IGNORED

Southampton (Home) Monday 1 March

markjazzbassist

12 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

we have got to start to improving our home record sometime! I think this has to be, and will be, the next game that we really roll our sleeves up. If we don't, then we are simply not going to reap the benefits of some of our other fantastic results we have had this season.

After the Derby win, this has been the first time that I have truly though that CL might actually be a realistic target. The squad is currently in good shape and the extra bit of good news this week means that the vibe around the place is as good as it has ever been in the Premiership - and we have Ancelotti at the helm. 

Given what we fans know about the 'state' of the club at this moment, I think the bookies are giving us decent odds at the moment - are West Ham really twice as likely as we are to finish top 4?

image.png.0cd395185f818dc18e241f116d832d4e.png

COYB

We still have Chelsea West Ham and City away I would back us to beat the first 2, and with City last game of the season and them probably already crowned as champions by then if we needed a point or 3 from that game for a top 4 finish, we have the team and and belief to get what we need from that game.

Our season is going to depend on us showing the same commitment against the Southampton’s and Burnley’s and alike, beating Chelsea Leicester Spurs and Liverpool will be meaningless if we keep buckling to the lesser team’s. 

59 minutes ago, MikeO said:

We lost 2-0 there so not too sure about that.

I meant in general we are better away from home regardless of what team it is we are playing, for what ever reason this season we have a better chance of losing at home to the Saints than losing away to the big 6. 

20 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I meant in general we are better away from home regardless of what team it is we are playing, for what ever reason this season we have a better chance of losing at home to the Saints than losing away to the big 6. 

I know what you meant I was just being pedantic. Just doing my job guv, no need to give me a fucking hard time:shakingfist:

12 hours ago, Palfy said:

We still have Chelsea West Ham and City away I would back us to beat the first 2, and with City last game of the season and them probably already crowned as champions by then if we needed a point or 3 from that game for a top 4 finish, we have the team and and belief to get what we need from that game.

Our season is going to depend on us showing the same commitment against the Southampton’s and Burnley’s and alike, beating Chelsea Leicester Spurs and Liverpool will be meaningless if we keep buckling to the lesser team’s. 

would love nothing more than us to beat city to beat liverpool to 4th

From the BBC:

Southampton midfielder Oriol Romeu will miss the rest of the season with an ankle injury which will need surgery.

The Spaniard, 29, came off with the problem during the closing stages of the 3-0 defeat at Leeds on Tuesday.

"He has a fracture on his ankle - it will take a minimum of three months until he is back" said Saints boss Ralph Hasenhuttl.

Southampton have several players out, including on-loan forward Takumi Minamino, who has a hamstring issue.

Defender Kyle Walker-Peters, midfielder Ibrahima Diallo and forward Theo Walcott will also miss Monday's Premier League match against Everton.

16 minutes ago, London Blue said:

From the BBC:

Southampton midfielder Oriol Romeu will miss the rest of the season with an ankle injury which will need surgery.

The Spaniard, 29, came off with the problem during the closing stages of the 3-0 defeat at Leeds on Tuesday.

"He has a fracture on his ankle - it will take a minimum of three months until he is back" said Saints boss Ralph Hasenhuttl.

Southampton have several players out, including on-loan forward Takumi Minamino, who has a hamstring issue.

Defender Kyle Walker-Peters, midfielder Ibrahima Diallo and forward Theo Walcott will also miss Monday's Premier League match against Everton.

Walcott obviously because he can't play against parent club.

Ward prowse ran the game last time out. I think a midfield of Davies, Allan and Doucoure should be too much for them at the moment now. Just need to get into them from the start!

Pickford

Coleman  Godfrey  Keane   Digne  

Doucoure      Davies     Allan 

Rodriguez         DCL       Richarlison

12 hours ago, Btay said:

Ward prowse ran the game last time out. I think a midfield of Davies, Allan and Doucoure should be too much for them at the moment now. Just need to get into them from the start!

Pickford

Coleman  Godfrey  Keane   Digne  

Doucoure      Davies     Allan 

Rodriguez         DCL       Richarlison

snap :) . But I would put Rodrigues in the middle with a bit of a free reign and DCL and Richarlison as a forward pair left and right, with a deeper midfield 3, both Coleman and Digne can then offer width. 

I also think Southampton have ran themselves in to the ground a bit since we last played them, it difficult to play high tempo football week in and week out (unless you have some of the very strongest players in the league in your team), and not suffer from it at the back end of the season.

I believe Ancelotti has been shrewd enough to get this Everton squad in to this position without wearing the players out. I am optomistic that we will have a decent run in. The next 6 game are going to be massive. 

11 hours ago, RuffRob said:

snap :) . But I would put Rodrigues in the middle with a bit of a free reign and DCL and Richarlison as a forward pair left and right, with a deeper midfield 3, both Coleman and Digne can then offer width. 

I also think Southampton have ran themselves in to the ground a bit since we last played them, it difficult to play high tempo football week in and week out (unless you have some of the very strongest players in the league in your team), and not suffer from it at the back end of the season.

I believe Ancelotti has been shrewd enough to get this Everton squad in to this position without wearing the players out. I am optomistic that we will have a decent run in. The next 6 game are going to be massive. 

We’ve got some big players getting back to fitness. Haven’t been able to field our strongest 11 since December. 

6 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

And yet, not one bit of moaning from our manager or players, unlike other cry arse clubs. 

No there hasn’t been, I think the most moaning I’ve seen about our predicament as been from our own supporters, who rant about our lack of depth in the squad being the reason we can’t cope with injuries, well I think that was proven to be wrong a good manager knows how to shuffle the pack. 

Perhaps just doing the obvious, Ancelotti is using the Newcastle and Fulham debacles to motivate the players for the Southampton match.  “We don’t want to make the same mistakes as we made in the past games at home.  A derby is a special game but this game has the same value.  The points on the table are the same.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/28/carlo-ancelotti-rues-everton-complacency-against-struggling-teams