0, with either a late goal or a winner in extra time (similar to United last night against West Ham).

1 minute ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

I'd be worried about that bench against Rotherham and Sheffield, nevermind Spurs - Jesus wept. 

Hoping we can somehow get ahead early so that when we do need to make subs, it's the likes of Holgate that are coming on as opposed to shoehorning Bernard/Onyango up front. 

Has there been a mad outbreak that I'm unaware of? Josh King for example not on the bench yet there's two academy goalkeepers?

Josh King is cup tied