Jump to content

Southampton (Home) Monday 1 March


Recommended Posts

we get a nice little break here before we have 3 matches in 7 days.  we will need to continue the momentum from the massive derby win.  it should give allan enough time to come back and dcl to continue to heal up and be at his best.  

 

                                 Pickford

         Coleman Holgate Keane Godfrey

          James   Davies  Allan   Digne

                     Richarlison DCL

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a week it’s been to be a blue! Finally beat The Shite at Analfield , BMD gets planning permission and we tie Lucas Digne   Down to a new long term contract  Nothing but positivity coming fro

Shambolic wins are better than fantastic defeats.

If we get three points I'll take whatever description you want to give us, age old definition of a good team is winning when playing badly.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

we get a nice little break here before we have 3 matches in 7 days.  we will need to continue the momentum from the massive derby win.  it should give allan enough time to come back and dcl to continue to heal up and be at his best.  

 

                                 Pickford

         Coleman Holgate Keane Godfrey

          James   Davies  Allan   Digne

                     Richarlison DCL

If you look at the remaining league fixtures we have (bar City on the final day) there's not one team I'm afraid of facing. Especially these next few weeks, if we stop playing down to the level of opposition, we could rack up some points.

Soton, West Brom, Chelsea, Burnley, Palace and Brighton are our next 6 in the league. We better be putting up some W's with those types of opponents

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

If you look at the remaining league fixtures we have (bar City on the final day) there's not one team I'm afraid of facing. Especially these next few weeks, if we stop playing down to the level of opposition, we could rack up some points.

Soton, West Brom, Chelsea, Burnley, Palace and Brighton are our next 6 in the league. We better be putting up some W's with those types of opponents

Exactly right. Been on about this for months that if we stayed in touch with the top 4 we could really push on. Add in the returns of some key players, its really up to us from now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Just had a look at the table, one thing we need to start doing is winning games by multiple goals. We have the worst goal difference in the top half, and considering how close the table is, goal difference might be what takes us or doesn't take us to Europe

I had a look too, City are only 16 points ahead of us, if we win our next six and they lose them all the title is nailed on for us IMO... 👀

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Just had a look at the table, one thing we need to start doing is winning games by multiple goals. We have the worst goal difference in the top half, and considering how close the table is, goal difference might be what takes us or doesn't take us to Europe

I was think the same thing, I feel we are going to need that 'extra' point at the end of the season. 

The thing is at 2/3 in to the season and we are still there or there about's for getting a European place (inc CL). So with just over a dozen or so premier league game to play - it really is game on now.  Yesterday was a big results - all season we have been taking plenty of points off all the teams that are fighting for the European places - the team should be full of confidence that this is where they belong - mixing it with the top 6. 

We are going in to the home straight now and should now have fire in our belly to treat every one of these remaining games as cup finals. This result is a platform. 

Ancelotti know this is the business end of the season better than everybody - I think resting the likes of Keane and others over January will be in preparation for the next last couple of months. I am sure he will have been mindful of making sure we don't run out of steam. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

No tough mid-week game, pretty much whole squad available, most players in good form now. Team coming off the back of a historical win. 

So conditions now perfect for playing Southampton a team not fighting releagation or trying to get in to Europe.

There will be no excuses for anything other than a top performance. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RuffRob said:

No tough mid-week game, pretty much whole squad available, most players in good form now. Team coming off the back of a historical win. 

So conditions now perfect for playing Southampton a team not fighting releagation or trying to get in to Europe.

There will be no excuses for anything other than a top performance. 

They are still a decent side and have added to their goal threat with Minamino uptop with Ings. An early goal though and I think we will be flying. Confidence must be high.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, London Blue said:

This is another must win for us, they all are now if we want Europe next season. 

We must make Goodison a fortress again. Couple of early goals and we can relax, a bit.

A very winnable game, which makes me nervous, but with Carlo and this squad I have faith.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I said it in the derby matchday thread, but I really do see a world where the win yesterday propels us to some excellent form and potentially a top 4 finish. 

The Evertonian in me also sees a world where we lose 2-0 in this match and all that confidence from the derby is shot. 

I hope (and I do genuinely think) I'm wrong on the last point, but it's in our nature to fear the worst. One reason I'm also optimistic is having 8 days off before this one with Soton. That's huge, as it allows us to hopefully get Allan and DCL back fully fit, ready to start.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/02/2021 at 21:36, dunlopp9987 said:

Just had a look at the table, one thing we need to start doing is winning games by multiple goals. We have the worst goal difference in the top half, and considering how close the table is, goal difference might be what takes us or doesn't take us to Europe

If we win games the GD will take care of itself, and don't forget the only time we qualified for CL we had a negative GD.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Southampton on the whole are still playing decent enough football but they are on a wretched run and their confidence looks like it is sapping. I think MJB is right earlier on in the thread in that we just let them run themselves into the ground and pick them off. We tried to outplay them at their place and they beat us all over the park, and even with their poor form, they could do it again if we give them the chance.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are going to be no excuses to come away second best to Southampton

- Southampton will have had less rest since there last game on Tuesday - so tiredness will not be a factor in our performance

- there should be no complacency - we have had our fingers burnt to many times with poor displays at home

- team form - we are of the back of our best result of the season (and generally a good season), Southampton are in very poor form 

- Injuries - we  have every position adequately covered with first choice players and also have one of the strongest benches we have had all season

- All our players are on pretty good form as individuals, - Keane, Davies, DCL are currently in the best form ever 

This HAS to be the game to shake this poor home form monkey off our back.

My belief is that Ancelotti has also been relatively careful managing the fatigue of the players so far this season - I think our players in general will have a fair bit left in the tank for the run in to the end of the season. We have been rotating players pretty well (some forced by injury) and we haven't spent the season with the players running around like headless chickens - pressing - pressing - pressing. I think Southampton are already paying the price for this since Xmas. Ancelotti is shrewd enough to know we are now in the business end of the season. 

My team for the weekend:

                    Pickford

Coleman    Keane    Godfrey     Digne

  Doucoure     Allan         Davies 

                   James

         DCL              Richarlison 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Palfy said:

I’d feel a bit more confident if we were playing them away, our home record is pretty poor compared to our away record. 

we have got to start to improving our home record sometime! I think this has to be, and will be, the next game that we really roll our sleeves up. If we don't, then we are simply not going to reap the benefits of some of our other fantastic results we have had this season.

After the Derby win, this has been the first time that I have truly though that CL might actually be a realistic target. The squad is currently in good shape and the extra bit of good news this week means that the vibe around the place is as good as it has ever been in the Premiership - and we have Ancelotti at the helm. 

Given what we fans know about the 'state' of the club at this moment, I think the bookies are giving us decent odds at the moment - are West Ham really twice as likely as we are to finish top 4?

image.png.0cd395185f818dc18e241f116d832d4e.png

COYB

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

we have got to start to improving our home record sometime! I think this has to be, and will be, the next game that we really roll our sleeves up. If we don't, then we are simply not going to reap the benefits of some of our other fantastic results we have had this season.

After the Derby win, this has been the first time that I have truly though that CL might actually be a realistic target. The squad is currently in good shape and the extra bit of good news this week means that the vibe around the place is as good as it has ever been in the Premiership - and we have Ancelotti at the helm. 

Given what we fans know about the 'state' of the club at this moment, I think the bookies are giving us decent odds at the moment - are West Ham really twice as likely as we are to finish top 4?

image.png.0cd395185f818dc18e241f116d832d4e.png

COYB

We still have Chelsea West Ham and City away I would back us to beat the first 2, and with City last game of the season and them probably already crowned as champions by then if we needed a point or 3 from that game for a top 4 finish, we have the team and and belief to get what we need from that game.

Our season is going to depend on us showing the same commitment against the Southampton’s and Burnley’s and alike, beating Chelsea Leicester Spurs and Liverpool will be meaningless if we keep buckling to the lesser team’s. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I meant in general we are better away from home regardless of what team it is we are playing, for what ever reason this season we have a better chance of losing at home to the Saints than losing away to the big 6. 

I know what you meant I was just being pedantic. Just doing my job guv, no need to give me a fucking hard time:shakingfist:

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Palfy said:

We still have Chelsea West Ham and City away I would back us to beat the first 2, and with City last game of the season and them probably already crowned as champions by then if we needed a point or 3 from that game for a top 4 finish, we have the team and and belief to get what we need from that game.

Our season is going to depend on us showing the same commitment against the Southampton’s and Burnley’s and alike, beating Chelsea Leicester Spurs and Liverpool will be meaningless if we keep buckling to the lesser team’s. 

would love nothing more than us to beat city to beat liverpool to 4th

Link to post
Share on other sites

From the BBC:

Southampton midfielder Oriol Romeu will miss the rest of the season with an ankle injury which will need surgery.

The Spaniard, 29, came off with the problem during the closing stages of the 3-0 defeat at Leeds on Tuesday.

"He has a fracture on his ankle - it will take a minimum of three months until he is back" said Saints boss Ralph Hasenhuttl.

Southampton have several players out, including on-loan forward Takumi Minamino, who has a hamstring issue.

Defender Kyle Walker-Peters, midfielder Ibrahima Diallo and forward Theo Walcott will also miss Monday's Premier League match against Everton.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, London Blue said:

From the BBC:

Southampton midfielder Oriol Romeu will miss the rest of the season with an ankle injury which will need surgery.

The Spaniard, 29, came off with the problem during the closing stages of the 3-0 defeat at Leeds on Tuesday.

"He has a fracture on his ankle - it will take a minimum of three months until he is back" said Saints boss Ralph Hasenhuttl.

Southampton have several players out, including on-loan forward Takumi Minamino, who has a hamstring issue.

Defender Kyle Walker-Peters, midfielder Ibrahima Diallo and forward Theo Walcott will also miss Monday's Premier League match against Everton.

Walcott obviously because he can't play against parent club.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ward prowse ran the game last time out. I think a midfield of Davies, Allan and Doucoure should be too much for them at the moment now. Just need to get into them from the start!

                        Pickford

Coleman  Godfrey  Keane   Digne  

    Doucoure      Davies     Allan 

  Rodriguez         DCL       Richarlison

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Btay said:

Ward prowse ran the game last time out. I think a midfield of Davies, Allan and Doucoure should be too much for them at the moment now. Just need to get into them from the start!

                        Pickford

Coleman  Godfrey  Keane   Digne  

    Doucoure      Davies     Allan 

  Rodriguez         DCL       Richarlison

 snap :) . But I would put Rodrigues in the middle with a bit of a free reign and DCL and Richarlison as a forward pair left and right, with a deeper midfield 3, both Coleman and Digne can then offer width. 

I also think Southampton have ran themselves in to the ground a bit since we last played them, it difficult to play high tempo football week in and week out (unless you have some of the very strongest players in the league in your team), and not suffer from it at the back end of the season.

I believe Ancelotti has been shrewd enough to get this Everton squad in to this position without wearing the players out. I am optomistic that we will have a decent run in. The next 6 game are going to be massive. 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, RuffRob said:

 snap :) . But I would put Rodrigues in the middle with a bit of a free reign and DCL and Richarlison as a forward pair left and right, with a deeper midfield 3, both Coleman and Digne can then offer width. 

I also think Southampton have ran themselves in to the ground a bit since we last played them, it difficult to play high tempo football week in and week out (unless you have some of the very strongest players in the league in your team), and not suffer from it at the back end of the season.

I believe Ancelotti has been shrewd enough to get this Everton squad in to this position without wearing the players out. I am optomistic that we will have a decent run in. The next 6 game are going to be massive. 

 

 

 

We’ve got some big players getting back to fitness. Haven’t been able to field our strongest 11 since December. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

And yet, not one bit of moaning from our manager or players, unlike other cry arse clubs. 

No there hasn’t been, I think the most moaning I’ve seen about our predicament as been from our own supporters, who rant about our lack of depth in the squad being the reason we can’t cope with injuries, well I think that was proven to be wrong a good manager knows how to shuffle the pack. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps just doing the obvious, Ancelotti is using the Newcastle and Fulham debacles to motivate the players for the Southampton match.  “We don’t want to make the same mistakes as we made in the past games at home.  A derby is a special game but this game has the same value.  The points on the table are the same.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/28/carlo-ancelotti-rues-everton-complacency-against-struggling-teams

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...